Oscar Salazar removed from 40 man roster

jeffstonefan

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not saying Salazar is not expendable, it just seems like we could have found a better option out of this ginormous list of pitchers:

Matt Albers

Danys Baez

Brian Bass

Bradley Bergesen

Brian Burres

Jeremy Guthrie

Mark Hendrickson

David Hernandez

Jim Hoey

Jim Johnson

Radhames Liz

Brian Matusz

Bob McCrory

Kam Mickolio

Jim Miller

Troy Patton

David Pauley

Hayden Penn

Wilfrido Perez

Chris Ray

Dennis Sarfate

George Sherrill

Alfredo Simon

Chorye Spoone

Koji Uehara

Jamie Walker

Chris Waters

Wilfrido Perez???? He must have come aboard during the 7 hours I wasn't logged on to the OH last year. :D

I think that was to protect him from the Rule V, could be wrong.

By the way, nice sig.

Seriously. Some of you are ridiculous.

No some of us see how little positional talent we have and want to keep it. Salazar at worst was a platoon 1B/DH and a darn good bench player to have.

He was also a RH bat, something we have few of.

Dumping Salazar for Wigginton is even worse because Wigginton is more expensive and older and under team control for a shorter period of time.

He won't...

Just another stupid roster move by the Orioles who are too obsessed with pitchers.

Why the heck didn't we DFA Simon or Burres for crying out loud?

So who is going to defend MacPhail for this brilliant move?

I will.

First, I'll note that I've been loving the idea of Scott at DH, Huff at 1B, and Salazar as the 13th position player, and no acquisition of any other 1B. But I'll concede that the reason I've been loving this is not because I think that's a championship-caliber alignment, but rather because it's absolutely completely satisfactory during a year when I know there's no way we're trying to compete.

Everything that Andy's been doing lately, including his continued search for a defensive upgrade to Huff at 1B and his backhanded compliment of Huff as ideally suited to the DH role, tell me that I was wrong. They really are serious about competing THIS year. And if you want to do that, then a defensive upgrade at 1B makes a whole lot more sense. So I hated the Salazar news for about 5 seconds -- and then I gave in to the euphoria. Yes we can!

Sound the trumpets!! ;)

I hope so, I have always been in favor of signing Wigginton. I dont really think this signals anything though, Salazar had a very slim chance of making the roster, so him being gone means really nothing when it comes to signing Wigginton imo.

Is Montanez still on the 40-man roster? Does this mean he has a better shot of making the team? He IS on the right side of 30...

Or is this something to FINALLY make room for Reimold?

Montanez and Reimold both have options so neither will make the squad.

The bench will be Gomez, Freel and a backup C.

The Orioles have a bunch of pitchers on the 40 man that don't have options and they aren't going to DFA them all, so you can bet we are going with 13 pitchers...

Board meltdown over career minor leaguer in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Exactly. Surprising, yes, but it's not a big deal. If he isn't going to be a serviceable part of the future, then let him go. Maybe this means Reimold will be the RH bat off the bench/4th OF.

Exactly. Surprising, yes, but it's not a big deal. If he isn't going to be a serviceable part of the future, then let him go. Maybe this means Reimold will be the RH bat off the bench/4th OF.

The Orioles aren't going to have a 4 man bench. Reimold isn't winning a spot on the roster with Scott and Pie now there.

Salazar was going to be lost on waivers anyway when the club was going to make the asinine move of 13 pitchers so I guess this just gets it out of the way. I expected it, but I still can't believe they were dumb enough to do it...

Archived