Cedric Mullins 2023

interloper

He's starting to heat up and it's good to see.  I like the spread between the batting average and the on base percentage.  Quite frankly, I am not concerned if he doesn't hit for as much power this year, just if he gets on base at the current clip throughout the season that's great.  Especially with the uptick in stolen bases.  

I think @Tony-OHsaid that he felt Cedric was swinging for the fences a little bit, I can understand that.  And if he's not trying to be so homer happy but more gap-to-gap, I think that suits him really well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the home run. 

I have this weird thing where I feel like Ced is having terrible ABs, but then I look at his numbers and they're very good. Seems like he hits a lot of weak fly balls, but again, his numbers are good. Maybe I'm just paying attention at the wrong times, lol. 

Edited by interloper

45 minutes ago, interloper said:

Great to see the home run. 

I have this weird thing where I feel like Ced is having terrible ABs, but then I look at his numbers and they're very good. Seems like he hits a lot of weak fly balls, but again, his numbers are good. Maybe I'm just paying attention at the wrong times, lol. 

1.054 OPS the last 12 games coming into today, and a single in the first inning.  

• Upvote 1

Since 2021 (26-28 yr), Mullins has slashed .273/.341/.459/.800 (122 OPS+) and has been worth 10.4 rWAR and fWAR. His defense this year has ben a little down from last year, but I think his numbers are just recovering from that tough first Red Sox series in Boston when all of the orioles outfielders struggled. 

I'm glad to have him patrolling CF for the Orioles. 

By the way, Adam Jones slashed .284/.321/.489/.810 (119 OPS+) over his 26-28 yr old years. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

By the way, Adam Jones slashed .284/.321/.489/.810 (119 OPS+) over his 26-28 yr old years. 

And didn’t steal 73 bases in the process.  Long way to go in 2023, but it’s certainly possible that Cedric will have a higher 3-year WAR than Adam did in those years — and those were Adam’s best 3 years.  

After Mullins took a couple of close pitches and drew a walk in the 8th, I got to thinking that Cedric’s plate discipline seemed much better this year than last year.  Sure enough, his O-swing rate has dropped from 34.2% to 21.8%, by far the lowest of his career.  Not only that, but he’s swinging more often at pitches in the zone, 73.5% to 71.7% last year.   

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And didn’t steal 73 bases in the process.  Long way to go in 2023, but it’s certainly possible that Cedric will have a higher 3-year WAR than Adam did in those years — and those were Adam’s best 3 years.  

Yep, I didn't do the WAR because I can only break it down by year but my guess is Mullins will end up with the same or better WAR over that 3 year stretch.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

After Mullins took a couple of close pitches and drew a walk in the 8th, I got to thinking that Cedric’s plate discipline seemed much better this year than last year.  Sure enough, his O-swing rate has dropped from 34.2% to 21.8%, by far the lowest of his career.  Not only that, but he’s swinging more often at pitches in the zone, 73.5% to 71.7% last year.   

Not unsurpisingly, he's walking far more than he ever has before.  His 15 BB is on pace for over 90 BB; 50% higher than his previous career high.

People were asking "Where is the improvement going to come from now that all the big prospects are up?"

Well, MLs, at 26,27,28- the ages of Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Urias, Mateo- often are still getting better and adding to their games.  Mullins improved his arm last year, and seems to have improved his plate discipline this year.

Edited by Pickles
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Not unsurpisingly, he's walking far more than he ever has before.  His 15 BB is on pace for over 90 BB; 50% higher than his previous career high.

People were asking "Where is the improvement going to come from now that all the big prospects are up?"

Well, MLs, at 26,27,28- the ages of Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Urias, Mateo- often are still getting better and adding to their games.  Mullins improved his arm last year, and seems to have improved his plate discipline this year.

Whose asking that?

Who thinks all the big prospects are up?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Whose asking that?

Who thinks all the big prospects are up?

Well, I shouldn't have phrased it that way.  I guess, people have been saying how are we going to improve if we don't bring up the prospects to displace the young major leaguers?

How many people wanted to replace at least one of Urias or Mateo with one of Ortiz or Westburg for instance?

• Upvote 1

When Cedric is on his game - he is worth the price of admission.  He plays hard and is a joy to watch.  He pays all aspects of the game very well.  He hits for power, he can slap singles and doubles, he bunts, he takes extra bases,  he steals bases, and he plays a solid center field with some amazing catches.  He does it all.