Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Three and counting.  I have to admit it, when I saw Cano instead of Baker in a 1-0 game I yelled “HYDE, what are you doing”?

Surprised you didn't yell "CANOOOOOOOO!" 

Love what we're getting out of this kid so far. Hopefully, he keeps it up. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Early results are positive. 

Gotta give Elias credit. 

I didn't realize he got 4 pitchers for Lopez.   Not sure how it will pan out, but I have confidence that they will get the best of them.    Never thought I'd put those words into a post here!   🙂

7 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

Watching Cano, I get a really weird César Valdez vibe, except the ball travels at mucho elevated velocity. Kind of gives me Stan "full pack" vibes, but dammmmmm, he's been nails. Please, baseball gods, we've been good, we've been patient, we pay our taxes, and respect women. We deserve nice things.

Curious, what about Cano gives you Valdez vibes?

This is the guy that I saw on video a few times when he we in the Twins system. I'm not sure Cano was 100% when he came over last year in the trade. 

Obviously he's been real good so far and the more success he has the more confident I feel when he's out there.

Last night was really interesting because it was a 1-0 game and Baker should have been available and rested. The fact that Hyde went to Cano and that he went right through his three batters speaks volumes about what the Orioles think of the stuff right now.

He throwing mostly sinkers and sliders but also throws the occasional changeup. All three have plus movement. The sinker has 45% more movement than sinkers thrown around his 95.4 MPH average. That's going to be a real worm killer pitch if he can continue to throw it for strikes and keep it out of the middle of the plate.

Screenshot2023-04-19091232.thumb.png.892e2f4c1f4d4c0df1efe60c12ade711.png

He's added over six inches of sink to his sinker this season and is throwing about .5 MPH faster. In fact, if you look at his stuff, all of his pitches have more movement. 

He's also been able to keep the slider down and away from righties.

Overall, the stuff screams that this is not just luck of a one trick pony that the league will catch up to. I think he's for real as long as his command doesn't relapse.

• Upvote 3

I guess when you have a sinker as good as Cano's that elevates you into the 8th inning setup role. Not that I can disagree with it. It looks unhittable.

Last year his changeup was his best pitch according to savant, While hitters batted .400 off his sinker. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I guess when you have a sinker as good as Cano's that elevates you into the 8th inning setup role. Not that I can disagree with it. It looks unhittable.

Last year his changeup was his best pitch according to savant, While hitters batted .400 off his sinker. 

I do believe it's hard to throw a sinker...it's hard to have it going all the time.  So if he hit a rough stretch last year where his sinker wasn't working, that could explain it.

Early returns here are looking good, though.

I think with Cano it’s going to be all about command.  The stuff is good, as @Tony-OHdescribed.   He kind of slings the ball in a way that makes me think he’ll have days where he can’t find the plate.  He had a 4.4 BB/9 rate in the minors.   That’s not awful for a reliever, but it suggests he’ll have his off days.