Orioles offer BRob 3yr 30 million

33rdst

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cant wait for everyone on here to bash the front office next offseason when Roberts has an All-star like season this year and that we didnt sign him this offseason. BTW I dont see any good 2nd basemen in the pipeline.

He could be the second coming of Robbie Alomar and I would not be wanting to overpay!!!

Tell me do you overpay for things ?

Roberts should take the 3/30. It's entirely fair, especially if the Os add a little with an option year and/or incentives.

Otherwise Roberts plays this year out, becomes a Type A free agent, the Os offer arbitration, he declines it and then he sits around like Orlando Cabrera in mid-January with practically no market for his services because of the compensation picks required for his signing. I'm not saying that scenario plays out, but it could, and Roberts will regret not taking the deal.

With the uncertain economy, I bet he plays it safe and extends.

Do you guys think Roberts would take less money to go to a winning team?

I wonder this sometimes given the how the losing might've worn on him and his unwillingness to commit to the Orioles long term in his last contract.

Yup, exactly my thoughts.... ;) I honestly can't blame him. Most folks would want to make money AND win. Let's face it, losing sucks!

This might have been covered somewhere else but maybe Roberts doesn't want 3/$30m because he simply doesn't want to be here. Sure he's saying all the right things in public, but would you really think he'd say otherwise?

The guy hasn't been on a winning team his entire MLB career. Not only that but he's experienced some truly dreadful team lowlights while he's been here. He's not only been on bad teams but been a part of a laughingstock org despite the fact its improved now.

If I put myself in his shoes I'm thinking here's my chance to walk unless they want to really overpay me. Sure there's some financial risk involved but maybe he's alright with it b/c the losing is grating on him so badly. He's getting toward the tail end of his career so maybe he wants to make those years count.

Well then you are willing to overpay, which was my point about you and Peace to begin with(hence what I bolded in Soprano's post).

Call me what you will, but I dont think 4/48 is overpaying. SG we have this debate every month. You know as well as I do that those numbers would make it a done deal. But I was listening to Bob Haynie's show today, he had on Mark Mussina, and they threw around the idea of putting an out clause in that type of deal by year three. I think that would make the 4.48 not so bad in your eyes. Am I right?

Call me what you will, but I dont think 4/48 is overpaying. SG we have this debate every month. You know as well as I do that those numbers would make it a done deal. But I was listening to Bob Haynie's show today, he had on Mark Mussina, and they threw around the idea of putting an out clause in that type of deal by year three. I think that would make the 4.48 not so bad in your eyes. Am I right?

The most I would give is 2/24.

I think Brian is making a foolish mistake here. Obviously, the landscape of baseball has changed. No one is getting lucrative contracts (except for the MFYs) like they used to. I have been a huge Brian Roberts fan since I saw him in AA playing alongside the future A-Rod Eddie Rogers.

Brian needs to recognize that he will be 32 at the end of the year. A three year deal will take him until he is 35. Does he really think that someone will offer him 4/40 to 4/48? I would suspect that his stolen base ability will regress in the next few years.

In a market where Adam Dunn may have to accept one year at $5 million, I can't see where Brian would think he can get over 10 million on multiple years.

BTW, isn't it strange in baseball right now that Ryan Howard is asking for $18 million in arbitration and Adam Dunn is not even getting an offer that is in his ballpark? I don't see THAT much of a difference between the two to have such a wide spread. I would not be surprised next year, assuming the Phillies decline, to see the Phillies let Ryan Howard walk.

I mentioned on another post that Roberts is not worth what Youkilis is getting ($10.4 million per year for 4 yrs) or what Markakis is getting ($11 million per yr over 6 years). So what is the magic number? $10,250,000 per year over 4 years for $41 million? I like Roberts but have been disappointed the last two years with his getting picked off base. Is he staring at a good looking blonde or brunette in the stands? If he signs and we keep him he needs to learn how to improve his base running. Granted he stole 40 bases in 50 attempts which is very good but he got picked off too many times which cost us runs. He and his agent have overvalued him and need to come back down to earth. He turned down 3 years for $30 million or $10 million per year. Why? Is he trying to negotiate a one way ticket to Chicago or LA?

The most I would give is 2/24.

Then you probably are not as really interested in signing him, as you are offending him...which I don't think does anyone, any good.

The O's need to commit on this - they either really want Roberts or they don't. I suspect with a 3/30 offer, they want him, but only at a local team friendly price.

Halfarsed stuff.

They're probably willing to go 3/33 and are looking for a counter offer of 3/36.

I don't think Roberts wants 14+MM / year, unless he himself wants to get out of town (which would not surprise me at this point).

Then you probably are not as really interested in signing him, as you are offending him...which I don't think does anyone, any good.

The O's need to commit on this - they either really want Roberts or they don't. I suspect with a 3/30 offer, they want him, but only at a local team friendly price.

Halfarsed stuff.

They're probably willing to go 3/33 and are looking for a counter offer of 3/36.

I don't think Roberts wants 14+MM / year, unless he himself wants to get out of town (which would not surprise me at this point).

2/24 isn't offensive, but it is beside the point as BRob already has $30 million gross on the table. If he were a free agent this off season, could he do better than 3/30? If Orlando Hudson's current situation is any indication, I don't believe he could and this is why I don't believe this offer has anything to do with "local team friendly" prices or lack of commitment, nor is it in any way "halfarsed" on the part of the Orioles.

Right now 3/30 is a offer that's not only fair but one that I think recognizes the hard-to-quantify "intangibles" that he brings to the organization and the Baltimore community. I don't believe the O's offer discounts that.

IIRC, Tejada signed here during one of those conservative off seasons, and the very next year free agent salaries skyrocketed. Maybe BRob's counting on history repeating itself in this regard. Fair enough, but that's a genuine gamble. It's just as likely that this off season signals a sea change that will last for a while, and after all, $30 million is still a whole lot of money.

If Brian is just sick of all the losing and wants out then maybe losing out on a couple million might not be that big of a deal to him. Not every ball player is full of greed like Tex and Arod. No offense Yankee fans.

LOL, so if a marquee guy like Tex or ARod chooses to sign with the Yankees, it makes him "full of greed"?

No chance that the allure of playing in the biggest market, for the most fans, in the poshest stadium, for MLB's marquee franchise with the most championships, richest history, largest payroll, and a virtual guarantee of contending year in and year out, has anything to do with it?

Nope, must just be greed. :rolleyestf:

Anyone else having Melvin Mora flashbacks?

If you're saying that because Melvin is older and is unlikely to play for a winning O's team during this contract, fine, but he's been well worth what he's been paid so far.

I was told we may add an option year but won't go much over 3/32 million. That being said there is zippy interest in Roberts right now. Hudson has yet to sign and the Fish will make Uggla available soon.

Interesting. So if this remains the case according to BB, I know at least two posters who shouldn't say anything negative about AM keeping Brob this off-season.

Interesting. So if this remains the case according to BB, I know at least two posters who shouldn't say anything negative about AM keeping Brob this off-season.

Poppycock, I say. All 29 GM's could hold a press conference stating that they are not willing to trade for Roberts and AM would still be held responsible for not trading him this offseason. For every "blind homer, with his head in the sand", there are posters who are completely unreasonable in their expectations, and will vehemently attack the O's FO on just about every move they make.

If a good move is made, you immediately see comments like, it should have been done months ago. Doesn't matter that none of us has a real clue as to what is going on behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

Archived