Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I thought the suggestion was that since the O's have a poor track record at development, his success must be due to his stuff. But it wasn't entirely clear. 

I thought the apparent suggestion that the Orioles locked him into one arm angle in order for him to get some consistency was a kudos to their development.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Is that supposed to be a dig at the organization? I'd say their track record at least the last couple years has been pretty good. Last year they turned around Perez, Jorge Lopez, Akin, Voth, Kremer, and Bradish. Baumann is another this year. Tate and Wells have progressed steadily. That being said, Cano's minor league stats suggest he already had some level of stuff prior to coming here.  

You may have missed the "To be fair" part of my post....where I was trying to be fair.   But yes, admittedly, that was a snarky dig, based on history.  However, I do understand we don't have the same cast of characters as in the past developing these guys.

And, I hear you, but did they fix Voth and Perez, or did they get lucky with them?  I'm not sure I know the answer to that.   Or, did they fix them last year and break them this year?  So, while I am very pleased with the progress of a lot of guys, I need to see a longer term story that will involve consistency throughout 2023.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

You may have missed the "To be fair" part of my post....where I was trying to be fair.   But yes, admittedly, that was a snarky dig, based on history.  However, I do understand we don't have the same cast of characters as in the past developing these guys.

And, I hear you, but did they fix Voth and Perez, or did they get lucky with them?  I'm not sure I know the answer to that.   Or, did they fix them last year and break them this year?  So, while I am very pleased with the progress of a lot of guys, I need to see a longer term story that will involve consistency throughout 2023.  

Agreed, going back further than last year the track record doesn't look so good. Also agree that it remains to be seen what we actually have in Voth and Perez. Still, seemed like the success almost across the board last year was more than luck so I was confused by the first sentence. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed, going back further than last year the track record doesn't look so good. Also agree that it remains to be seen what we actually have in Voth and Perez. Still, seemed like the success almost across the board last year was more than luck so I was confused by the first sentence. 

No, you were spot on.  I'm still living in the past, not sure what to trust.  And I so badly want to trust in the future...but I can say for sure that I am honestly excited about the direction the overall system has taken, top to bottom.

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, Ridgway22 said:

THIS. If he loses his release point, I think he'll be walk-city. He appears, in the SSS I've seen him, to have a very wide range of possible outcomes. We can dream he's harnessing that wickedness..... it's been fun to watch.

He reportedly tweaked some things in his delivery that has allowed him to get more consistent release points and more movement. It's quite the story so far. I liked him a bit stuff wise when I watched some video him after the trade, but his command was all over in the majors and I was worried he was a major league yips guy. I think we can put that worry to bed now that he's staring guys down after some filthy strikeouts. :D

16 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yennier 6 innings along hits me as one of the biggest wildcards for whatever this year might be - are we on the Cesar Valdez or Felix Bautista half of the football field?

Goodness gracious if Orioles PD is in the Bautista half again.

The thing with Valdez was he was a one trick pony that was doing it with smoke and mirrors. Cano has three pitches with plus movement and sinker that averages 95.3 MPH with 9.6 more inches of drop that the average sinker at that speed. This isn't smoke and mirrors. This is legitimate stuff and as long as he's commanding it, he's going to be very tough to hit.  

He's like finding a legitimate impact high leverage reliever out of thin air. You have to give props to the orioles for getting him in the Lopez deal and Holt for being able to make those tweaks to make him find that consistent command and additional movement. 

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

What a revelation he’s been.  Coulombe too.  Two guys we fans weren’t counting on at all going into the season.  Bullpens are funny organisms.  

Yeah, if you would have told us at the end of spring training that by April 25th, Coulombe and Cano would be our top two of three high leverage relievers (Baker is still the other), I doubt you would have had many believers. Crazy how both of these guys have really become quite impressive and the stuff (baseball savant) suggests this isn't smoke and mirrors.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He reportedly tweaked some things in his delivery that has allowed him to get more consistent release points and more movement. It's quite the story so far. I liked him a bit stuff wise when I watched some video him after the trade, but his command was all over in the majors and I was worried he was a major league yips guy. I think we can put that worry to bed now that he's staring guys down after some filthy strikeouts. :D

I think you posted a video of an immaculate inning in the minors? Looking like that was a preview.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The movement in his pitches is really something to watch. 

Wonder if he came to the organization with this stuff or if they have added things or improved things?

Take a look at his movement of pitches last year to this year. While the stuff was good last year, everything is better this year. When you add in the better command thanks to the Orioles tweaking his release point to make it more consistent, whala! 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/yennier-cano-666974?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

How does anyone know if Cano was a "throw-in" vs. someone else we scouted and wanted in order to make the trade.  No one in the front office comes out and labels guys "throw ins."  Why do we assume this guy was a throw in, like he was a guy that Minnesota just wanted to be rid of??  Honest question.....

Per Tony at the time of the trade. Povich was the key guy, the rest, label them as you will:

"Ok, just getting caught up on this thanks to being in meetings this morning. My take: Povich is the headliner and although I have not gone and watched him yet (I'll do that tonight) all reports is that he's adding velocity and..."

1 minute ago, Ridgway22 said:

I think you posted a video of an immaculate inning in the minors? Looking like that was a preview.

Yep, good memory. He did have an immaculate inning in AAA with the Twins and that showed his plus stuff and how good he could be when he was commanding. Now, he's actually added more movement at the same velocities. Crazy.  

I've been impressed with Holt since last season when he rebuilt Bradish and Kremer. now he's done it with Cano. I hope Holt gets a nice juicy extension to his contract. It's hard to argue with his results.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

The Oriole's track record with developing pitchers tells me he came here with this stuff. 

Now - to be fair - I did hear, I think in his interview last night,  that he had two arm angles - one for right hand batters and one for lefties - and the Orioles have moved him to one arm angle that has allowed him to get consistency with his pitched and his control.   So, apparently we did tweak him to an extent.

Let's hope this is another diamond in the rough that we found, and that his success continues.

Hmm, Bradish and Kremer say hello as well as Baker and Perez to a lesser extent. Holt has changed the opinion that the Orioles can't develop pitchers. Saying that, Cano did basically come here with good stuff but tweaks to his release point allowed him to find better command and more movement at the same velocities. He's a good development story.

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I was incredibly impressed with his performance after the balk that moved the runner to second with no outs.  He handled that pressure like a pro.   He's been a nice surprise out of the pen this year.