Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

He looked gas'd before coming into the 9th when the camera showed him in the dugout. His facial expression was not favorable. Then he struggled... pitching coach comes out, does he speak Spanish?, then he guts out a win with a bravo to Hayes! 

I work with some Braves fans who made a huge deal out of Spencer Strider setting a 130 year old record by becoming the fastest guy to reach 100 strikeouts in a season earlier this year - in just 61 innings. But the Mountain just obliterated that record tonight - recording his 100th strikeout in just 50.1 innings!

https://www.si.com/mlb/braves/news/spencer-strider-is-the-fastest-pitcher-to-100-strikeouts-in-a-season-since-1893

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fan4Life said:

He looked gas'd before coming into the 9th when the camera showed him in the dugout. His facial expression was not favorable. Then he struggled... pitching coach comes out, does he speak Spanish?, then he guts out a win with a bravo to Hayes! 

I'm not sure if Holt speaks Spanish, but Jorge Mateos mouth was moving a lot, I'm sure the message got through if he doesn't.

• Upvote 1

Felix continues to amaze.  I’m not down on Cano.  He just struck out 3 vs the Yanks the night before.  I question the usage of the slider and they were pitching scared to Vlad Jr.   He’s still pumping 96-97 mph.   I don’t think he’s fatigued as much as the movement is not as consistent and he’s not attacking the zone with as much impunity as before.    I question the pitch selection with Felix as well.   I prefer all fastballs unless he’s already ahead in the count.   

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hutchead said:

I work with some Braves fans who made a huge deal out of Spencer Strider setting a 130 year old record by becoming the fastest guy to reach 100 strikeouts in a season earlier this year - in just 61 innings. But the Mountain just obliterated that record tonight - recording his 100th strikeout in just 50.1 innings!

https://www.si.com/mlb/braves/news/spencer-strider-is-the-fastest-pitcher-to-100-strikeouts-in-a-season-since-1893

I think maybe there's some confusion over what record they're referring to. I think it has to be fastest by calendar. Because, for example, Aroldis Chapman had 106 strikeouts in 54 innings in 2014. He clearly got to 100 Ks in fewer innings than Strider. Eric Gagne in 2003 had his 100th K in his 60th inning.

Also, with a lot of strikeout records, this is highly dependent on league context and schedule. For example, for much of baseball history the season didn't start until mid-April.  Sandy Koufax had 92 Ks by May 28th, 1965, but that was in just 10 starts because the season didn't start until April 14th.  And for much of the 1893-1960 era strikeouts were less than half of today's rate, so it was essentially impossible to get to 100 Ks before at least midseason and well over 100 innings. Rube Waddell had the pre-Koufax/post-1900 record for Ks in 1904 at 349, but because the season started later and he averaged 8 K/9 he didn't get to 100 until June even pitching mostly complete games.

In the 1920s and 30s Lefty Grove led the league in Ks seven straight years and never had more than 209.

And they made the cutoff 1893 because prior to that there was a period where strikeouts were higher after legalization of overhand pitching and before the 60'6" distance, and pitchers pitched a lot more. Retrosheet doesn't have game-by-game stats prior to 1900 yet, but if you look at the 1886 Orioles' schedule you can see they played 29 games by May 28th and Matt Kilroy started just about 50% of their games and he struck out 513 batters. So it's at least somewhat likely that he struck out 100 batters in his first 14-15 starts, perhaps quicker than Strider. Louisville's Toad Ramsey struck out 499 that same season, so he could have been faster to 100, also. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...