Our Best "Touchable" Trade Bait is.........

Sanity Check

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No doubt….I just don’t expect Elias to be in on the rentals. I think he will look for guys that have some control. I think the rotation is fine just get some bullpen help. 

I’d love for us to bring Jorge Lopez back if Minnesota is looking to get rid of his salary. David Robertson is going to cost a lot and Jordan Hicks has a 1.5 WHIP. If Lopez works out, he’d be a cheap reliever for next year as well. 

15 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't see how one can deduce that Cole Irvin has ANY trade value. He's not very good IMO. Even in the starts that he does decently it's more about luck than him being good. He gives up a ton of baserunners in pretty much ALL of his starts. Heck, I wish that we could get him off of our team.

The same applies for Mateo and Frazier and Hall to some degree IMO.

Mateo can't hit, people/posters keep arguing that he can be a pinch runner/defensive replacement. But here's the thing - Rarely do teams ever replace their starting SS for a defensive replacement because the SS is usually the best defender on the team. When we have started Gunnar at SS, not one time have we needed to take him off of SS late in the game to replace him with Mateo. Even if somehow a team envisioned him in that role, that would not be a player to trade for. You would typically try to pick up that type of player on waivers. He simply doesn't have any kind of/enough value to draw trade interest.

Adam Frazier is overpaid and his production/capabilities do not match his salary. Also, he has not upside, so again, why would another team want him? 

And then when it comes to DL Hall, he has lost MAJOR velo this year, has never dominated AAA, will be 25 this September, still has control issues/walking way too many batters, cannot get deep into games at the Minor League level, has been sent down to the Rookie level to figure things out, AND ON TOP OF ALL OF THAT, he is off of most top 100 lists. I think if I know these things about him and am able to identify all of these red flags, other teams with professionals in their front office can do the same. I don't know why anyone would want him and even if they did you would literally be giving him away and selling at his absolute lowest value. (Which is little to none right now.)

You think there’s ZERO value in Irvin, Frazier and Mateo? I say you’re wrong, though you have to eat salary for Frazier.

They're each minimally valuable, but we could get something more than just a DFA. 

I know they are not bringing back answers to this year’s team directly, but they might bring some 17 y.o. who can then be packaged in another deal, or allow somebody else to be.

But sure, nobody is saying you get some lockdown reliever directly for them. You have to think bigger picture.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

You think there’s ZERO value in Irvin, Frazier and Mateo? I say you’re wrong, though you have to eat salary for Frazier.

They're each minimally valuable, but we could get something more than just a DFA. 

I know they are not bringing back answers to this year’s team directly, but they might bring some 17 y.o. who can then be packaged in another deal, or allow somebody else to be.

But sure, nobody is saying you get some lockdown reliever directly for them. You have to think bigger picture.

I think someone will see value in Mateo. I don’t expect him to be worth a lot but he is a solid SS and when he’s hot it’s hot.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

IMO the big picture is that the O’s will need an impact starter this year or any other in the near future in order to give themselves good odds of being ahead of their competitors in the AL when it comes to the playoffs (given we have only ONE SINGULAR pitcher in the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION that fits that type of talent profile).

Of all those players that you are hoping to get some sort of redeeming value/scraps from, none of those things will do anything to contribute to the “big picture”.

My “big picture” is how can the O’s get through 3 rounds of the American League playoffs (2 if they win the division) and how can they then win the World Series. That goes for this year and any year in the immediate future (next 5 years or so).

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I don’t know who wants to hear it but Basallo or Mayo are our highest end touchable prospects.  They both are in positions where we have other guys slotted.  They also both potentially have big upsides which will be intriguing to teams wanting to trade for them.  I don’t want to trade eoether of them, but for a true #1 I would be willing to consider parting with one of them.  

Everybody except Holliday would be available for a true #1, but no #1 is available. However Mayo is in a different position than Basallo - nobody seems to think Mayo can stick at 3B, and even if he could we could still use him there with Gunnar at SS and Westburg at 2B (and potentially trade Westburg/Ortiz instead of Mayo when Holliday arrives). More likely Mayo and Kjerstad end up as RF/1B/DH, but in any case Mayo is not blocked. His upside is higher than every other IF prospect beyond Gunnar and Holliday. 

Basallo however will not be a starting C on the Orioles unless we trade Adley, which isn’t going to happen. He also seems to have a decent shot at sticking at C. He’s blocked unless he has to move to 1B/DH, but we’re better off trading him when it still looks like he could stick at C. 

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think someone will see value in Mateo. I don’t expect him to be worth a lot but he is a solid SS and when he’s hot it’s hot.

The problem is that he hasn’t been “hot” or even a Major League caliber hitter since April, and we are know almost getting to mid July.

