What is your realistic best case trade deadline outcome?

Sports Guy

Honestly, the returns may not be as important to me than just removing Frazier or Mateo to eliminate the back of the mind potential yo,-yoing of better players. 

I can't even pretend to speculate on who will be available and what the prospect cost will be. I think they need a reliable starter and another BP arm. However they get there I have no clue.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are giving up a ton in these trades.

I hate to tell you, but people aren't going to trade you really good players for a bunch of 40s and leftover pieces. Adding that much talent increases your chance to win this year significantly and it does nothing to mortgage the future. 

Just now, Tryptamine said:

I hate to tell you, but people aren't going to trade you really good players for a bunch of 40s and leftover pieces. Adding that much talent increases your chance to win this year significantly and it does nothing to mortgage the future. 

It would be shocking if the Cubs got a package that good for Stroman.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It would be shocking if the Cubs got a package that good for Stroman.

What did you think the best, outside of Ohtani, pitcher available on the market would go for, especially when the Cubs will definitely be eating his contract to increase the prospect return?

24 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

What did you think the best, outside of Ohtani, pitcher available on the market would go for, especially when the Cubs will definitely be eating his contract to increase the prospect return?

He’s a rental and i doubt they eat any of the contract.

Getting a top 70 prospect and another high upside guy just isn’t likely for 2 months of a guy.

Edited by Sports Guy

A shutdown bullpen that will get us to Cano/Bautista, i.e. the middle.  I do not want a starter rental unless it is cheap in prospect cost.  A real game-changing starter that can get us close to Cano/Bautista may be a different story as is controllable

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Best case.  Trade for Eduardo Rodriguez without giving a top 8 prospect and getting another strong setup guy, preferably a LHP with also not giving up a top 8 prospect.

I'm on board with this.  Snell and Hader (both 2-month rentals) who the Padres are looking to dump to save $30M in pro-rata salary and get a modest prospect return.  Given the limited term I think they should come fairly cheap.  Perhaps Norby and some 2 of Hall, Rhodes, and Bencosme nets both.  That's a lot of young talent to give up, but it would satisfy a need for LHP the Orioles have and provide a temporary adaptation to OPACY needs.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I doubt it would really matter though, that’s my point. He’s performing well, so they won’t have to eat money.

Of course they don't have to, but sellers often offer to eat the remaining cost in order to increase the return. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As someone who wants to sign Snell in the offseason, adding him now would be nice.

Snell/Hader is my favorite package deal. 

Irrelevant to want you want but I honestly don’t think SD moves them. I think they are in to try to make playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Of course they don't have to, but sellers often offer to eat the remaining cost in order to increase the return. 

Of course the Cubs would want to maximize their prospect return.  I have to say that if any team was willing to give up the kind of value you propose, though, that Stroman would already be gone.  I don't think the Cubs would end the call without accepting the offer.  I just really think that it is just more than any team will pay for a rental.  Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.