Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Frazier and Urias.

Understood, but Mateo has nothing to do with Ortiz playing second base.  You're right that Frazier's left handedness could impact playing time, even if it shouldn't.  And, Ortiz may prove to be the better right handed 2nd and 3rd baseman over Urias. 

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't think there's a place for all of them on the O's. Logic suggests that the plan all along with the heavy positional player preference and picks at the top of each draft, that it had to be anticipated that the day would come when some of these guys would need to be used in a trade to acquire the pitching that we NEVER took in the past 5 drafts. 

I agree that's the logical assumption, but we'll see what happens this year....the trade deadline will be a good barometer to see what the plan is...

Just now, NCRaven said:

Understood, but Mateo has nothing to do with Ortiz playing second base.  You're right that Frazier's left handedness could impact playing time, even if it shouldn't.  And, Ortiz may prove to be the better right handed 2nd and 3rd baseman over Urias. 

Vs RHP who do you want Ortiz to take ABs away from?  Gunnar at 3d?  Mateo at SS?  Or Frazier and/or Urias at 2b?

For me, both Frazier and Urias.  Urias won a good glove for 90 games at 3B.  It's almost like Raffy winning at 1B when he played most of the season at DH.  I think that Ortiz is a better option than Frazier at 2B could very well be better than Urias at either 2B or 3B.  For me, Urias is an excellent utility option.  He would be even better if he got time in the OF.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

For me, both Frazier and Urias.  Urias won a good glove for 90 games at 3B.  It's almost like Raffy winning at 1B when he played most of the season at DH.  I think that Ortiz is a better option than Frazier at 2B could very well be better than Urias at either 2B or 3B.  For me, Urias is an excellent utility option.  He would be even better if he got time in the OF.

In the fullness of time this all might prove to be true.  But Ortiz is not going to be handed a starting position.  He's going to get sporadic starts, in favorable matchups, and the better he performs the more opportunities he will be given.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Urias has a career OPS of .787 vs RHP. How likely do you think it is that Ortiz can match or exceed that?

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

uhmm-not-really-derrick-boner.gif

yeah you beat me to it.  Comparing Urias to Raffy re the GG is selling Urias WAY short.  It may have only been 90 games but Urias was legit good.  Did Raffy even play 20 games at first?  I know the number was ridiculously low, way below 90 for sure.

11 minutes ago, deward said:

Urias has a career OPS of .787 vs RHP. How likely do you think it is that Ortiz can match or exceed that?

If Urias is as underrated around the league as he is at this website, its not wonder Elias hasn't traded him - he won't get a bag of balls!

• Upvote 1