I don’t see any contender being willing to play him regularly because he is basically almost an automatic out. While his sopped would be an asset to any team, I’m not sure how his defense helps. Rarely do teams use defensive replacements at the position of SS. The position is of such importance that usually you have to play your best defender there to begin with. We have not used him as a defensive replacement at all since he has been removed from the starting lineup.

2 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Everybody except Holliday would be available for a true #1, but no #1 is available. However Mayo is in a different position than Basallo - nobody seems to think Mayo can stick at 3B, and even if he could we could still use him there with Gunnar at SS and Westburg at 2B (and potentially trade Westburg/Ortiz instead of Mayo when Holliday arrives). More likely Mayo and Kjerstad end up as RF/1B/DH, but in any case Mayo is not blocked. His upside is higher than every other IF prospect beyond Gunnar and Holliday. 

Basallo however will not be a starting C on the Orioles unless we trade Adley, which isn’t going to happen. He also seems to have a decent shot at sticking at C. He’s blocked unless he has to move to 1B/DH, but we’re better off trading him when it still looks like he could stick at C. 

I think you’re spot on wrt Mayo.  

I’d be reluctant to trade Basallo though - there is always going to be two (he’ll with this team maybe more) catchers on the roster. Having someone who is not a black hole at backup catcher gives the team a lot of flexibility and may lengthen Adley’s career.  His leadership is nearly as important as his skills on the field. Need to keep him healthy and around as long as possible.

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Basallo is 18 and nowhere near MLB. Do you really expect this team to extend Adley? If not, they’re gonna be looking to trade him by the time Basallo is ready for MLB. There can be some overlap in their times here. There is always 1B/DH as additional options for both players. Catchers are hard to come by. I wouldn’t be trading a potential good one when his career in Baltimore likely won’t overlap with anyone else. 

22 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Oh, and I left out Norby, for a team needing a potentially high upside bat for the future.

I should also add that I really like Joey Ortiz, but his redundancy is what makes me think he's likely the "touchable" one. 

I feel like a package of Ortiz, Norby, and Baumler/McDermott would be an ideal combo for a TOR guy that gives up some decent value, but nothing that hurts us. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

IMO the big picture is that the O’s will need an impact starter this year or any other in the near future in order to give themselves good odds of being ahead of their competitors in the AL when it comes to the playoffs (given we have only ONE SINGULAR pitcher in the ENTIRE ORGANIZATION that fits that type of talent profile).

Of all those players that you are hoping to get some sort of redeeming value/scraps from, none of those things will do anything to contribute to the “big picture”.

My “big picture” is how can the O’s get through 3 rounds of the American League playoffs (2 if they win the division) and how can they then win the World Series. That goes for this year and any year in the immediate future (next 5 years or so).

Wells and Bradish are both having #2 SP type years. Who is this clear cut #1 that is available?  Cease and Keller?  Who even knows if they are. The trade market looks like Giolito, Stroman, Montgomery, Ed Rod. All of those guys are #2/#3 types. 

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Basallo is 18 and nowhere near MLB. Do you really expect this team to extend Adley? If not, they’re gonna be looking to trade him by the time Basallo is ready for MLB. There can be some overlap in their times here. There is always 1B/DH as additional options for both players. Catchers are hard to come by. I wouldn’t be trading a potential good one when his career in Baltimore likely won’t overlap with anyone else. 

Basallo the catcher is 2-3 years away.  Basallo the bat could be a year away. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

18 hours ago, gretzkyscores said:

I would consider trading Cano for 2 quality middle relievers if possible. Use the all-star status to bring return

I expect to get flamed for this suggestion ....

I don’t particularly favor this, but I do think Cano is more good than great.  In his last 20 appearances dating to mid-May, he has a 3.00 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 5.6 K/9, 2.2 K/BB.   That’s pretty so-so.   He’s getting a lot more pitches into the belt-to-thighs area in that time, as opposed to living at the knees like he was.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pdiddy said:

I think you’re spot on wrt Mayo.  

I’d be reluctant to trade Basallo though - there is always going to be two (he’ll with this team maybe more) catchers on the roster. Having someone who is not a black hole at backup catcher gives the team a lot of flexibility and may lengthen Adley’s career.  His leadership is nearly as important as his skills on the field. Need to keep him healthy and around as long as possible.

Was listening to Bruce on 105.7 and I believe it was with Meoli. He said the untouchables are Holiday, Kjerstad, and Gonzalez.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Wells and Bradish are both having #2 SP type years. Who is this clear cut #1 that is available?  Cease and Keller?  Who even knows if they are. The trade market looks like Giolito, Stroman, Montgomery, Ed Rod. All of those guys are #2/#3 types. 

I think Kremer is right there as well after a slow start 

53 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Was listening to Bruce on 105.7 and I believe it was with Meoli. He said the untouchables are Holiday, Kjerstad, and Gonzalez.

Is Gonzalez also known as Grayson Rodriguez?

• Haha 1