Is it just a bad game or does Mountcastle actually suck as a firstbase?

Gurgi

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He’s fine. I think he’s average to decent, but he’s not a terrible first baseman. 

The throws were bad and he should have been able to pick them. It’s not an easy thing to do, though. 

I really think it was just a fast track today. Gibson is a groundball pitcher. Day game. I don’t think they did us any favors. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

CoC doesn’t need anyone to carry his water. Don’t be that guy. 

You wanna pick on him, I can stand up for him even if he doesn't need it. Nothing he said in this thread was wrong and the OP didn't like it so starts down the 'you must be fun at parties' super internet bro insult BS road because he doesn't have a good comeback. I agree with CoC. I bet OP doesn't pay attention when Mountcastle makes good plays. There are many bad throws that don't even get noticed because he makes the play.

2 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

You wanna pick on him, I can stand up for him even if he doesn't need it. Nothing he said in this thread was wrong and the OP didn't like it so starts down the 'you must be fun at parties' super internet bro insult BS road because he doesn't have a good comeback. I agree with CoC. I bet OP doesn't pay attention when Mountcastle makes good plays. There are many bad throws that don't even get noticed because he makes the play.

I like CoC and I was busting your balls and his.  Relax a little. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s no guarantee that you can ever catch a short up. There’s no sure fire coaching method. Nothing. It’s all luck. That IF was really fast today. Hard dirt. Today Mountcastle went 0-3, he might go 6/10 the next 10. It’s just baseball. 

Gibson should’ve put the ball in his pocket. Mateo maid a really tough play and so did Gunnar. Crap happens. We lost today because we went 1-10 with RISP. 

Actually there is a sure fire way to teach it.  Most guys will put the glove down and bring glove up with with the ball. This is incorrect.  As Ted Williams taught us a long time ago in “The Science of hitting” the batter must match the decent angle of the ball and have a slight upper cut to have the highest % chance at making solid contact. The same thing applies to picking a ball.  You need to keep your glove very low and then GO DOWN on the ball to match the angle of the bounced ball.  It’s a misnomer that you are supposed to be soft with the ball and “give” & come up with the ball - just like hitting you need to glove the hop THROUGh the ball mimicking the angle the bounce is likely to produce.  This is where 10k reps come in to lay so you can judge the spin of the batted or thrown ball to best mimic the angle the bounce will produce depending on side, top, or back spin. 

• Thanks 1