Yennier Canó 2023

OsFanSinceThe80s

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

But Cano doesn't have a 99 MPH sinker!  Ain't that right, @sportsfan8703?

Yeah, I think we're all seeing how valuable a 99 mph sinker is.  Cano didn't have this pitch this year, but he does right now, so lets ride it out.  

I can laugh at myself, but doesn't Cano throwing a 99 mph sinker sort of validate my argument about how valuable that pitch is?  Let's say Cano puts together a dominant season as a set up guy.  Do you trade him for a Cade Povich equivalent and sell high just because he's a reliever?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, I think we're all seeing how valuable a 99 mph sinker is.  Cano didn't have this pitch this year, but he does right now, so lets ride it out.  

I can laugh at myself, but doesn't Cano throwing a 99 mph sinker sort of validate my argument about how valuable that pitch is?  Let's say Cano puts together a dominant season as a set up guy.  Do you trade him for a Cade Povich equivalent and sell high just because he's a reliever?  

Cano's sinker was 95-96.  I think his fastball gets up to 97.  But i have personally yet to see him hit 99 with any pitch.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What was the Lopez return, exactly?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I do think Cano is a lot like a Jorge Lopez. He's already 29. Yeah I would trade him for a potential t100 prospect and next year's Lopez.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No, because I believe the O's are planning on making a playoff push this year and that was NOT the plan last year. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What was the Lopez return, exactly?

Have you looked at what Jorge Lopez is doing this year.  He's thrown 83 pitches with a 0.0% barrel rate.  Is that good?  haha.

His WHIP is 0.391.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jorge-lopez/14527/stats?position=P

So yes, I can show some humility and admit that if Cano can be a useful bullpen piece(he didn't look like this last year), that the Lopez trade doesn't look bad.  However, Lopez is a stud.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It depends on what his dominance leads to. If he is able dominate in the post season, then no you don't trade him!

I'm ok with trading him in a vacuum, as long as we have somebody to slot into that spot. But what I am more interested in at this point, is NOT trades that help our prospect rankings/stock pile. But trades that will make the Baltimore Orioles championship contenders.

I understand that many of us have grown condition to a certain perspective because of how long that we have been in rebuild mode. But now that time has passed. And IMO it's time for the mindset of the org to shift into what pieces can be ACQUIRED in order to push us past our competitors in the Fall.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Have you looked at what Jorge Lopez is doing this year.  He's thrown 83 pitches with a 0.0% barrel rate.  Is that good?  haha.

His WHIP is 0.391.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/jorge-lopez/14527/stats?position=P

So yes, I can show some humility and admit that if Cano can be a useful bullpen piece(he didn't look like this last year), that the Lopez trade doesn't look bad.  However, Lopez is a stud.  

I asked what the Lopez return was.  Partially because I was on my phone at the time and too lazy to look it up.  But now that I'm back at my computer and pretending to do my work, I'll look it up.

We got FOUR pitchers back for a bullpen arm that many thought at the time (more on this in a moment) was on a big heater and unsustainable.

We got back Povich who is one of our top starting prospects, Cano who's looking to be a good bullpen piece and a suitable Lopez replacement, Juan Rojas who's 19 and has a 2.79 ERA in Delmarva and Juan Nunez who's 22 and in Delmarva and doesn't look to be much.

Yes, I would make that trade every day for that return. 

To your point about Lopez, he's a good pitcher but I know you're too smart to think that his start is an accurate representation of who he is.  If he were to keep that up, he'd have the best relief pitcher season ever and I don't think he's that guy.  But I'm happy for him that he's been able to continue his success in Minnesota.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If he maintains control of his sinker no I wouldnt trade him unless it was an excellent return. The O's dont have any other great options in the bullpen right now which is why Cano is in the 8th inning setup role.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

If he maintains control of his sinker no I wouldnt trade him unless it was an excellent return. The O's dont have any other great options in the bullpen right now which is why Cano is in the 8th inning setup role.

I don't know. If I could trade player X for a cheaper guy who ends up being just as good as player X plus three other prospects, I think I'd do that trade repeatedly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think with Cano it’s going to be all about command.  The stuff is good, as @Tony-OHdescribed.   He kind of slings the ball in a way that makes me think he’ll have days where he can’t find the plate.  He had a 4.4 BB/9 rate in the minors.   That’s not awful for a reliever, but it suggests he’ll have his off days.

THIS. If he loses his release point, I think he'll be walk-city. He appears, in the SSS I've seen him, to have a very wide range of possible outcomes. We can dream he's harnessing that wickedness..... it's been fun to watch.

• Upvote 1