Rank our top needs:

DocJJ

2 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

What will they cost in terms of prospects?

Obviously we gave up a lot for Andrew Miller back in 2014 so. That would be someone like Hall or Povich maybe?

I think it's possible that we might have a guy already within the organization who might be that guy. There's a good number of talented relievers in the organization. Cano was one of them to start the season and look how good he's been. 

We need           A  Solid  RH  MOO Hitter.   RBI Man

A TOR Pitcher      May have it in Wells                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         A Real ML 1st baseman  rather than a patchwork  situation

The rotation would look a lot better with Kremer and Irvin fighting over the last spot. Doesn’t even have to be an ace.

Id say a real good set up guy for the 7th would be nice too. 

Someone to basically be O’Hearn when O’Hearn inevitably turns back into a pumpkin would be cool too. 

We need all of those things. 

I would say:

1 SP

2 Set up help

3 Middle Relief

4 MOO

The good news is we may have all of that in time already. 

I don’t think an Ace or TOR is going to be available at the break but there may be SP help. It will not come cheap. We also could get that help internally but I’d love to add if cost isn’t prohibitive. 

I think our best chance to add at the deadline is bullpen help. 

I think we have a chance to find a bat internally but we could use one at the deadline if available. 

Its going to be interesting to see how well the Os play and whether or not Elias is ready to deal or graduate folks from the farm  

• Upvote 1

I think the current rotation is fine. But I dont think everyone can finish the season in the rotation and the innings that they will have thrown will all be more than ever in their career except Gibby. 

Btw, Kremer has a 3.5 ERA since May 1. If that is your no.4 or 5 guy, the rotation is okay. 

I would love to add a nails bullpen guy. And if we somehow could pry Goldschmidt from the Cards, Id really like our lineup a lot better. 

• Upvote 2

Goldschmidt would make a really nice rental but the problem is the expense he will cost to acquire him. You're giving up long term top talent for just 2 months of service. Maybe 1 year at best if you're able to keep him. I don't see him this productive for much longer at his age. It's not worth shrinking our window of opportunity by giving up top prospects unless they are players the front office just has no room for in their long term plans. 

Somehow it seems most fans on here say we need a Top of the rotation starter, A middle of the order  hitter, sold middle reliever, and a back end of the pen reliever.   Can you imagine our record if we had all those pieces.  We would be like 60-8.  This team can matchup with pretty much every team in baseball and we could win a playoff series against any of them.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I think it's possible that we might have a guy already within the organization who might be that guy. There's a good number of talented relievers in the organization. Cano was one of them to start the season and look how good he's been. 

Cano has given up 19 hits in the last 12.4 IP he's pitched with only 9 Ks in that time.  I'm pretty sure the league has  started to figure him out. Even more of a reason for a bullpen arm to be the #1 priority.  And I don't think we have answer internally...at least not for this season. 

11 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Cano has given up 19 hits in the last 12.4 IP he's pitched with only 9 Ks in that time.  I'm pretty sure the league has  started to figure him out. Even more of a reason for a bullpen arm to be the #1 priority.  And I don't think we have answer internally...at least not for this season. 

Yikes. He really is getting hit hard. Looked like today he was trying to incorporate more sliders but that pitch just doesn't have great movement for him. He also needs to locate east and west better. 

36 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Goldschmidt would make a really nice rental but the problem is the expense he will cost to acquire him. You're giving up long term top talent for just 2 months of service. Maybe 1 year at best if you're able to keep him. I don't see him this productive for much longer at his age. It's not worth shrinking our window of opportunity by giving up top prospects unless they are players the front office just has no room for in their long term plans. 

Goldschmidt is signed through next season.   He'd be getting 26M + potential bonuses.

11 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It's funny. This message board is the only place I ever see people use that phrase.

I’ve learn lots of little phrases here that might only exist in this tiny nook of the internet. “Turning back into a pumpkin” is pretty popular, though I guess I’ve only heard it used in relation to baseball here.

12 hours ago, owknows said:

I think we have what we need in the organization already.

We need to trade some players to free up space... not to add more logjam fodder.

We should be trading middling MLB players for A Ball prospects.

So I'll bite. If we have what we need, who are the SPs and RPs (in our organization) that will be ready to bolster our pitching staff this season. I'm not talking long term, I'm talking right now.