Orioles offer BRob 3yr 30 million

33rdst

Maybe if it is a player option.

What happens if a player declines his option? Would the team get the draft pick when he signs with another team? I know if a team declines a team option, they can't get the draft pick.

Actually, they can. In both cases the team just needs to offer arbitration.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Google cache is a wonderful thing ;)

From the article dated Jan. 19

He didn't necessarily reject the offer, but he didn't accept it either (obviously)

Thanks Tony.

So, here are the questions I have:

1) Are we willing to move off of that offer?

2) In this market, why wouldn't BRob sign that deal?

3) Is BRob just waiting for Hudson to sign?

4) Did AM offer a contract that he would be fine with but knows BROb won't accept to save face with the fans?

Thanks Tony.

4) Did AM offer a contract that he would be fine with but knows BROb won't accept to save face with the fans?

Good questions, all.

The answer to number one is maybe, in my humble estimation.

I think he likes Baltimore, but I think he wants the fourth year. I also think most agents are trying to figure out how long it will take the free agent market to recover (one or two years, or longer).

If they consider the offers will not be any better next winter, he may yet jump on the three year offer.

I also think PA is a factor here. I think Roberts would already be gone, but PA like him a bunch and either wants to keep him or get a truckload of talent in return, so I don't think AM is offering a deal he knows B-Rob would hate.

Hudson does appear to be the wild card holding things up a bit (and would likely get answers to whether or not we will move off the offer or Roberts likes the contract as offered).

-Don

After locking up Nick i would make one more attempt to extend B-rob at say 3/33. If he wants to stay an Oriole i think that would be a pretty fair deal. If he says no thanks then obviously he wants to play for a winner and i would look to move him at the dead line.

Sign and trade is never done in baseball. Even since they repealed the rule where you could demand a trade if you were traded in the middle of a LT deal.

Trade and sign, with a window, is another story.

Winter 2006 Bronson Arroyo signed an extension with the Red Sox for a hometown discount price of 11M dollars, against the wishes of his agent. He was traded before Spring Training. Sure, there was a bit of a delay after he signed, but you wont make me believe for one minute that this was not a case of sign and trade.

After locking up Nick i would make one more attempt to extend B-rob at say 3/33. If he wants to stay an Oriole i think that would be a pretty fair deal. If he says no thanks then obviously he wants to play for a winner and i would look to move him at the dead line.

The fan in me, who thinks Roberts makes the team better, would be willing to go for all four years, even with potential diminished returns in the last year.

I think he adds stability to the offense and infield defense and can make us a winner faster than trading him for future/possible good players.

That said, if he wants out or a deal that doesn't make sense to the team, I could get behind a trade. But it would have to be a really good deal. I don't think waiting it out for free agency and draft picks is a good idea.

Sign him pretty quick or make a deal, as others have been suggesting for a while.

-Don

Thanks Tony.

No ideal on 1 and 3 obviously, but he's much more valuable than Hudson.

For #2, I would guess that he thinks he is an elite player who can survive the market downturn and/or the market will recover some by next off-season.

I doubt AM knew Brob wouldn't accept and is just doing this to save face with fans.

What somehow got lost in the other thread about Markakis is the fact that the Orioles apparently offered Roberts a three year 30 million dollars, which Roberts has rejcected. How high would you go for Roberts?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,5464895.story

$$$$$$$$$ would not matter:eektf:

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! sign My Perfect One:hearts:NOW:pray:

Guest rochester

We will get nothing at the deadline - we haveto move him now if he is not going to sign.

Sign and trade is never done in baseball. Even since they repealed the rule where you could demand a trade if you were traded in the middle of a LT deal.

Trade and sign, with a window, is another story.

Tell that to Bronson Arroyo. He accepted a hometown discount to stay with the Red Sox- only to have them stab him in the back with it and trade him within a month or so of signing. It surely does still happen.

Winter 2006 Bronson Arroyo signed an extension with the Red Sox for a hometown discount price of 11M dollars, against the wishes of his agent. He was traded before Spring Training. Sure, there was a bit of a delay after he signed, but you wont make me believe for one minute that this was not a case of sign and trade.
Tell that to Bronson Arroyo. He accepted a hometown discount to stay with the Red Sox- only to have them stab him in the back with it and trade him within a month or so of signing. It surely does still happen.

Well that's 1.

Robert still has a limited NTC in his current 2009 contract. And if I'm Roberts agent and the team wants to sign an extension, the extension will have language in it that he can't be traded in 2009, than a full NTC in the 1st year of the extension, limited NTC in all subsequent years of the extension.

Archived