Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Odd. I have to believe that MacPhail is only about half done making over this roster. Salazar was certainly a useful piece, but only if they didn't find a real 1B/DH, or they were going to carry a reasonably small number of pitchers.

That's the only way I'd support this move is if we are trading for a young 3B man or 1B man. We'll see but right now it looks really bad for a team that has no positional depth, especially at the corners to be giving it away...

He won't...

Just another stupid roster move by the Orioles who are too obsessed with pitchers.

Why the heck didn't we DFA Simon or Burres for crying out loud?

So who is going to defend MacPhail for this brilliant move?

Clearly the O's see the Brazell acquisition as making Salazar redundant. We're jammed up with AAA power hitters (Moore, Constanza, Brazell) at the corner infield positions and for whatever reason AM feels Salazar has the least value to the club.

It's dissapointing not to get to see more of Salazar at the big league level, especially given his winter ball performance, but I think calling it "stupid" is over the top.

I'm not going to throw a fit over it, but I would have sent Burres packing before Salazar.

I agree with that.

Man, I'd love to be the O's GM. I'd totally make non-significant moves to the 40 man along these lines, shoot out a press release and then log on to orioleshangout.com and watch the puppets dance.

That'd be a great way to spend a dull Tuesday afternoon. :)

That's the only way I'd support this move is if we are trading for a young 3B man or 1B man. We'll see but right now it looks really bad for a team that has no positional depth, especially at the corners to be giving it away...

At the age of 30, he wasn't exactly a long term solution, in my humble estimation. I would have liked to have seen him get one more long look in spring training. That said, I'm wondering if the Wigginton talks are still ongoing. While not a long term solution either, Wig would me more production right now.

-Don

Clearly the O's see the Brazell acquisition as making Salazar redundant. We're jammed up with AAA power hitters (Moore, Constanza, Brazell) at the corner infield positions and for whatever reason AM feels Salazar has the least value to the club.

It's dissapointing not to get to see more of Salazar at the big league level, especially given his winter ball performance, but I think calling it "stupid" is over the top.

Why would anyone think that? Salazar is a plausible, although definitely below-average MLB 1B. Brazell would be lucky to hit like the late career Tony Bautista - his strikeout and walk numbers look straight out of Cory Snyder's career, and that's in the minors.

Odd is right. Can't say I'm pleased about this. I just hope he clears waivers - maybe McPhail has a hunch about this. I hope anyway. Where is Brazell (sp?) supposed to be playing? 1B at Norfolk or Bowie? Would they let Salazar go because of a log jam at Norfolk? Are they possibly considering moving Reimold to 1B for the Tides?

Honestly, I have no clue what to think here. But I definatley am in the give AM the benefit of the doubt camp.

I can't keep the details straight...

Sometimes you can pull a guy back from waivers if he gets claimed, and sometimes you can't.

Which is which?

The key is, he was removed from the 40-man roster to make room for Zaun... thus he will have to clear waivers to be kept by the Orioles.

from Cot's

A player designated for assignment is removed from his club’s 40-man roster and, within the next 10 days, traded, released or, if he clears waivers, assigned to the minor leagues. A club may not designate a player for assignment if the corresponding transaction is to recall a player on optional assignment.

* A player designated for assignment may be traded. A club interested in acquiring a player who has been designated for assignment may try to work out a trade before the player is placed on waivers, eliminating the possibility he might be claimed by a club with a higher waiver claim priority.

* A player designated for assignment who clears waivers and is not traded may be released. The player then becomes a free agent.

* A club wishing to send a player designated for assignment to the minor leagues must first place him on irrevocable outright waivers, making him available to the other 29 clubs in reverse order of won-lost record.

o If the player is claimed, he is lost to the claiming team for $20,000. (Irrevocable waivers may not be reversed.) The claiming team pays the player the major-league minimum salary for the rest of the season, and the original club is responsible for the balance of his contract.

o If the player is not claimed (clears waivers), the club may option him or assign him outright to the minor leagues, though he must continue to be paid according to the terms of his contract. A player may be assigned outright to the minors only once in his career without his permission. Thereafter, he may either 1) reject the assignment and become a free agent, or 2) accept the assignment and become a free agent at the end of the season if he’s not back on the 40-man roster. Additionally, player with 3 years of major league service may refuse an outright assignment and choose to become a free agent, regardless of whether he has been sent outright to the minors previously. A player with 5 years of major league service time who refuses an outright assignment is entitled to the money due according to the terms of his contract.

I'm not saying Salazar is not expendable, it just seems like we could have found a better option out of this ginormous list of pitchers:

Matt Albers

Danys Baez

Brian Bass

Bradley Bergesen

Brian Burres

Jeremy Guthrie

Mark Hendrickson

David Hernandez

Jim Hoey

Jim Johnson

Radhames Liz

Brian Matusz

Bob McCrory

Kam Mickolio

Jim Miller

Troy Patton

David Pauley

Hayden Penn

Wilfrido Perez

Chris Ray

Dennis Sarfate

George Sherrill

Alfredo Simon

Chorye Spoone

Koji Uehara

Jamie Walker

Chris Waters

Wilfrido Perez???? He must have come aboard during the 7 hours I wasn't logged on to the OH last year. :D

It seems like many on this board are too quick to judge a decision made by the (new) front office.

IMO, a season with Andy is like a season of the Wire. Something that happens in episode 3 might not get answered (heck, even mentioned) until 2 or 3 episodes down the line.

Let the man work. The new look Orioles might be the next great thing to fill the void of the Wire ending.

I know Lester can get down with that logic. :)

Archived