Orioles power rankings, 2023

Frobby

4 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Toronto... it's really hard to explain why they're not running away, or at least right there with Tampa. That's a talented team, which makes it even more impressive that the O's swept them at home like that.

Maybe they just aren’t that good?  They don’t live up to expectations every year. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

If the Yankees get healthy they're were always going to be in the mix.

Toronto... it's really hard to explain why they're not running away, or at least right there with Tampa. That's a talented team, which makes it even more impressive that the O's swept them at home like that.

Their manager doesn't seem that great from a game decision making standpoint.

I wonder how he is in the clubhouse.  That seems to me as if it might be a difficult club to manage.

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Their manager doesn't seem that great from a game decision making standpoint. I wonder how he is in the clubhouse.  That seems to me as if it might be a difficult club to manage.

This I think is a real thing. Like BOS they just assume they will be good and in it until the end. But there are strong personalities in every clubhouse, those who have a record of success, along with newbies, rookies, new acquisitions, etc. It takes time and a manager with good ears and the ability to process the input, to process the data. Hyde is very good at that, I think the veteran managers not so much. I don't know which of the "other 3" beyond TB will fold and implode, but IMHO, our O's finish 3rd, win the first playoff series, and next yea, go W-T-W to the WS. We ae seeing shades of 1982

Edited by AnythingO's
typo

10 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Maybe they just aren’t that good?  They don’t live up to expectations every year. 

They’ve been in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.  They won 91 games the year they weren’t in the playoffs.  They’re not exactly far out of things now.  I wouldn’t be shoveling any dirt in their grave yet.  

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Their manager doesn't seem that great from a game decision making standpoint.

I'll buy that.  Plus I'll add that they don't have the bench/bullpen options that we have to begin with.  Their overall offensive and pitching stats are pretty close to ours.  But we've got 5 bullpen guys with a sub-3.50 ERA.  They've got 2 (and a 3rd at 3.52.)  The O's have 12 hitters with an OPS+ of 85 or higher.  Toronto has 8. 

We have the roster construct (and/or have made better game decisions) to put our guys in a match-up to succeed more often than they have.  I haven't checked, but I suspect we play up in close games, extra innings, and comebacks comparatively with TOR.

• Upvote 1

Fangraphs Playoff Odds model now has us up to 51% now, I believe the first time this season we can be considered "favored" to make it. That puts us ahead of Toronto (45%). Mariners, Angels, Guardians, Boston continue to fade. Looks like a four way race for three spots, between O's, Yankees, Jays, and Rangers. Another series win vs the Rangers would solidify our position

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN Power Rankings has the Orioles 5th:

5. Baltimore Orioles

Record: 42-25

Previous ranking: 6

The Orioles continue to flourish and there's growing reason to fear the birds. For one, rookie Gunnar Henderson seems to be finding his stroke. In the past week, the 21-year-old infielder had 13 hits and four homers in 24 at-bats after entering the month barely peeking over the Mendoza Line. With outfielder Cedric Mullins working his way back from the injured list, Baltimore's offense could take another big leap. -- Lee

In regards to Power Rankings across the board, I think they're pretty fun and pretty telling.  Like, no one was going to put the Orioles 5th after the first two or three weeks of the season because no one thought that highly of the Orioles headed into the season.  The ESPN preseason ranking had the Orioles at 17th and by Week 4 they were 9th.  

But we're halfway through June and now they're 5th.  In other words, ESPN is buying that they're this good.  So if you're one of the Orioles fans out there that thinks the national media hates us or loves to ignore us for whatever reason, this should make you happy.