Kyle Gibson is on a 20 win pace

wildcard

With 7 wins.    I think that is notable.

That is the 2nd most wins in the MLB behind McClanahan's.  He is tied with four other starters with 7 wins.   Eovaldi of Texas,  Eflin of Tampa.  Joe Ryan of Minnesota and Zac Gallen of Arizona.

Gibbon's is on pace for 35 starts and 210 IP.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

• wildcard changed the title to Kyle Gibson is on a 20 win pace

I know folks like to pooh-pooh wins as a measure of how good a pitcher is, but it would be truly amazing to have a 20-game winner on the staff.  Because wins are wins, and winning is the very best thing a pitcher can do.   In other words, regardless of how good Gibson is or isn’t, I just like to win.   

Now, is Gibson really on a 20-win pace?  He’s won 7 of 12 starts, or 58.3%.  But he’ll probably only make 33 starts at most.   58.3% of 33 is 19.2.   Bummer!

Tell you what, I’d be pretty stoked if he won 19.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I care more about the starts and innings.

You can’t really win 20 without putting up a lot of starts and innings.  Certainly Gibson is doing a good job in those categories.  But I disagree with wildcard’s statement that Gibson is on pace for 35 starts and 210 innings.  That’s true today in a mathematical sense, but it ignores the fact that Gibson pitched yesterday and won’t pitch for the next four games.   So really, he’s on pace for 33 starts and about 197 innings.  Good enough!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

You can’t really win 20 without putting up a lot of starts and innings.  Certainly Gibson is doing a good job in those categories.  But I disagree with wildcard’s statement that Gibson is on pace for 35 starts and 210 innings.  That’s true today in a mathematical sense, but it ignores the fact that Gibson pitched yesterday and won’t pitch for the next four games.   So really, he’s on pace for 33 starts and about 197 innings.  Good enough!

Talk about your nitpicking. Lol

19.3 wins, 33 starts and 197 innings.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I know folks like to pooh-pooh wins as a measure of how good a pitcher is, but it would be truly amazing to have a 20-game winner on the staff.  Because wins are wins, and winning is the very best thing a pitcher can do.   In other words, regardless of how good Gibson is or isn’t, I just like to win.   

Now, is Gibson really on a 20-win pace?  He’s won 7 of 12 starts, or 58.3%.  But he’ll probably only make 33 starts at most.   58.3% of 33 is 19.2.   Bummer!

Since we are at the 1/3 mark of the season now, you could say he is on pace for 36 starts!   ;)

If he can make that many starts with a sub 4.00 ERA,  that is absolutely fantastic no matter how many times he happens to leave with a lead and then the bullpen happens to not give up enough runs so that the lead is overtaken.

Edited by Aglets

16 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Elias looks really damn good right now

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I care more about the starts and innings.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

If Kyle Gibson wins 20 (or even 19) games this year, the offense will have had a darn good year.

All of these are saying the same thing to me.

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We are 55 games into the season.   7 divided by 55 times 162 = 20.6 win

12 starts divided by 55 times 162 = 35.3 starts

71.6 IP divided by 55 times 162 = 210.9 IP

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Since we are at the 1/3 mark of the season now, you could say he is on pace for 36 starts!   ;)

If he can make that many starts with a sub 4.00 ERA,  that is absolutely fantastic no matter how many times he happens to leave with a lead and then the bullpen happens to not give enough runs so that the lead is overtaken.

But I want to win.  I care about winning more than I do about how well Glbson pitches.  I’d rather win an 8-7 slugfest where Gibson pitches 5 poor innings but has a lead that the bullpen preserves, than lose a 2-1 game where Gibson throws 8.2 shutout innings, a runner reached on an error, and then Bautista allows a 2 run homer.  So that’s why a 20-win season would make me happy.  It’s got nothing to do with how good Gibson was, though in truth, he’d probably have to pitch very well to win 20.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But I want to win.  I care about winning more than I do about how well Glbson pitches.  I’d rather win an 8-7 slugfest where Gibson pitches 5 poor innings but has a lead that the bullpen preserves, than lose a 2-1 game where Gibson throws 8.2 shutout innings, a runner reached on an error, and then Bautista allows a 2 run homer.  So that’s why a 20-win season would make me happy.  It’s got nothing to do with how good Gibson was, though in truth, he’d probably have to pitch very well to win 20.   

To be clear, we all want the team to win.  I just don't care whatsoever about which pitcher gets assigned the win.

We are more likely to win games where Gibson pitches well vs the games where he pitches poorly.   With respect to Gibson's abilities I really only care about the things he has direct control over, and that is things like WHIP, K rate, HR rate, and then a little less directly........his ERA.  I know I'm not saying anything particularly profound here but I just wanted to say it at least once.

It would certainly be amazing if he wins 18-20 though.  No doubt.