All Star Game Comments

Frobby

This was the first time in years that I actually watched the All Star Game almost start to finish, including the player introductions.   Putting four Orioles in the game will do that.  

I liked the way they did the player introductions with the reserve players from the same team running out together.  Having them run through a line of kids was fun, but it was a bit awkward watching the single players trying to slap hands with kids on both sides.  I enjoyed watching the one kid run the bases in front of the crowd.  What a thrill for that kid.  

As to the game, I pretty much hate the announcers having conversations with mic’ed up players during the game action.  First of all, the conversations are almost necessarily inane, since the players have to be watching the game action.  Second, they get so busy with these conversations that the players who are actually doing something in the game get largely ignored.   Did Austin Hays even play in this game?   The first time he was up, the announcers were engrossed in a conversation with Corbin Carroll and never even mentioned Hays’ name until his at bat was over.   The second time, they were interviewing Luis Arraez in the dugout while Hays fisted a single into LCF, and they never even mentioned it.  Anyone watching who didn’t know anything about Hays going into the game, still doesn’t know anything about him.  And I could say the same thing about half the players in the game.  

As to the game, the way it started, with Garcia and Arozarena both making great catches at the wall, was fantastic.   There were several great defensive plays in the game, including two by Austin Riley, one charging a swinging bunt and another making a diving catch of a liner and then doubling up a runner at first with a throw from his knees.   

As to the Orioles in the game, Austin Hays held his own, grounding out and fisting a single.   Yennier Cano, I thought, looked the best he’s looked on the mound in weeks.  He struck out the first two guys on a series of nasty pitches, then induced a routine chopper to Vlad Jr. who made a comically bad lob over Cano’s head to extend the inning.  The next hitter grounded a single to RF and then Cano induced a chopper to 2B to end the threat.   Cano was ahead in the count to pretty much every hitter and everything he threw was at the knees.  

Adley Rutschman didn’t have a great day behind the plate.   He grabbed a swinging bunt and threw a one hopper that handcuffed Vlad Jr. (who isn’t exactly Keith Hernandez with the glove). He also let a high pitch from Felix Bautista tip off his glove for a wild pitch.   The scoring was correct but it’s a pitch Adley usually corrals.  At bat, Adley hit a sharp liner but it was right at the RF for a routine catch.

As to Bautista, the game was pretty much a disaster.   He was clearly nervous and didn’t have good command, walking two hitters, getting behind almost everyone he faced, throwing the wild pitch and a couple of other very errant pitches, and coughing up the game losing 2-run homer on a splitter that stayed a little too far up.  He eventually was pulled after throwing 28 pitches in the inning.   

Overall, I understand the announcers are trying to make this game feel a little different, but all the in-game chatter about things other than the players and game directly in front of them detract from the game in my opinion.  If Joe Blow has come in to pitch and is facing John Smith, I want to know what Blow and Smith did to get themselves into the all star game.  I don’t need an entire half inning of announcers going on and on about Ohtani, who batted the previous inning and did nothing remarkable.  And I definitely don’t need them chewing the fat with Ortiz, Rodriguez and Jeter and spending minutes on some story about how Ortiz dropped a chain down a sewer grate in London.  

Overall, it was a disappointing night for Bautista, and I wasn’t a fan of how Fox handled the broadcast.   But I did enjoy the game anyway, and you could tell that the players enjoyed it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Ortiz, ARod, and Jeter are worthless on the mic for color commentary. Their personalities are too bland and they barely attempt any analysis of the players’ performances. In the studio round table format they’re passable but on the live broadcast it’s a soulless group.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Ortiz, ARod, and Jeter are worthless on the mic for color commentary. Their personalities are too bland and they barely attempt any analysis of the players’ performances. In the studio round table format they’re passable but on the live broadcast it’s a soulless group.  

I didn't watch the game but that's pretty much the worst group of color guys they could possibly pick. Does the entire world revolve around NYY/BOS in the 90s? 

38 minutes ago, vab said:

Bautista was due for a bad one and he had the foresight to get it out of the way in a game that didn't count for the Orioles except for costing us home field advantage when we get to the WS 😉

As a reminder, the team with the best regular-season winning percentage, regardless of postseason seeding, will host the World Series. That change was implemented back in 2017 following a run (2003-16) of home-field advantage going to the league that won the All-Star Game.

Prior to 2003, home-field advantage alternated between the AL and NL champions yearly. The 2020 World Series between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Tampa Bay Rays was played at a neutral site (Globe Life Field, home of the Texans Rangers) due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

As was the case last season, the best remaining team in terms of record will kick off the World Series at home.

• Upvote 1

I didn't like the player interviews during the game at first, but I think it gives you some insight into how a player is wired.  Josh Hader didn't give it any mind, and was literally talking during his actual pitch.  That's ballsy.  It also shows that these guys aren't so sensitive.  

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. definitely is not the fielder that his namesake was. Sr could gun down a baserunner from right field. 

There is probably good side by side video fun to be had with some iconic Vlad, Sr. highlight and the Cano lob.

Vlad is like Adley in that the talent is so special the question is more does the 7-win guy or the 3-win guy show up?   '21 Vlad is starting to look a little outlier-ish.     Adley's 2nd year pullback is gentler.

At the '23 All-Star break, Adley's WAR/162 is clinging to 6.0; Vlad now at 3.9.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Too Tall said:

Didn't watch it. Glad I didn't watch it and the above confirms my decision. Can't remember the last time I watched any all-star game. Like watching bad commercials. I know players need a break but I hate this week.

Bonus: All of the above in-game stuff, PLUS nonstop bad commercials!

Watched start to finish first time in YEARS. Agree w/ most everything OP had to say.

I REALLY miss Joe Buck on FOX MLB. It's still puzzling why he left to exclusively do football for ESPN given his love of baseball and his pedigree. Guess he wanted to cut back on his schedule or something.

As for Bautista, it was a disaster. Good thing is it was an exhibition game and it'll be forgotten by Friday. Hopefully, he gets the nerves and yipps under control in time for the playoffs.

I didn't think Adley was as bad as some are saying. The swinging bunt was an awkward play and Vlad is a terrible 1Bman.

Overall, I thought the Orioles represented decently and this will be first of many AS games for this core to come.