MASN loses in NY Court of Appeals

Frobby

I don't understand, nor care to, all of the legal points of the MASN saga.  In simple terms, I thought the reason a team was put in DC was because the Orioles agreed to it and that they would be the beneficiary of  the lion's share of MASN revenues since their market had been "invaded" by the Nats.

All of this is likely a moot point anyway as I'm sure MASN will likely go the way of the T-Rex soon.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain in dumb-downed terms (@Frobby?) if my assumption above is inaccurate or had been replaced.

Edited by clapdiddy

19 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't understand, nor care to, all of the legal points of the MASN saga.  In simple terms, I thought the reason a team was put in DC was because the Orioles agreed to it and that they would be the beneficiary of  the lion's share of MASN revenues since their market had been "invaded" by the Nats.

All of this is likely a moot point anyway as I'm sure MASN will likely go the way of the T-Rex soon.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain in dumb-downed terms (@Frobby?) if my assumption above is inaccurate or had been replaced.

That’s why they are getting screwed.

I was working with the Os when this was about to go down and the Orioles presenting all these facts to MLB about why this was bad for the org. It wasn’t bs. It’s all factual data.

This was a way to balance things out and the Nats and MLB agreed to it.

Now, the Os are just supposed to bend over and take it without a fight? It’s bs and I don’t blame them.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s why they are getting screwed.

I was working with the Os when this was about to go down and the Orioles presenting all these facts to MLB about why this was bad for the org. It wasn’t bs. It’s all factual data.

This was a way to balance things out and the Nats and MLB agreed to it.

Now, the Os are just supposed to bend over and take it without a fight? It’s bs and I don’t blame them.

Thanks...this is what I thought.

So, in light of all of this, was there some legal "change" that occurred making the original agreement void?   Seems like this would be a cut and dried case for the Orioles.   I find it hard to believe that the Angelos family would have allowed some sort of "out" clause.

8 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Thanks...this is what I thought.

So, in light of all of this, was there some legal "change" that occurred making the original agreement void?   Seems like this would be a cut and dried case for the Orioles.   I find it hard to believe that the Angelos family would have allowed some sort of "out" clause.

I haven’t followed it that closely to be honest. 

What I have gathered from it is the Nats now don’t think it’s fair and TV rights have gone crazy, so they think they are entitled to more.

But that’s the Os fault. This was an agreement. That’s how these things work.  Why should the Os acquiesce to this?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I haven’t followed it that closely to be honest. 

What I have gathered from it is the Nats now don’t think it’s fair and TV rights have gone crazy, so they think they are entitled to more.

But that’s the Os fault. This was an agreement. That’s how these things work.  Why should the Os acquiesce to this?

I know you know this, but what is "fair" doesn't matter.    I'm no lawyer, but if the two entities that signed the agreement want to change it, they both must agree.   Seems like this would be a 10 minute deliberation by a judge to say "go pound sand" to the Nats.  

I think it's pretty cut and dry that a huge part of the deal hinged on MASN  paying the Nationals "fair market value" for the five year period in question.  And presumably the subsequent five year period.

The Orioles and Nats GREATLY disagreed on how much 'fair market value' was and it went to other arbitrators.  So far it seems like the arbitrators have consistently said that the O's offer was too low.

I have zero sympathy for O's brass in how all of this has played out.  But it sucks for the fans of both teams and I think the Nats are justified in saying that they have 'suffered' from being denied hundreds of millions of dollars now potentially.    Seems to me like good faith negotiations could have resolved this a long long time ago.

Edited by Aglets
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Good luck to the Nats in getting any of that money in the next decade. This puppy's just getting started!

So we don't need to liquidate the DR complex so John Angelos can buy groceries?    Whew!

I guess loosely I'm rooting for whatever resolves uncertainties for prospective new owners.    Under the incumbents, I hope for 1-2 Core Four free agent season purchases - the path to more feels like a fresh steward before 2028.

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

So we don't need to liquidate the DR complex so John Angelos can buy groceries?    Whew!

I guess loosely I'm rooting for whatever resolves uncertainties for prospective new owners.    Under the incumbents, I hope for 1-2 Core Four free agent season purchases - the path to more feels like a fresh steward before 2028.

Yeah jokes aside I do root for this thing to just go away, however it happens. I just don't think we are at all close to that. As long as there are legal ways to delay, I think the O's will use them.