Is it just a bad game or does Mountcastle actually suck as a firstbase?

Gurgi

12 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

How did  you get 100k post?  Just trolling threads?  Who made you the post police?  Why cant you just let a post you dont 100% agree with just go past?  But no....it has to be all about process and weither is the wrong forum area.   God man give it a rest.   

One thing you learn how to do with 100K posts is how to quote properly.  😉

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Poor throws.

Sure they were poor throws, that’s where a good defensive 1b comes in.

if all of your throws have to be perfect to record an out, your pitchers, infielders, and team is in for a long season. 

plus it will probably get into your infielders heads, as they try to hard to be perfect. Same way it happens with a catcher who does a poor job of blocking 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Sure the throws are not helping at all.  But Mountcastle does not seem to ever bail the infielder out.  

I am not sure I can remember a first base Oriole that looked more handcuffed on shorthop throws than Mountcastle.   

Mateo and Gunnar have cannons.   Trying to catch an off line 90 mph throw that bounces can be difficult.

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Sure they were poor throws, that’s where a good defensive 1b comes in.

if all of your throws have to be perfect to record an out, your pitchers, infielders, and team is in for a long season. 

plus it will probably get into your infielders heads, as they try to hard to be perfect. Same way it happens with a catcher who does a poor job of blocking 

They were poor throws.

How does that become have to be perfect?

I view it like this.

Terrible-----poor----decent----good----perfect.

There is the whole decent and good range.

I don't want the fielders getting lazy with their form any more than I want my first baseman not making picks.

I’ve always thought he was at least average or better with scoops.   I think he’s average to a little below overall.  My biggest complaint about his defense is how tentative he is throwing to 2B.

BTW, he had some good AB’s with no reward today. 1st and 2nd no outs in the first and he lined a shot to the RF.  Later in the game he flies out to the wall in RF.  

There’s no guarantee that you can ever catch a short up. There’s no sure fire coaching method. Nothing. It’s all luck. That IF was really fast today. Hard dirt. Today Mountcastle went 0-3, he might go 6/10 the next 10. It’s just baseball. 

Gibson should’ve put the ball in his pocket. Mateo maid a really tough play and so did Gunnar. Crap happens. We lost today because we went 1-10 with RISP. 

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They were poor throws.

How does that become have to be perfect?

I view it like this.

Terrible-----poor----decent----good----perfect.

There is the whole decent and good range.

I don't want the fielders getting lazy with their form any more than I want my first baseman not making picks.

It's not either/or, two things can be true at once. They were poor throws AND Mountcastle did a poor job picking them. The Mateo throw would have been a very good pick, but generally short hops aren't an atypical throw for a 1b to catch.

• Upvote 1

Last guy I liked at first was Chris Davis.  I did not like Mancini there or Mountcastle.  I wonder if Chris Davis was this bad and I just dont remember correctly?   

Murray was good at scooping hops.  Segui was good.   Palmerio was good.   Davis I think was good.   Reynolds was good for a half season.   Mountcastle just looks so befuddled.   

I am sure they dont want to use him as a full time DH.  

Just now, seak05 said:

It's not either/or, two things can be true at once. They were poor throws AND Mountcastle did a poor job picking them. The Mateo throw would have been a very good pick, but generally short hops aren't an atypical throw for a 1b to catch.

What I am saying is you said they were poor throws and then you go with they shouldn't have to think they need to be perfect.

They don't need to be perfect they just need to get up to decent.

Are we seeing Mountcastle having balls hit him dead in the middle of the glove and him not come up with it like happened with Davis?

Yes, a good first baseman should be able to salvage a decent percentage of poor throws but I don't think expecting mediocrity from the other fielders is out of line.

I’ve said this many times. His technique on picking balls is inconsistent and when he doesn’t use good fundamentals he sinks at. Some have pushed back blaming the throws. But balls in the dirt are always poor throws. He can be good at it but he is inconsistent and when he is bad he’s very bad. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see how this year plays out. 

Statistically, Mountcastle was a good defensive 1b last year. He has above average range, and posted a good UZR and OAA score. Also last year he had 18 scoops (fangraphs), second in the majors. He has 0 so far this year 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s no guarantee that you can ever catch a short up. There’s no sure fire coaching method. Nothing. It’s all luck. That IF was really fast today. Hard dirt. Today Mountcastle went 0-3, he might go 6/10 the next 10. It’s just baseball. 

Gibson should’ve put the ball in his pocket. Mateo maid a really tough play and so did Gunnar. Crap happens. We lost today because we went 1-10 with RISP. 

This is absolutely false. There are coaching techniques that can be taught that put the fielder in the best position to pick the ball. It’s not all luck. It’s just like any other defensive play. Using the proper fundamentals will provide a better chance of making the play successfully. 

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

100% incorrect.  Catching a short hop is equivalent to catching a ball at your chest.    In between hops are a different story….