10% of the season

wildcard

O's on pace for 90+ wins.    Which is close to what happened after Adley joined the team last year (89 win pace).  One dropped ball away from 100 win pace.  Tampa on pace for 140 wins.

940 run pace.   But the O's are on pace for to give up 870 runs.

Mountcastle on pace for 60 homers, 200 RBI and 200 strikeouts.

Mateo and Mullins on pace for 80 steals.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks that this is a 90 win team as currently constructed.  Not with the pitching issues this team has.

I don’t know what this team is yet.  The pitching will probably get better, the hitting will probably fall off its current torrid pace.   I don’t really feel any different about this team now than I did on opening day.  There’s a wide range of possibilities.  They’re fun to watch, though.   

• Upvote 4

Two weeks or so in, our offense appears to be real. Maybe not this good, but maybe? (Gunnar, Santander, and Mullins before the weekend we’re all ice cold. Though I don’t expect Adley to have this high of an OBP or for Mateo to be this good). 

But when looking at things, this is the team or at least offense that we were constructed to be. (With the draft approach the last five years.) We will continue to be an elite offense for the immediate future, especially with all of the elite hitting prospects still yet to break into the Majors.

Now pitching that’s another story, we will definitely experience improvement because let’s be honest it would be hard for us to be much worse. 2 quality starts in 16 games! But how much improvement will come organically and how much will need to be acquired?

I like the possibilities of our bullpen especially with returning players from injury and if the Ynoa can be a true 8th inning guy.

I think @Frobby had it right above.  I think there are a wild variance of what this team can be and ultimately it is going to come down to how well it pitches.  The Offense isn't going to necessarily stay this hot.  But I would also say that while Mateo is on fire and will likely cool off, I think Gunnar will heat up.  Overall, I love what this team is doing offensively and as people get hot and others cool off, I am pretty optimistic on the offensive potential.

I also think the defense will settle in and be what we expected.

Pitching is what is going to determine whether this team is a 90+ game winning team or a 75 game winning team.

Early signs are conflicting.  We should have a much better idea of what this team is at the 50 game mark IMHO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone thinks that this is a 90 win team as currently constructed.  Not with the pitching issues this team has.

It could be worse.  We could have the White Sox's bullpen.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Just an oddity..10% of the season done and the Rays have only played 3 games in outdoor facilities. They're are killing it, but

With the schedule they had early, they could have won playing on the moon!  But, credit to them for taking full advantage of their opportunity.  

Trying to extrapolate anything at the ten percent mark is really reaching for a star. Fun but useless. Fun, because we haven't had much to reach for at this point recently. Useless because this is a SSS. See last year at the ten percent mark.

Now, if we can get to a point where we have decent pitching ............  Because I think we have the offensive weapons/depth to hang with anyone. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I don’t like the wall. I think it’s affecting our hitters. I’ve mentioned before that I think it has totally warped Mountcastle into something he was never really meant to be. The guy came up as a pull-heavy HR hitter, and in his first season-plus (725 PAs), he puts up 38 HRs and a 116 wRC+. Since then, the wRC+ is down to 110, and his approach has totally changed, with his pull numbers plummeting (down from 39% in 2021 to less than 28% this year). He still hits the ball hard, but constantly underachieves his batted ball data — probably because he’s trying to avoid the pull field and hitting balls to the deepest parts of pretty much every other park. Will the same thing happen to Mayo? Maybe he has more pure power, but it’s always going to be a challenge for a RH slugger to survive with that wall. So much harder to do damage.   Beyond that, I think it’s also creating a serious risk of changing our LH hitters’ approaches too. These guys (Henderson, Holliday, Cowser, 2/3 of Adley) have come up with a reputation for being able to drive the ball to all fields. But how long does that continue when they just can’t hit it out to the opposite field? Our LH hitters had a combined 44 wRC+ at OPACY, and only one HR. They had the 3rd most balls hit to LF at home by LHHs, but the lowest wRC+ of any team on those balls. The Royals, ironically enough, were the only team that was lower than a 70 wRC+ — that’s how much worse our lefties fared going oppo (at OPACY) than everyone else’s. By player: Gunnar Henderson: 112 wRC+ (51 PAs) Adley Rutschman: 10 wRC+ / .026 ISO (38 PAs) Anthony Santander: 14 wRC+ / .095 ISO (43 PAs) Colton Cowser: 58 wRC+ / .057 ISO (36 PAs) Ryan O’Hearn: 47 wRC+ / .091 ISO (55 PAs) Cedric Mullins: 23 wRC+ / .100 ISO (41 PAs) Jackson Holliday: -72 wRC+ / .000 ISO (16 PAs)   On the road, they had a combined 126 wRC+ (with 9 HRs) going to left field, so it’s not like they’re bad at it. It’s just Death Valley out there in LF for them at OPACY.  How long will it be until these LH guys just start going full pull-happy? Essentially, the opposite of what’s happened with Mountcastle. When (a) your team’s philosophy is to focus on doing damage and (b) you can’t DO damage to the opposite field — the rational endpoint is just to try to pull everything. I don’t think that’s a good outcome. I think it makes them much worse hitters in the other 81 games, and I think it’s a terrible waste of a bunch of really talented hitters with all-field abilities.
    • Which core players beside Adley Rutschman struggled?
    • The entire commentary on Hyde and the team seems odd but have to admit there does seem to be something off.   Team seemed adrift for most of the 2nd half.  A very talented team went off the rails midway through the season mostly due to core players struggling and rookies not performing or filling in adequately for a few injured starters.    None of the position player trade line acquisitions performed that well.     Hyde seemed in over his head or at a loss on how to correct things, but he must have convinced Elias that he has a plan to fix things.  Curious to see what happens with the coaching staff.  
    • And or give up picks for QO pitchers 
    • They've averaged 92 wins a year the last 3 years in the most difficult environment in the sport with basically the greatest disadvantages in the sport. Something tells me they know a hell of a lot more about this than you do.    
    • Not when they aren't worthy. At minimum the hitting coaches should be el gonezo
    • That is the sign of a stable and successful organization.  Firing people.  Who could argue that?
  • Popular Contributors