Thursday, May 18 (early afternoon): Orioles end 10 game homestand

SteveA

Just now, Surhoffan17 said:

That's the problem with how he falls off to the third base side, more so than other lefties. Just a shame. Tough loss if it is a loss. 

If he busted it over there it would have been close but he stood and watched the play happen.

This goes back to the 6th inning when Baumann couldn't get through one inning of work. He really needs to come in and eat two innings in that situation. If he's not going to be consistent enough to do that, he's going to end up back in Norfolk. Needing to pull him before the game imploded put a situation in where Voth had to come in in a situation he's not good at.

14 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Ortiz has a sub .500 OPS in 5 games. Granted very small sample size, but yea, he hasn't walked or hit an extra base hit yet. Let me clue you in. Mateo was worth 14 runs saved last year at SS. That is almost impossible to find. 

Again, over a 5 game sample that isn't enough even to really mention.  And in May Mateo has a .292 OPS in 13 games.  Still a very small sample size, yet much worse than Ortiz and his 'sub .500'.  As to the defense, it's still very good, but not quite as good as last year to this point.  Defensive metrics are messy in general, but almost all I can find show he's regressed defensively from last year.  End point being, I don't see much of a drop off defense wise from Mateo to Ortiz and the offensive production would be, I believe, overall better.  I love what Mateo did for 6 weeks last year and what he did in March and April of this year.  But otherwise he's been very bad with the bat.  When he's cold, he's ARTIC cold.  I'm ready to give him a bit more time on the bench and fewer at bats, be they to Urias or Ortiz or whoever.  

Monday night:   Voth comes in when we are down 8-5 and has a perfect inning, 16 pitches.   Instead of letting him go a 2nd inning, we bring in someone else.   We also use Bauman for the 9th.   We use 5 relievers in the game.   We could have used Voth for an extra inning and kept Baumann available for the next day .

Tuesday:  we don't have many guys available because of all the guys we used Monday.   So even though we have a 4 run lead, we are boxed into using Cano in the 9th.   You could argue that he "needed to pitch" because he hasn't gone since Saturday

Wednesday:  We need Cano for the 8th and he comes through.

Today:  Because Cano has pitched 2 straight games, he isn't available, and it wound up costing us two runs in the 9th.

All goes back to the decision to only go one inning with an effective Voth on Monday and burn extra relievers that night.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Coulombe did half of his job, then failed by not covering the base. Inning should be over.

If he breaks for first and busts his ass, Ohtani still beats him easily.  A heads up play May have been the force play at 2nd or maybe not.

2 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

Losing a game like this stings but it doesn’t really bother me knowing we have better bullpen options coming back too. Voth shouldn’t be on our roster. I don’t trust Coloumbe either. 

When is the cavalry that I keep hearing of coming? Because all these games count.