Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

I agree with what seems to be the general consensuses in this thread about Hyde overworking Bautista. I agree with another member who suggested we shouldn't use Bautista again until at least Monday (which would actually be Tuesday because they have the day off Monday), but I wonder how the double header plays into this. The double header probably throws a wrench into the plan to give Bautista the weekend off.

One of my gripes with Hyde is how quick he is to yank a relief pitcher. He seems to yank guys after they get 2 outs, and rarely (if ever) let's them pitch more than 1 inning. I think the Bullpen would be in better shape if he'd give more guys the opportunity to go 2 innings, but then again what do I know? It seems like a catch 22 because in spite of my gripe, Hyde has been able to manage his Bullpen to a very successful low ERA and keep leads in tact. Maybe it's a trade off of taking on more fatigued pitchers for less runs scored in Hyde's professional opinion. I just don't know how he can sustain that style of managing over a 162 game season.

There was a time when you only needed around 3 pitchers in a normal MLB game and managers would let a middle reliever go for 2 or more innings. Those days seem to be long gone, or maybe it's just because I only watch the Orioles and Brandon Hyde.

But back to Bautista, I wonder if he'll be able to get any rest now with a double header scheduled. I have my anxiety about this.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

which is why he needs several days off.  Does Hyde want to be w/o Bautista for 2 or 3 games or 2 or 3 months?

Hyde needs to stop giving him every save opportunity. It’d be alright to throw Cano and Baker and Coulombe a bone every so often in order to keep Bautista fresh. 

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hyde needs to stop giving him every save opportunity. It’d be alright to throw Cano and Baker and Coulombe a bone every so often in order to keep Bautista fresh. 

Cano does have one save. Cano pitched 1.2 on 4/26, while Bautista pitched 1 on 4/26 an d 4/27. Cano was slightly fresher but arguably going to Cano for a second inning would have been over usage of him. As it turned out, both guys looked fresh and performed fine.

Baker and Coulombe both pitched in this game, so giving them the save doesn't help.

Coming into the game Bautista at 12.2 IP was in the mix with a bunch of the elite back end guys with around 12-14 IP. 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bautista's usage is likely going to come down a bit, but he's currently on pace for 78 games pitched with 39 saves, 73.2 innings pitched and 140 strikeouts. 👀

I'm really REALLY glad we didn't give Hyde an excuse to use him last night. At one point it was 10-7 and I was like really, we're going to have a save situation in a game in which we scored 10 runs, give me a break. Thankfully we scored more runs...  

Just now, interloper said:

I'm really REALLY glad we didn't give Hyde an excuse to use him last night. At one point it was 10-7 and I was like really, we're going to have a save situation in a game in which we scored 10 runs, give me a break. Thankfully we scored more runs...  

It would seem Givens is going to be back really soon and I'm hoping it's this weekend or even this Royals series. Bautista can't keep being used at this pace where he's pitching every other game without him getting a tired arm or worse.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

*run

Yeah I was really worried he'd use him.  This gives Bautista 3 days off in a row so hopefully he can get past some of the fatigue it seems he's having. 

• Upvote 1