Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think he's probably a pretty good closer, but he needs a fresh inning to do it.  Bringing him in the extra innings with a runner on 2nd isn't optimal.

It's a shame that he's credited with a blown save in the Boston series when McKenna dropped that ball.  That's not right.

I think it's more a shame that they get credited with blown saves in extra innings.  That's a run that you pretty much expect to score and are pleasantly surprised when it doesn't.

Bautista right now isn't as good as he was last year, which should not be surprising, but I still have a lot of confidence when he comes in.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

I think it's more a shame that they get credited with blown saves in extra innings.  That's a run that you pretty much expect to score and are pleasantly surprised when it doesn't.

Bautista right now isn't as good as he was last year, which should not be surprising, but I still have a lot of confidence when he comes in.

Agree with your first point, don't agree with your second.  My confidence in him isn't near what it was last year.

Solid chance, IMO, Cano is the closer at years end.

• Upvote 1

Another highwire act tonight.  I don't think anyone understood the move of yanking Cano so he could get a 4 out save.

IMO, the fact that he got the save is a bit immaterial here.  Getting a DP grounder was a bit lucky, but two walks to lead off the 9th was not optimal.

Bounced another pitch 45 feet from home plate to allow a baserunner to go from 2nd to 3rd.  IMO, it was a minor miracle that he navigated the last of the 8th and the 9th and that the Rays didn't score.  Wander Franco also didn't miss that last pitch by much.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Another highwire act tonight.  I don't think anyone understood the move of yanking Cano so he could get a 4 out save.

IMO, the fact that he got the save is a bit immaterial here.  Getting a DP grounder was a bit lucky, but two walks to lead off the 9th was not optimal.

Bounced another pitch 45 feet from home plate to allow a baserunner to go from 2nd to 3rd.  IMO, it was a minor miracle that he navigated the last of the 8th and the 9th and that the Rays didn't score.  Wander Franco also didn't miss that last pitch by much.

I think it’s clear that he pulled Cano because he didn’t want him running up another high pitch count. He was at 18 pitches. Maybe it’s a quick at bat..or maybe it takes another 7-10 pitches to get out of the inning.

Since Bautista was fresh and Cano has thrown a lot lately, he didn’t want it to get out of hand.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

He has struggled but still is getting it done. I have to imagine he will find it again.  I feel more comfortable with Baker at the moment not to mention Cano. 

The problem is the May schedule is such a bear that it isn't the optimal time to "get right". Very little room for error against quality opponents.

I loved what he did last year, I looked forward to him coming in. Not sure what happened. The split looked great a couple times tonight, then awful several other times.

I'd feel much more comfortable with a Baker/Cano setup/closer right now, but I don't see Hyde doing it.

Let's just win a few games by 3 or more runs. Please.

1 minute ago, Tbone83 said:

The problem is the May schedule is such a bear that it isn't the optimal time to "get right". Very little room for error against quality opponents.

I loved what he did last year, I looked forward to him coming in. Not sure what happened. The split looked great a couple times tonight, then awful several other times.

I'd feel much more comfortable with a Baker/Cano setup/closer right now, but I don't see Hyde doing it.

Let's just win a few games by 3 or more runs. Please.

If you look at his career before last year it is possible that last year was an outlier in which he could command his pitches.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it’s clear that he pulled Cano because he didn’t want him running up another high pitch count. He was at 18 pitches. Maybe it’s a quick at bat..or maybe it takes another 7-10 pitches to get out of the inning.

Since Bautista was fresh and Cano has thrown a lot lately, he didn’t want it to get out of hand.

That’s fair but I would have rolled the dice with Cano getting another out. 

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would agree with you except the importance of this game.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you look at his career before last year it is possible that last year was an outlier in which he could command his pitches.

Yeah, I guess I was...and still am...hoping he figured it out last year and going forward he was going to be solid. Time will tell I guess.

The silver lining is Bautista's stuff is not getting hit hard. He just gets in trouble with the walks.

For his first few games last year, the catcher would put the mitt near the middle. Over the course of the year as he demonstrated his command, the targets became more traditional. Should Adley just put the mitt down the middle now? Felix is pretty far off target when he misses but I wonder if some simplicity could help. He threw a splitter to Diaz today that still got a whiff despite being middle-middle.