Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Did Felix throw all fastballs in the 10th.  Super impressive.  The hitters knew what was coming and he struck out the side.  Probably the best and most satisfying win of the year so far.

Absolutely. I just hope his arm doesn't fall off after all the pitches he's thrown in the past (less than) 24 hours.

57 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Absolutely. I just hope his arm doesn't fall off after all the pitches he's thrown in the past (less than) 24 hours.

I think the fastball is probably the least stressful pitch.  I wonder if he was told to do that.  Sure seems that way.  He was 98-100 in that last inning.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think the fastball is probably the least stressful pitch.  I wonder if he was told to do that.  Sure seems that way.  He was 98-100 in that last inning.

Max effort anything is the most stressful pitch.  When he’s pushing 100%+  that’s when he’s stressing his arm the most, doesn’t really matter the pitch type. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Did Felix throw all fastballs in the 10th.  Super impressive.  The hitters knew what was coming and he struck out the side.  Probably the best and most satisfying win of the year so far.

I am hoping this comment doesn't trigger a rehash of the SG vs FRobby "process" debate re Lopez - Povich, Cano +2 thread but here goes. Lopez in that situation tonight doesn't do what Bautista did, period. I liked Lopez but felt he was out-pitching his peripherals and was due for regression. In a playoff situation, like vs TB, ATL, TOR has been recently, there is no substitute for overpowering STUFF. COULD Lopez have done it, possibly, but he was always skating too close to the edge, needed great placement.

38 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Max effort anything is the most stressful pitch.  When he’s pushing 100%+  that’s when he’s stressing his arm the most, doesn’t really matter the pitch type. 

Disagree, throwing a splitter puts more stress on the elbow.  

• Upvote 2

Olson kind of called out in the 10th that Felix was often watching the ghost runner until the pitch clock got down to about :03 and then just firing home.     The Hyde pep talk before the last batter I think went about like this, except he actually went out to the mound as Fired Up Guy.    Postgame presser Hyde said he told Felix before 2nd inning began he wanted him for the two RH bats, and would check with him before Varsho.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 2

It dawned on me that a strikeout/walk pitcher is advantageous in extras as long as the pitcher doesn't throw too many walks.  You can't move the runner in 2nd over on a single walk, and you (usually) can't move a runner over on a strikeout. 

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Disagree, throwing a splitter puts more stress on the elbow.  

Been going down a rabbit hole tying to find info on splitters.  I was actually talking about more traditional pitches FB, Cruve, Slider, Change.  

My gut would say the splitter would be more stressful just from the sensation you get when you separate your fingers, but I'm not sure.  I'm going to continue trying to find info on splitter usage, it seems to be all over the place.

Here is some info on pitch type and stress on ucl.  There are a lot of moving parts with age, mechanics, fatigue, etc. but the underlying correlations come with max effort and increase in velocity of all pitches year-over-year at the major league level specifically.  

Major League Baseball pitch velocity and pitch type associated with risk of ulnar collateral ligament injury - PubMed (nih.gov)

Fastballs vs. Offspeed Pitches - Comparative and Relative Elbow Stress - Driveline Baseball

Pitch Characteristics Before Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction in Major League Pitchers Compared With Age-Matched Controls - PMC (nih.gov)

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Three strikeouts and 1 HR, against a guy who hit 62 last year, and of course people are in here complaining about Felix. 

Bautista isn’t really the type of pitcher with enough command to nibble… so I would have thrown him outside the strike zone to see if he gets himself out. 

Having said that, once you’re up 0-2 and Judge has been behind on both of your 100mph fastballs, if you’re going to throw a splitter you’d damn straight make sure it’s a 58 footer. It was at best a physical error, but to me it’s a mental and physical error because why a splitter after the first two? 

I think Felix will be okay. My bigger concern for him is the propensity to walk guys. It’s ironic that while that is our biggest bitch about him, it’s exactly what we wanted him to do in that situation. 😅