Predict the SP ace Elias will acquire for the WS run!! :D :D

interloper

Predict the SP ace Elias will acquire for the WS run!! :D :D  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the SP ace Elias will acquire for the WS run!! :D :D

• Rich Hill (64 years old: ultimate veteran presence!!)
    • Jordan Lyles (just needs to work with Holt again and he'll be awesome!)
    • Carlos Carrasco (Buck's TTTP stuff probably messed him up)
    • Lance Lynn (INSANE K-RATE OMG)
    • Michael Lorenzen (actually, strikeouts are overrated!!)
    • Marcus Stroman (he obv just tanked his entire July so we could get him for way less!)

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure he would, but at what cost?

Do the Mets eat the money to get a better prospect? Or do they pivot to get back under the luxury tax? If the O's take his contract the cost could be pretty modest actually. Trade Simulator has him at negative value but that is because he is owed another $80M. 

13 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Do the Mets eat the money to get a better prospect? Or do they pivot to get back under the luxury tax? If the O's take his contract the cost could be pretty modest actually. Trade Simulator has him at negative value but that is because he is owed another $80M. 

I hear his wife is easy on the eyes.

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Wasn't what I meant.

What do you have to give Verlander to get him to waive his no trade clause?

57 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He’s not going to trade 4-5 prospects for a rental or give up his top 100 (including the fringe guys like Norby) 

Angelos isn’t adding payroll….I’d like to see Civale myself.

I think he will add one more reliever and possibly a bat.

I think you’re on the right track.  No deals that involve a lot of money or top prospects.  I’ll believe it when I see it.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

A bold approach. 

It's really not.

I don't think Elias is going to upgrade the starting pitching.  And I do believe that the starting pitching is really coming into their own over the past few weeks.  Is that a hot streak?  Maybe.  Maybe they're also not this good.  It's so hard to tell.

I think what frustrates this board is that there's no bonafide #1 household name that can strike fear into an opponent, much like the 2014 Tigers that had Verlander, Scherzer and Price.  And yet, we handled the Tigers in the playoffs.  

But I don't think the rotation is the achilles heel for this squad as currently constructed.  Even if someone goes down, the new and improved Swervin' Cole Irvin looks like he can step up and deliver.  I think there's a bit of depth here that we haven't quiet experienced in a long, long time.

Anyway, like I said, the rotation isn't the achilles heel, unless you're all like OMFG WE DON'T HAVE A GERRIT COLE TYPE OMMGGG HOW ARE WE GOING TO COMPETE?!?!? which, at times, seems to be a lot of you on here.  Cries about not having a #1 pitcher, the exalted TOR STARTER, have been rampant on here for years.  

Do we really need one?  Or do we need two more guys that can bridge to Bautista?

IMO, it's not even up for debate at this point, even though I just painted it as an either/or situation which it doesn't have to be.  But from where I'm sitting we need bullpen arms more than anything and we just watched a great one go off the market in Robertson, unfortunately.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's really not.

I don't think Elias is going to upgrade the starting pitching.  And I do believe that the starting pitching is really coming into their own over the past few weeks.  Is that a hot streak?  Maybe.  Maybe they're also not this good.  It's so hard to tell.

I think what frustrates this board is that there's no bonafide #1 household name that can strike fear into an opponent, much like the 2014 Tigers that had Verlander, Scherzer and Price.  And yet, we handled the Tigers in the playoffs.  

But I don't think the rotation is the achilles heel for this squad as currently constructed.  Even if someone goes down, the new and improved Swervin' Cole Irvin looks like he can step up and deliver.  I think there's a bit of depth here that we haven't quiet experienced in a long, long time.

Anyway, like I said, the rotation isn't the achilles heel, unless you're all like OMFG WE DON'T HAVE A GERRIT COLE TYPE OMMGGG HOW ARE WE GOING TO COMPETE?!?!? which, at times, seems to be a lot of you on here.  Cries about not having a #1 pitcher, the exalted TOR STARTER, have been rampant on here for years.  

Do we really need one?  Or do we need two more guys that can bridge to Bautista?

IMO, it's not even up for debate at this point, even though I just painted it as an either/or situation which it doesn't have to be.  But from where I'm sitting we need bullpen arms more than anything and we just watched a great one go off the market in Robertson, unfortunately.  

I agree bullpen over SP. 

Also - this was just a joke thread man lol. I will probably be in here defending whatever lame SP we acquire because I sort of agree that a) we're not going to get a TOR and b) we may not need one if we get a legit bullpen arm. I think I worry more that we won't get a stud setup man more than I worry we won't get a stud SP, ya know? 

Just now, interloper said:

I agree bullpen over SP. 

Also - this was just a joke thread man lol. I will probably be in here defending whatever lame SP we acquire because I sort of agree that a) we're not going to get a TOR and b) we may not need one if we get a legit bullpen arm. I think I worry more that we won't get a stud setup man more than I worry we won't get a stud SP, ya know? 

I don't want them to acquire a SP at the deadline unless it really is that TOR type.  And I don't know if any of those are on the market.

But right now we're at a point that I'm not sure if we can hold on to first place or even a WC spot if we don't shore up the bullpen.  I realize how much baseball is left and how silly that might sound but the bullpen is easily the biggest problem.  I'm right there with you, I'm way more worried about not getting great bullpen help, 100%.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

If Means is healthy and throwing well, I'd just put him in the setup role. 

I refuse to think about what Means will or will not provide the team. He's still a month away and the possibility exists that he's just unable to find his feel/command during his rehab appearances. Or he might be awesome. Assuming anything feels dangerous. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I refuse to think about what Means will or will not provide the team. He's still a month away and the possibility exists that he's just unable to find his feel/command during his rehab appearances. Or he might be awesome. Assuming anything feels dangerous. 

Hence the phrase "healthy and throwing well". 😉

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't want them to acquire a SP at the deadline unless it really is that TOR type.  And I don't know if any of those are on the market.

But right now we're at a point that I'm not sure if we can hold on to first place or even a WC spot if we don't shore up the bullpen.  I realize how much baseball is left and how silly that might sound but the bullpen is easily the biggest problem.  I'm right there with you, I'm way more worried about not getting great bullpen help, 100%.

Agreed, though if I had one quibble it would be that I have some concerns about Wells and Grayson from an innings perspective. Wells has looked gassed, so tomorrow's start will be something to keep an eye on after back-to-back bad starts. If he has to be rested or something, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Irvin taking his spot. It might be good to have someone like Lorenzen, even if he's super boring. Big caveat: as long as we don't give up a top 100 guy for him. 

• Upvote 1