Does Aaron Hicks have any trade value?

MurphDogg

Why trade with the dodgers? The  Machado trade was a winner, at least Kramer is doing something.

And are the Orioles ready to make noise in the playoffs? When Holiday is up, that’s when you make moves. Assuming Kresdad and Mayo are up too. I hope they hang on to the 3 and Rodriguez. 

5 minutes ago, Grady said:

Why trade with the dodgers? The  Machado trade was a winner, at least Kramer is doing something.

And are the Orioles ready to make noise in the playoffs? When Holiday is up, that’s when you make moves. Assuming Kresdad and Mayo are up too. I hope they hang on to the 3 and Rodriguez. 

If you're in the playoffs, then you're ready to make noise. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hicks is the perfect 4th OF for this team. Why would we trade him?  .849 OPS for us in 108 PA. Switch hitter. Plays all three OF spots. Works the count. 22 SO 16 BB. 

I thought people only didn’t like Hicks because he was taking PT from Cowser?  Well, that’s not the case. 

Of course, Hicks has trade value, but he fits us so well. He has more value than Mancini did last year.  That’s for sure. 

Hicks should be a good fit as a 4th OF, my only concern would be if he starts griping over PT.

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hicks is the perfect 4th OF for this team. Why would we trade him?  .849 OPS for us in 108 PA. Switch hitter. Plays all three OF spots. Works the count. 22 SO 16 BB. 

I thought people only didn’t like Hicks because he was taking PT from Cowser?  Well, that’s not the case. 

Of course, Hicks has trade value, but he fits us so well. He has more value than Mancini did last year.  That’s for sure. 

His being a switch-hitter makes him more valuable than McKenna to the team right now. The O's can overload left-handed hitters if/when they want, which can include Hicks. He obviously can also be included in a right-handed heavy lineup against a lefty pitcher. He and Ant being switch-hitters offer the team a lot of flexibility with the lineup.

I was not in favor of jazzed by the move to bring in Hicks as I was frustrated that Cowser had not been promoted prior to his IL stint with the quad but Hicks has played really well for the O's. I see no reason to move him when he can get consistent ABs with the current roster construction by filling in at each spot in the OF and even DHing (though I thought last night was somewhat peculiar with Ant playing right with Hicks at DH). 

Going forward the PT mix with Hicks and Cowser should be better (and more importantly the players will likely produce more) than with McKenna and the Vavras and Stowerses of the world. Barring another injury, I don't how McKenna provides much value to the current team. He has been passed in the pecking order. 

Patience. Let's see how this month plays out and who does and who doesn't. Hicks is a good -not-great story and I really appreciate what he has brought so far (especially loved the home run the other night) but he may or may not be needed down the streach. Certainly not next year I hope. But, he's a veteran temp with play-off experience on a minimal contract. So, in my opinion, any way this plays out is to our advantage.

Yes, I think patience is needed here. We have the All Star Break coming up, you will want to see who is healthy and productive in a couple weeks. I do think it is a question whether Hicks can be productive for us if he is in a fourth outfielder role and not getting regular playing time. McKenna was able to handle that role reasonably well. But, a single injury can change the whole dynamic, and I really don't think the front office wants to bring up Kjerstad in that situation. 

I'd rather trade Santander and keep Hicks as the 4th OF. Santander's value will never be higher, and we could swing back much needed pitching help. If we truly believe in Cowser as  a full time starter right now, this is the move to make. He's at an 809 OPS this year and isn't the defender Cowser is. Even if Cowser settles at like say 725OPS this year, the defense and speed offsets some of the difference and still gets up help at other areas. 

7 hours ago, interloper said:

It's funny - as soon as Hicks had to play in Yankee Stadium again, his patience at the plate went out the window. Looked super jumpy, lot of first pitch fly outs, etc. 

I give him another series or two, but then I'm thinking about moving on. 

I wouldn’t judge Hicks by his return to New York. He was surely pressing and trying to prove something. Patient or not, he did hit a homer (which had to feel great) and a drive to the wall in right center which required a really good catch. I suspect he might be more patient again once he leaves town. 

4 hours ago, G54377 said:

I'd rather trade Santander and keep Hicks as the 4th OF. Santander's value will never be higher, and we could swing back much needed pitching help. If we truly believe in Cowser as  a full time starter right now, this is the move to make. He's at an 809 OPS this year and isn't the defender Cowser is. Even if Cowser settles at like say 725OPS this year, the defense and speed offsets some of the difference and still gets up help at other areas. 

I was thinking the same thing.  It would suck to trade Santander but he has real value -- could bring back at least a nice MLB ready bullpen arm and maybe a starting pitcher prospect (or something like that).  Or maybe he could bring back more than that.

8 hours ago, banks703 said:

His being a switch-hitter makes him more valuable than McKenna to the team right now. The O's can overload left-handed hitters if/when they want, which can include Hicks. He obviously can also be included in a right-handed heavy lineup against a lefty pitcher. He and Ant being switch-hitters offer the team a lot of flexibility with the lineup.

I was not in favor of jazzed by the move to bring in Hicks as I was frustrated that Cowser had not been promoted prior to his IL stint with the quad but Hicks has played really well for the O's. I see no reason to move him when he can get consistent ABs with the current roster construction by filling in at each spot in the OF and even DHing (though I thought last night was somewhat peculiar with Ant playing right with Hicks at DH). 

Going forward the PT mix with Hicks and Cowser should be better (and more importantly the players will likely produce more) than with McKenna and the Vavras and Stowerses of the world. Barring another injury, I don't how McKenna provides much value to the current team. He has been passed in the pecking order. 

McKenna is out of options for next year. I can see Elias dealing him this offseason. We need optionable players for the bench. Just like the pen. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

McKenna is out of options for next year. I can see Elias dealing him this offseason. We need optionable players for the bench. Just like the pen. 

I wonder what the market is for. Ryan McKenna. He really doesn’t have a place on the current roster and I don’t see that changing next year even if Hicks isn’t retained. Perhaps if someone else is dealt but as young and talented as they are right now I would like to think that they can do better than McKenna for their 4th/5th outfielder roster spot. 

Seeing how much they value versatility it won’t shock me to see a guy like Westburg exposed to the outfield at the major league level. They were giving him run in Norfolk prior to his promotion. He’s probably not as good as McKenna but given the choice of JW or McKenna in the outfield, I’m taking JW and his hit tool. 

15 hours ago, 7Mo said:

I noticed an interview a few days ago when he was asked the difference in his play from NY to the O's, he repeated playing time several times.

I question if he won't encourage a trade when he's not in the lineup everyday. That may not mean much, but Hicks being traded this month is very much in play, IMO.

I noticed that too. If Hicks isn't going to play every day, there is a high probability that he will check out of baseball mentally just like he did playing for the Yankees.

The only way he's productive is by playing. He's not a player that can be called off the bench in specific situations on occasions like McKenna was. Mckenna showed with his game winning home run how he's an OK reserve to have on the bench if there isn't enough playing time for everybody.

With Hicks, I don't think you get that. I think he becomes discontent and resentful and that would translate to his play on the field.