Is Anybody else frustrated with the organizations pitching philosophy

backdoorslider

4 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

It's not trolling, if it annoys you then that's on you. He should learn to locate his fastball. I don't even know why people are upset about such a benign observation.

Pinpoint control is, of course, very easily taught. As we can see with all of those pitchers on every other team who do nothing but hit the outside corner at the knees all day. It's a shame that the O's coaches are so incompetent that they can't explain or teach this simple concept.

2 minutes ago, deward said:

Pinpoint control is, of course, very easily taught. As we can see with all of those pitchers on every other team who do nothing but hit the outside corner at the knees all day. It's a shame that the O's coaches are so incompetent that they can't explain or teach this simple concept.

Might want to reconsider hyping up and drafting a pitcher very high if he cannot locate his fastball. You would think that scouts would prioritize the most important part in pitching, which is to locate your fastball at the knees on the outside corner. 

2 minutes ago, deward said:

They don't need pinpoint control.

All they have to do is throw low and outside fastball after low and outside fastball.

It's unstoppable.

• Haha 1

Here's something that deserves applause: letting Grayson throw nearly 100 pitches. I loved that, and it sounds like he loved it also, even though it didn't work out. He was clearly gassed around 85 pitches as his fastball was missing up consistently. But I really like letting him continue to pitch. Have to build that stamina. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They don't need pinpoint control.

All they have to do is throw low and outside fastball after low and outside fastball.

It's unstoppable.

It actually is though. Anybody who consistently throws low 90s or higher at the knees and hits the outside corner and mixes in a few off speed is going to be a very good MLB starter. It is extremely difficult to hit a baseball that is well located.

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Here's something that deserves applause: letting Grayson throw nearly 100 pitches. I loved that, and it sounds like he loved it also, even though it didn't work out. He was clearly gassed around 85 pitches as his fastball was missing up consistently. But I really like letting him continue to pitch. Have to build that stamina. 

He needs to pace himself better. Throttle it down a little bit. Stop the max effort stuff and sit at 93 and focus on location. It's all about location. Also needs to get in better shape. Should be out going for more runs. Needs to strengthen his body. Should be doing lots of pushups and pullups and leg conditioning exercises. He look soft and skinny fat.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, backdoorslider said:

Might want to reconsider hyping up and drafting a pitcher very high if he cannot locate his fastball. You would think that scouts would prioritize the most important part in pitching, which is to locate your fastball at the knees on the outside corner. 

I find this entire thread silly (and I mean in a laughing way).  So many points being argued are easily countered with either "it was the old regime" or "we have already moved in this direction".  I think we're doing a lot of good things on the pitching side.  To argue about Grayson's control after 2 major league starts is just crazy to me.  Up until this spring, he had very good control and I have every reason to think he will re-gain that control as he gets more starts.  @backdoorslider - Grayson has located his fastball very well.  Don't judge based on a small sample size.  Also, the Orioles have stayed away from drafting pitchers early under the current regime.  

Cut Grayson some slack.  My goodness!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, backdoorslider said:

It's not trolling, if it annoys you then that's on you. He should learn to locate his fastball. I don't even know why people are upset about such a benign observation.

That's what a troll would say. I don't take trolling serious enough to be annoyed by it. I just call it out. You act like he has wasted the last five years of his life by not trying to learn to locate his fastball. I think many people have pointed out that your premise is flawed. If it was easy anyone could do it. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

That's what a troll would say. I don't take trolling serious enough to be annoyed by it. I just call it out. You act like he has wasted the last five years of his life by not trying to learn to locate his fastball. I think many people have pointed out that your premise is flawed. If it was easy anyone could do it. 

We were drafted #11 overall? No we weren't. If I could throw 93 on the black I'd be pitching in the MLB right now, but I can't. Rodriguez is an MLB pitcher. He needs to spot the fastball at the knees, consistently. It's literally his job.

2 hours ago, backdoorslider said:

He needs to pace himself better. Throttle it down a little bit. Stop the max effort stuff and sit at 93 and focus on location. It's all about location. Also needs to get in better shape. Should be out going for more runs. Needs to strengthen his body. Should be doing lots of pushups and pullups and leg conditioning exercises. He look soft and skinny fat.

Many pitching coaches will tell you that "throttling it down does not directly lead to better control. It is about whether you are under control and using sound movement patterns. IIRC GR has a history of having solid if not plus command. 

2 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

We were drafted #11 overall? No we weren't. If I could throw 93 on the black I'd be pitching in the MLB right now, but I can't. Rodriguez is an MLB pitcher. He needs to spot the fastball at the knees, consistently. It's literally his job.

You're just being silly now. I'm done.