Bautista 2023

Sports Guy

15 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

O's posted a nice video about Bautista's background and breakthrough.

Good interviews. Seems like a very likable guy and good teammate and son.

"To go attack the hitters and get out of there as quickly as possible without letting them get on base--That’s my mentality when I enter the game."

• Upvote 1

He did a good job of pitching to Conforto without giving him a pitch to hit, unlike the Judge walkoff. In this case the tying run was on second with an open base, whereas Judge was the tying run at the plate, but the situations were similar and Bautista/Adley handled it much better. 

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He did a good job of pitching to Conforto without giving him a pitch to hit, unlike the Judge walkoff. In this case the tying run was on second with an open base, whereas Judge was the tying run at the plate, but the situations were similar and Bautista/Adley handled it much better. 

I think they said that Bautista throws the 7th lowest percentage of pitches in the strike zone of any pitcher in MLB.  But they’re close enough that batters can’t lay off.

Edited by Frobby

I’m super encouraged by them avoiding the split today for whatever the reason. If it was clear that he didn’t have command of it in the pen as Cakes speculated, then so be it. I’d much rather take his predictable 101 than a hang-to-bang split, no matter how good it can be sometimes. Really excited by his ninth today. 

Due my life schedule I (regretfully) do not get as much time as I wish for the Orioles . But before I went to take care of some things this afternoon I checked in on the O's score in the 6th inning and saw they where losing 3-0 . I checked on the Final Score around 9PM and was actually SURPRISED to see that they won the Game ! Now my family and friends have ....for decades ...Nicknamed me " Mr. Pessimist"( and rightfully so). That being said I AM Starting to believe that this team IS CAPABLE of winning 90+ games this season ..... So LETS GO O's !!!!!!!!!!

If you chunk 2022-2023 together, Fangraphs sees him as baseball's 4th most valuable reliever, behind Emmanuel Clase and two guys who are now offline.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

I wouldn't be surprised if Elias went year to year, but it isn't hard to imagine the people working on extensions everyday are thinking about getting the Club and Player some certainty here.    The Clase contract is out there in the open for this kind of performer (bonus - no PED suspensions here).     Clase had thrown about 90 MLB innings before guaranteeing his first $20M last spring.      Felix is 28 next week, and probably about this paycheck is making it to $1mm in career earnings, 1.6 seasons away from Arb1.

Emmanuel Clase rhp
5 years/$20M (2022-26), plus 2027-28 options

• 5 years/$20M (2022-26), plus 2027-28 club options
    • signed extension with Cleveland 4/8/22, replacing one-year deal signed 3/22
    • $2M signing bonus
    • 22:$1.5M, 23:$1.5M, 24:$2.5M, 25:$4.5M, 26:$6M, 27:$10M club option ($2M buyout), 28:$10M club option ($2M buyout)

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

If you chunk 2022-2023 together, Fangraphs sees him as baseball's 4th most valuable reliever, behind Emmanuel Clase and two guys who are now offline.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2023&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

I wouldn't be surprised if Elias went year to year, but it isn't hard to imagine the people working on extensions everyday are thinking about getting the Club and Player some certainty here.    The Clase contract is out there in the open for this kind of performer (bonus - no PED suspensions here).     Clase had thrown about 90 MLB innings before guaranteeing his first $20M last spring.      Felix is 28 next week, and probably about this paycheck is making it to $1mm in career earnings, 1.6 seasons away from Arb1.

Emmanuel Clase rhp
5 years/$20M (2022-26), plus 2027-28 options

• 5 years/$20M (2022-26), plus 2027-28 club options
    • signed extension with Cleveland 4/8/22, replacing one-year deal signed 3/22
    • $2M signing bonus
    • 22:$1.5M, 23:$1.5M, 24:$2.5M, 25:$4.5M, 26:$6M, 27:$10M club option ($2M buyout), 28:$10M club option ($2M buyout)

I really hope the Orioles model themselves after the Atlanta Braves when it comes to their young stars.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I really hope the Orioles model themselves after the Atlanta Braves when it comes to their young stars.

Well they better act soon if they want lock up any of their young star players. Also, I can only imagine what Scott Boras' starting number would be to even engage in contract extension talks regarding Gunnar.

• 3 weeks later...