Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

The way that Aaron Judge hits against the Orioles, I don't care if it's Mariano Rivera out there throwing to him, I take my chances against Rizzo over Judge. To be clear, again, I'm not suggesting an IBB of Judge but you had him 0-2 and he hadn't sniffed your cheese. Come out of your shoes trying to hit 105 and if you throw it off of the press box, so what. Don't give him ANYTHING that he can get wood on in the rest of that AB. If he doesn't chase and earns a walk, tip your cap.

I didn't like the pitch call and obviously the execution was awful but Aaron Judge absolutely obliterates the Orioles. Why give him an opportunity to beat you? 

I just don't understand why anyone is arguing against not pitching to Judge in that situation. If ANYONE says that they were confident that Felix would get Judge in that AB, they are lying. When the 8th ended, I knew that Judge was going to get the better of Felix because that's how the story goes with Judge and the O's, especially at their place and it will go the same way the next time. That's just how it is and until that routine is broken, the O's are going to remain behind the Yankees and the other elite teams in the division. 

35 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He didn’t win the game. He tied it.  You can pitch around him but makes little sense to put the tying run on base and likely in scoring position given how easy it is to run on Bautista

I would have taken the risk there given the matchup 

14 minutes ago, banks703 said:

The way that Aaron Judge hits against the Orioles, I don't care if it's Mariano Rivera out there throwing to him, I take my chances against Rizzo over Judge. To be clear, again, I'm not suggesting an IBB of Judge but you had him 0-2 and he hadn't sniffed your cheese. Come out of your shoes trying to hit 105 and if you throw it off of the press box, so what. Don't give him ANYTHING that he can get wood on in the rest of that AB. If he doesn't chase and earns a walk, tip your cap.

I didn't like the pitch call and obviously the execution was awful but Aaron Judge absolutely obliterates the Orioles. Why give him an opportunity to beat you? 

I just don't understand why anyone is arguing against not pitching to Judge in that situation. If ANYONE says that they were confident that Felix would get Judge in that AB, they are lying. When the 8th ended, I knew that Judge was going to get the better of Felix because that's how the story goes with Judge and the O's, especially at their place and it will go the same way the next time. That's just how it is and until that routine is broken, the O's are going to remain behind the Yankees and the other elite teams in the division. 

Everyone has already agreed with you that they should not walk him, but pitch him carefully. You are distorting everyone else's argument in order to make a point that the board has already stipulated. The only difference is that you seem to think Bautista was intending to challenge Judge, whereas everyone else thinks he was trying to pitch him carefully but failed to execute the pitch. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Everyone has already agreed with you that they should not walk him, but pitch him carefully. You are distorting everyone else's argument in order to make a point that the board has already stipulated. The only difference is that you seem to think Bautista was intending to challenge Judge, whereas everyone else thinks he was trying to pitch him carefully but failed to execute the pitch. 

Exactly.  Splitter shoulda been in the dirt. 

48 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I think you're arguing points that people aren't making.  EVERYONE, including Felix, Adley, and the ghost of Earl Weaver, knew they shouldn't give Judge a pitch to hit there.  That was the intent of the pitch as it was leaving his hand.  He executed it very terribly and Judge did what he does.

BTW, prior to last night, Judge was 0-1 against Bautista with 3 BBs.  So by and large Felix has done what you've wanted him to do.  He just made an awful pitch.  That's the story.

As for feeling confident - I'm nervous every time it's a one run game, I don't care if I had Mariano Rivera against the 2023 Oakland A's.  Certainly a little more nervous with Judge coming up, but yeah, I felt good about our chances there.

Edited by glenn__davis
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TopGunnar said:

Somebody hit right on the head last night. Bautista just isn’t a guy you hand the ball over to when you’re only up 1. He’s too volatile. He’s now blown 4 saves and it’s only May. 

i think Hyde gives some consideration to swapping Cano and Bautista.

1st blown save was dropped ball by McKenna game, 2nd blown save was actual blown save with giving up one to Detroit.  3rd was extra inning game where runner starts at 2nd and they had one run lead.    The 4th one was last night.  So really just one blown save imo before last night.  

It was just a bad pitch call. It was clear he didn't have the split yet, but the fastball was effective. Use your most effective pitch against the best hitter in the world, not the pitch you don't know if you can throw right now. Adley needs to see that, or Felix needs to shake off. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

As for feeling confident - I'm nervous every time it's a one run game, I don't care if I had Mariano Rivera against the 2023 Oakland A's.  Certainly a little more nervous with Judge coming up, but yeah, I felt good about our chances there.

Several years ago, I calculated that MLB-wide, the average closer’s save rate on 1-run saves was 75%.  I’d guess it’s a little lower now due to extra-inning 1-run save situations starting with a runner on 2B.   Anyway, my point is that 1-run saves are far from automatic.  

Edited by Frobby

35 minutes ago, interloper said:

It was just a bad pitch call. It was clear he didn't have the split yet, but the fastball was effective. Use your most effective pitch against the best hitter in the world, not the pitch you don't know if you can throw right now. Adley needs to see that, or Felix needs to shake off. 

I do kind of like the idea of throwing a FB there since you see a lot of 0-2 homers when the hitter is sitting on a secondary pitch, knowing that a pitcher is trying to waste one but it actually catches the zone. Still, I think there are pros and cons of pretty much any pitch in any count, so it's way more important to execute the pitch you are trying to throw. Either FB or splitter out of the zone is a good option. The one thing you don't want to do, which Bautista did, is put a splitter in the zone, and that is completely his fault.