Kolozsvary out, Ortiz back

interloper

7 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Someone made a point earlier that the decision on Mountcastle may have come so close to game time they had to pull someone from the taxi squad because they didn't have time to get anyone else here in time.  Seems to be the only thing that makes any sense.

I get that...but was having Kolozsvary on the 26-man yesterday for one game, really that important that you DFA Denoyer in the process? If you were going to bring up Cowser or Westburg today, then sure because you would have to DFA someone anyway and DFA'ing Kolozsvary is relatively non-consequential. But if we were just going to call up Ortiz today anyway, I'd rather have played a man short yesterday and have Denoyer on the 40-man roster and Kolozsvary still on a minor league deal than have Kolozsvary for one game and have to DFA Denoyer. 

Sure, Kolozsvary got into the game yesterday, but McCann could have just as easily given Adley the inning off. And you weren't going to get in a situation where you needed Koloszvary's bat that has produced a .172 average and .549 OPS in the minors. Realistically, there wasn't going to be a situation where him being on the team for 1 game made any difference between a win or a loss. 

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I get that...but was having Kolozsvary on the 26-man yesterday for one game, really that important that you DFA Denoyer in the process? If you were going to bring up Cowser or Westburg today, then sure because you would have to DFA someone anyway and DFA'ing Kolozsvary is relatively non-consequential. But if we were just going to call up Ortiz today anyway, I'd rather have played a man short yesterday and have Denoyer on the 40-man roster and Kolozsvary still on a minor league deal than have Kolozsvary for one game and have to DFA Denoyer. 

Sure, Kolozsvary got into the game yesterday, but McCann could have just as easily given Adley the inning off. And you weren't going to get in a situation where you needed Koloszvary's bat that has produced a .172 average and .549 OPS in the minors. Realistically, there wasn't going to be a situation where him being on the team for 1 game made any difference between a win or a loss. 

I see your point but I think we all know some 40 man space is going to be necessary soon either way.  I will be very surprised Cowser or Westburg aren't in Baltimore very soon.  We could of delayed it a bit but it was coming either way.

It is good to see Ortiz and his future is bright.  Most of the posts have seemingly assumed he will immediately be an upgrade over Adam Frazier.  Playing devil’s advocate… how much rope do you give him if he hits abysmally initally as did Gunnar , Adley etc .. given that we are trying to win a pennant and every game is key? 

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is good to see Ortiz and his future is bright.  Most of the posts have seemingly assumed he will immediately be an upgrade over Adam Frazier.  Playing devil’s advocate… how much rope do you give him if he hits abysmally initally as did Gunnar , Adley etc .. given that we are trying to win a pennant and every game is key? 

If he's not hitting great but he's at least putting it in play and playing good D, he should get some leash. It's not like Mateo and Frazier are lighting the world on fire (and he provides a RH alternative to Frazier). It's a different story if he looks lost, but he hasn't in his few PA this year so I don't think that will happen.

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I see your point but I think we all know some 40 man space is going to be necessary soon either way.  I will be very surprised Cowser or Westburg aren't in Baltimore very soon.  We could of delayed it a bit but it was coming either way.

I won't be surprised by anything at this point. 

All of this makes sense.  Now we have an optionable arm at the back of the bullpen.  Current players in the minors that can rotate in our Gilaspie, Vespi, Watkins, and Zimmerman.  Hall???

They must have been really down on Denoyer.  

I don't think Perez is long for this team, but then again it's not like we have a ton of relievers in AAA/AA.  Maybe Darwinzon and Wandisson Charles.  

10 minutes ago, HandsomeQuack said:

If he's not hitting great but he's at least putting it in play and playing good D, he should get some leash. It's not like Mateo and Frazier are lighting the world on fire (and he provides a RH alternative to Frazier). It's a different story if he looks lost, but he hasn't in his few PA this year so I don't think that will happen.

Mateo no.. Frazier has played a key role in a number of wins that have helped bring us where we are at the moment 

Best case is he lights it up and Frazier plays a platoon and other backup role .. but if he is adjusting, I am not running him out there for a prolonged stretch 

Just now, tntoriole said:

Mateo no.. Frazier has played a key role in a number of wins that have helped bring us where we are at the moment 

Best case is he lights it up and Frazier plays a platoon and other backup role .. but if he is adjusting, I am not running him out there for a prolonged stretch 

I agree that if he is struggling than he should not play over Frazier, at least not against RHP. But Frazier has been a below average hitter and defender to this point, so it's not like Ortiz needs to go crazy to justify taking some at-bats from him.

• Upvote 1