Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

30 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Felix looks great right now. 

The extra inning runner rule isn’t included in the postseason right? Having the best strikeout reliever in baseball is definitely an asset for those situations. 

There is no auto-runner in the postseason, you are correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Third time he has come in a tie game in the 9th and then pitched the 10th for the W. What a weapon to have for close games. In two of the three games they went for one with Frazier bunting (TOR and TB); vs MIN, Ramon was swinging away with Frazier available. Ramon hit a double, eventually scoring two. I wonder why they didn't elect to bring in Frazier to bunt in the MIN game when it was basically the exact same situation, including having Ramon up. 

Will be interesting to see how he is deployed in the playoffs without the ghost runner rule. Using your high K closer in the 9th makes sense when you have high confidence that you can score one. Has Buck been using his closer on the road under the ghost runner rule? 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I was listening to the Rays broadcast and they were both befuddled we played small ball in the 10th, I knew they would bring Felix back out and when they did, both guys said, oh that makes sense now.

Lol..everyone knows. It’s a shame he pooped the bed at the AS game because the national audience didn’t get to see how incredibly gifted he is.

Pitching Ninja did a brief breakdown of Felix's outing yesterday. The overlays between his fastball and splitter are out of this world and show why you see guys swinging at balls way outside against Felix. Also a little clip of how Felix grips the ball.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He now has his ERA down to 0.90. I think it's time we can start making some Cy Young chatter for Felix.

It’s just not going to happen. Relievers don’t get the consideration.

The Orioles very likely faced the future AL Cy Young leader on Friday night.

This run is nuts.     103 games along, fWAR gives him 2.6, almost 50% ahead of the 2nd place reliever.

2.6 x 162 / 103 = 4.1 WAR.     Recent seasons fWAR Reliever leaders have been:

'22 E. Diaz, 3.0; '21 Hendriks, 2.7; '19 Hendriks, 3.8; '18 Treinen 3.6; '17 Kenley 3.4; '16 Kenley 3.1, '15 C. Allen 2.6

A 4-win season on a Club with a story like the '23 Orioles I could imagine getting some traction if the ERA leader ends up more at 3.10 than 2.75.

Relievers burn bright and die fast by their nature - it will be a huge swing for Adley (and Felix's) last 4.4 seasons whether or not he can long endure.

The Mariano Yankees got through all those tournaments with basically today's structure (as Friedman's Dodgers have failed to do) I believe substantially because of him.

Wandisson Charles was 99 and covered 2 innings in 17 pitches (no walks!) last night.