Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

The option on Rodriguez is a huge bargain. It would take a catastrophic injury like one requiring TJS for him to even consider it. 

Ed Rod is probably the best SP option available. So it will cost prospects and risk. And we have to outbid the LAD and HOU. 

After Ed Rod, you’re looking at pitchers that wouldn’t even start a playoff game for us. Flaherty and Lorenzen. What would we even give up for them?  Tyler Wells is still an option. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ed Rod is probably the best SP option available. So it will cost prospects and risk. And we have to outbid the LAD and HOU. 

After Ed Rod, you’re looking at pitchers that wouldn’t even start a playoff game for us. Flaherty and Lorenzen. What would we even give up for them?  Tyler Wells is still an option. 

I won't be excited for Lorenzen but I'll be fine if he's all we get.

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

The option on Rodriguez is a huge bargain. It would take a catastrophic injury like one requiring TJS for him to even consider it. 

Yes, and that is the problem.  The option is pure downside.  You're either getting a rental only or you're saddled with a bad contract on an injured player.  Rodriguez is the guy I want, but I can see that option as being an issue for the Orioles.

Here’s what we need ,

Just a SP to give us 8-10 starts down the stretch, but that isn’t a Postseason option. Only Ed Rod would start in the playoffs for us. Flaherty is the best fit.

Bradish, Grayson, Kremer, Gibson, Flaherty 

A RP to that can ease the set up burden off of Cano for the home stretch to freshen him up for the playoffs. Someone like Adam Ottavino. 

Bautista, Cano, Ottavino, Coloumbe 

Baker, Fuji, Baumann, Perez

Baker or Baumann gets optioned if/when we need a fresh arm before 9/1. 

Tyler Wells comes back either as a SP or a RP. Look for that on 9/1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not sure I agree with this.  By the numbers, Lorenzen has been better than Kremer and Gibson this year.  Flaherty has been comparable to those two.  

Before Wells struggles, I was of the opinion that it wasn't worth adding a mid-back rotation type, given our present options.  Now, I think we just need someone to eat innings if we can't get a real difference maker. 

Edited by ChuckS

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s what we need ,

Just a SP to give us 8-10 starts down the stretch, but that isn’t a Postseason option. Only Ed Rod would start in the playoffs for us. Flaherty is the best fit.

A RP to that can ease the set up burden off of Cano for the home stretch to freshen him up for the playoffs. Someone like Adam Ottavino. 

Yeah I wouldn't hate something like this. The bullpen arm is doing the heavy lifting here and that's fine. 

If you want insight on the trade deadline, go back and look at the FA SP from last year. Who would we be happy with right now?

Eovaldi - likely TJS

Bassit - he’s having a down year

Wacha - which one of our SP would he start over in the playoffs?  Who would he have started over this regular season?

Every other FA SP was some form of a train wreck. Gibson might be having the best season of any FA SP. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s what we need ,

You are quite optimistic that Wells and Cano regain their first-half form. I see no evidence to be that optimistic. The Orioles would do well to have plan B.

3 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Not sure I agree with this.  By the numbers, Lorenzen has been better than Kremer and Gibson this year.  Flaherty has been comparable to those two.  

Before Wells struggles, I was of the opinion that it wasn't worth adding a mid-back rotation type, given our present options.  Now, I think we just need someone to eat innings if we can't get a real difference maker. 

Lorenzen isn’t a difference maker. Why should we trade value to eat innings when Irvin and Zimmerman can do that until Wells gets back?  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you want insight on the trade deadline, go back and look at the FA SP from last year. Who would we be happy with right now?

Eovaldi - likely TJS

Bassit - he’s having a down year

Wacha - which one of our SP would he start over in the playoffs?  Who would he have started over this regular season?

Every other FA SP was some form of a train wreck. Gibson might be having the best season of any FA SP. 

Not to mention Rodon as well...