Nats Series

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Now, maybe Kremer has just sucked and the WBC has nothing to do with it but it’s reasonable to think, especially since it has happened to plenty of players in the past, that the WBC has something to do with it.

Impossible to say.  FWIW, Kremer pitched three times this spring after returning from the WBC:

4.0 IP, 2 R (3/17)

5.0 IP, 2 R (3/22)

4.2 IP, 5 R (3/27)

I believe he also got into two games before leaving for the WBC.  He definitely pitched on March 3, throwing 3 scoreless innings.  I think he also pitched one of the late February games, but I can’t find a box score for a couple of them.  

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Impossible to say.  FWIW, Kremer pitched three times this spring after returning from the WBC:

4.0 IP, 2 R (3/17)

5.0 IP, 2 R (3/22)

4.2 IP, 5 R (3/27)

I believe he also got into two games before leaving for the WBC.  He definitely pitched on March 3, throwing 3 scoreless innings.  I think he also pitched one of the late February games, but I can’t find a box score for a couple of them.  

Agreed. We won’t know if it had anything to do with anything unless he comes out and talks about it.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. We won’t know if it had anything to do with anything unless he comes out and talks about it.

My take on the whole thing is….it’s baseball. Sometimes things go your way, sometimes they don’t.  These guys are professionals and they have busted their tails their entire lives to get to where they are.  They are getting in the needed work to put themselves in a situation to be successful at all times.   I’d argue that the only way to really get better(at any level) is to play games, and play the best competition possible.  I don’t buy for a minute getting work in during a ST game is better than getting work in in a highly competitive environment against the best possible opponent.  We've all seen the BP All-star & the amazing bullpen session.  playing games makes you better.  not pfps.  

Edited by emmett16

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt even he knows.  And even if he thinks the WBC may have hurt him, I’ll bet he’d never say it publicly.  

I do want to say one other thing: I don’t think Kremer has been nearly as bad as his numbers say.   He’s had a couple of huge mistake pitches that really hurt him, and the defense behind him was awful a couple of times he pitched, even though no unearned runs have been recorded off him so far.  Obviously, I can’t defend allowing 5 homers in 12 IP, which scored 11 of the 13 runs he’s allowed.   But I feel pretty confident that he’ll come around.  Hopefully, starting tonight.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

4.0 IP, 2 R (3/17)

5.0 IP, 2 R (3/22)

4.2 IP, 5 R (3/27)

https://www.mlb.com/player/dean-kremer-665152?stats=gamelogs-s-pitching-mlb&year=2023

2 innings 2/26

So why do they call it the Beltway Series?

I mean,  yes, both cities have Beltways, but they are separate from each other.   Baltimore and Atlanta both have beltways, but I don't think they'd call an Orioles/Braves series the Beltway series.

It should be called the BW Parkway Series.   Or the MASN Cup.

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So why do they call it the Beltway Series?

I mean,  yes, both cities have Beltways, but they are separate from each other.   Baltimore and Atlanta both have beltways, but I don't think they'd call an Orioles/Braves series the Beltway series.

It should be called the BW Parkway Series.   Or the MASN Cup.

I’ve heard it called “the battle of the Beltways.”   That makes more sense than “Beltway series.”  

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Thanks for posting.  Good read (for BR) and interesting.   I think my point stands.  It’s baseball, some good performances some bad.  But overall a lot more good than bad.  Seems like writer wanted to hate on WBC

-Made point as a negative that Ichiro had a down year because he went from 15hr to 9 lol.  That year destroyed his career ISO!

- The 2009 pitchers (I think) that all were “down” were all, lousy pitchers.  Minus Santana (havnt looked to see if that was after his np hitter/blown arm game - imagine it was)

-Almost all the “down” next season players were Old Dudes at end of career 

If you want to get better…..play games.  And understand how to take care of your body. 

I thought the Nats actually pitched really well in those two games. O's definitely had some listless ABs and hit into some bad luck but I was impressed by Gray and Gore. More so Gore but it's just great to see the O's take advantage of the one mistake a good pitcher gives you. Sometimes, that's all it takes.