Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

5 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

I hadn't been to a night game since Bautista took over as closer last year. Took the family to the game on Saturday night, and if you've seen it live, then you know: Bautista's entrance is freaking AWESOME. I don't often get fired up over shiny things, but the light show and the whole production when he enters the game is really, really cool. 

If you haven't seen it live, you gotta. 

Sorry for the old news post, but man... yeah.

I got my friend to go to the game last year where Kyle Bradish was within 1 out from a complete game shutout against the Astros. When Brandon Hyde went out and got Bautista, my friend was stunned by the light show and entrance. He couldn't contain his excitement because of how awesome he thought it was. If only you could have heard his reaction. He didn't expect to see it lol.

Sorry to be “that guy” but I don’t like it.  To me it hypes up the other team.  And I just don’t think Bautista really has earned that kind of treatment.  He’s been our closer for about 4 months.   He’s blown 4 saves (3 this year) in 29 opportunities since taking over as closer, which is pretty average.  I love Bautista but I’d rather have him just come in and do his job.  He’s fun to watch and dominant when he’s on, but the last thing I want to see is a big light show followed by a blown save.  

Just now, Frobby said:

Sorry to be “that guy” but I don’t like it.  To me it hypes up the other team.  And I just don’t think Bautista really has earned that kind of treatment.  He’s been our closer for about 4 months.   He’s blown 4 saves (3 this year) in 29 opportunities since taking over as closer, which is pretty average.  I love Bautista but I’d rather have him just come in and do his job.  He’s fun to watch and dominant when he’s on, but the last thing I want to see is a big light show followed by a blown save.  

We went to a game last season and has a chance to see it. I liked it, but I find it a little weird that "The Wire" is Baltimore's claim to fame. I lived there in the 90's and can assure you that the show was a pretty accurate representation of the city. The weird part is, I would think that would be an image that they would want to lose.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree that it's too much but I do like the Omar whistle. Maybe hold the light show until the save is realized? That would give you more time to anticipate Omar coming.

I'm with Frobby in the sense that it should not have just been given automatically. I mean this was a rookie and nothing was earned when it was implemented, and we've seen how quickly things can change during the course of a season based on how Bautista got the closing role in the 1st place.

If we are going to have such a cool production, it should be with a player who had been consistent in shutting down the opponent over a number of seasons and had already established himself.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No one wants to see the blown save and no one besides you, I’m guessing, think there is any correlation between the light show and the blown saves.   

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

No one wants to see the blown save and no one besides you, I’m guessing, think there is any correlation between the light show and the blown saves.   

Oh, I didn’t say there was a correlation.  It would just annoy me all the more when it happens.  FWIW, only 2 of the 4 blown saves were at home.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I really don't think Frobby believes, sees, or was implying any correlation between the light show and the blown saves. Me personally, I would save the light show for after a save has happened, no matter who does it.

Certain things just annoy me, like when the announcer assumes the Orioles are going to win, before they’ve won.  “With this win, the Orioles will have been 8-2 over their last 10 games.”  Instead of “if the O’s can hold on to win…”. And that’s kind of how I feel about the light show, though I hate the announcer thing worse.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Certain things just annoy me, like when the announcer assumes the Orioles are going to win, before they’ve won.  “With this win, the Orioles will have been 8-2 over their last 10 games.”  Instead of “if the O’s can hold on to win…”. And that’s kind of how I feel about the light show, though I hate the announcer thing worse.  

Geoff Arnold does this a lot and it drives me crazy.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Oh, I didn’t say there was a correlation.  It would just annoy me all the more when it happens.  FWIW, only 2 of the 4 blown saves were at home.  

And the two road ones were the result of a dropped fly ball and an extra innings free RISP.  That's half his blown saves.  They call count, but they aren't all equal.....

I think the light show is cool, in the same vein that the Bird Bath is cool.  Make the stadium a fun and unique experience in as many ways as possible, I say.  Hype the players.  If the other teams  needs a light show to get fired up for a close game in the ninth, then we've won already....and if Felix has his good stuff, it won't matter (nor will it matter if he doesn't!)

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You realize they're saying the exact same thing with different wording?  WILL HAVE BEEN 8-2, etc vs 'IF THE O'S, etc?  Both are ifs and maybes.