The Loop could be closing..

bigbird

Guthrie is a Lock

Uehara is a Lock (He signed here over other places to be a starter I'm sure he has assurances)

Hill is a lock (to start the season in the 3rd/4th slot & will have to pitch horrible over a long stretch to lose his spot)

4 & 5 are wide open unless they get Looper or Wolfe. Then the 5 slot will belong to one of the big pile of mostly mediocre guys. Imo if they dont sign another pitcher Albers would be the 4th guy provided he is healthy as reported. Any of the guys discussed over & over that have options will go to the minors. Because at some point Albers most likely will breakdown.

But the only real lock is Guthrie. Uehara is an unknown and I believe is in decline. Some other Japanese pitchers have very much failed in the transition to MLB. Rich Hill can't get through Winter League ball without walking more than a batter per innings. Guthrie is really the only known quantity. Please note, I'm not saying Uehara/Hill will fail, only that how they'll do is pretty up in the air.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rox are out.

So by my "calculations" that leaves the Dodgers, Pirates, and a possible shadow team. Looper wants to stay in the NL and if the Dodgers sign Wolf, and lets say the Pirates do not want Looper, or just can't get him, do you think Looper's head will want to play here? I am now on the fence about him, while previously being all for him. I am starting to think we could get his production outta one of our young arms. I think there is a possibilty that he lands in the NL with a team we haven't heard of having interest in him. But, then again, Andy has been a king lately so I guess I don't know.

If the offseason ended in a BRob extension and a trade with our utility/OF/DH logjam and no Looper signing....I'd be content.

We also have shown interest in Wolf.

From Schmuck :

The Orioles, meanwhile, appear to have completed their offseason reconstruction. Left-hander John Parrish probably will be the last addition to the roster until they break out the bats and balls on Feb. 15. The O's made a real run at free agent Braden Looper and, by some accounts, put the highest offer on the table (if it's still there), but he has made it clear that he wants to sign with a National League team.

From Schmuck :The Orioles, meanwhile, appear to have completed their offseason reconstruction. Left-hander John Parrish probably will be the last addition to the roster until they break out the bats and balls on Feb. 15. The O's made a real run at free agent Braden Looper and, by some accounts, put the highest offer on the table (if it's still there), but he has made it clear that he wants to sign with a National League team.

This is exactly what you want the pitchers without a job to think.

Hill is a lock (to start the season in the 3rd/4th slot & will have to pitch horrible over a long stretch to lose his spot)

I do not know why Hill is a lock.

Hill has a nice upside, but he has been incredibly wild for a year. If he continues with the wildness, I would expect him to be cut or hidden in the bp as we work with him on issues.

I do not know why Hill is a lock.

Hill has a nice upside, but he has been incredibly wild for a year. If he continues with the wildness, I would expect him to be cut or hidden in the bp as we work with him on issues.

In Hill I see AM doing his best to make sure there is another Daniel Cabrera in the rotation, only this guy has the potential to be even wilder!:laughlol:

It really is kind of sad to see your team having to pin its hopes on retreads and failures from other teams. The Nationals are doing the same thing as well! Can you imagine how fans of really competitive teams would be screaming if say the Yankees or Boston started banking their season on retreads/discards from other teams? There would be public riots!

Here it is not only acceptable but actually thought of in a optimistic fashion. The expectations of the Orioles by their fans have to arguably now be at an all-time low when you see this sort of thing being viewed as not only acceptable but good! I mean c'mon, John Parrish again?:rolleyestf: Next thing you know we be hearing AM has signed Josh Towers!:(

Archived