The Loop could be closing..

bigbird

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Hill I see AM doing his best to make sure there is another Daniel Cabrera in the rotation, only this guy has the potential to be even wilder!:laughlol:

It really is kind of sad to see your team having to pin its hopes on retreads and failures from other teams. The Nationals are doing the same thing as well! Can you imagine how fans of really competitive teams would be screaming if say the Yankees or Boston started banking their season on retreads/discards from other teams? There would be public riots!

Here it is not only acceptable but actually thought of in a optimistic fashion. The expectations of the Orioles by their fans have to arguably now be at an all-time low when you see this sort of thing being viewed as not only acceptable but good! I mean c'mon, John Parrish again?:rolleyestf: Next thing you know we be hearing AM has signed Josh Towers!:(

You do realize Boston does it on a fairly consistent basis, right? They sign a pitcher who's low risk, high reward pretty much every year.

You do realize Boston does it on a fairly consistent basis, right? They sign a pitcher who's low risk, high reward pretty much every year.

I'd like to present Colon, Bartolo and Penny, Brad as state exhibits A and B. And that's off of the top of my head for the last two years. I distinctly remember them signing guys like that and Wade Miller quite a bit over the years. They jump all over those guys and throw a bunch of them against the wall in hopes that they stick.

Obviously, Boston's in a better position than we are, in general. But there's no public outcry about them signing iffy guys in hopes that they'll return to form, or in some cases find it at all. It's an intelligent way to find talent. We used to get raked over the coals for not doing that very thing.

If Sheets didn't cost a draft pick, I'd be willing to bet that Boston jumped all over him, if news of him needing surgery is true. That's the kind of move that they make that often works out for them.

Question? Does anyone know if we are looking at a trade for a pitcher. If, per Belkast we are offering something like 2/10 (5 mil per yr) for Looper, could one one these trades work?

Walker for Doug Davis

Walker for J Washburn

Baez & Walker for Kevin Millwood

All 3 of these teams are looking for money relief and we are staying at ruffly the 5 mil per year amt. Texas may have to add a prospect or two.

Both Davis and Washburn are signed for 1 year and Millwood 1 yr with a vested option if he pitches 180 inns.

Originally Posted by CalForPresident

Bring on Looper I think we need him and now if we just had a true number 1 starter. Also I agree 100% you can never have too much pitching.

We do. Guts

Guthrie would be a #2 on many teams and a #3 on some. If you want to say he is our #1, great, but when he qualified that by saying a "True" #1, Guthrie is not that, yet.

Guthrie would be a #2 on many teams and a #3 on some. If you want to say he is our #1, great, but when he qualified that by saying a "True" #1, Guthrie is not that, yet.

Nor will he ever be. Guthrie has pretty much maxed out his potential at this point in his career. He might have an amazing year down the line, but he won't consistently be a true #1 starter.

Archived