Friday, July 28: Yankees come to town for the last time

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate being so negative about Cano, but we all knew he wasn’t gonna be the dude that started the season. I think we all hoped that the regression wouldn’t be so severe though. 

But his first-half success has him perpetually locked in for the 8th inning.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

He's literally never been good, we had a great 2 month run out of him, but we can't keep throwing him out there like he's John Wetteland setting up Rivera.

How can you say he's"never been good"? The man was an All Star...and had some terrific performances this year...plenty of them...

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At some point these guys need to do their jobs. Pretty sure that everyone in the park knew that if a runner got on, G-Rod was getting pulled. 

So then why send him out there? There are times when relievers need to rise to the occasion because the situation calls for it, but that wasn't one of them. Just be proactive and sit Grayson and put your reliever in a better position to succeed. Reasonable minds can disagree on this obviously.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It seems to me that none of us have a clue which of the coaches were successful and which were not. It's a young team that underperformed. Lots of moving parts that did not come together at a critical time. Whose fault is that? I honestly don't know.  Let's hope Hyde, Elias and the senior leadership have a plan for how to address it. My gut says the young guys are going to get better with more reps. That will make the coaches look like geniuses. Perhaps the influx of one or two vets with some offensive talent wouldn't hurt either....
    • This is really aggravating as the ENTIRE hitting philosophy AND coaches needed to go. Watching the playoffs and seeing how other teams put the ball in play, play small ball, and not swing/hack for the fences makes it even more irritating. 
    • My response was to a post that stated You mean like not letting Cowser face lefties all year, even though he hit them in the minors, and then having him take the biggest at bat of the entire season against a leftie?  When was he not allowed to face LHP?
    • I don't think it needs to be an either/or thing. Or at least ideally it wouldn't be. We could benefit from 1-2 guys. Imagine plugging 2008 Nick Markakis into our current team--his slash of .406/.491/.897 would nicely compliment the power bats and extend innings and give more chances to hit multi-run bombs. The player currently on our team who could (should) fill that role is Adley, as his 2023 .374/.435/.809 is similar to Markakis's 2010 where he put up .370/.436/.805. If Adley had reproduced his 2023 this year I think we might've made it to the ALDS, allowing for luck/SSS inherent to playoff baseball. If we had 2023 Adley and 2008/2010 Markakis on the 2024 squad it seems pretty likely we would've made it out of the wildcard round. With those types of hitters and healthy Bradish/GRod in our rotation we're serious WS contenders. We don't need to overhaul things completely but I do think we'd benefit from having a couple of really disciplined hitters in the lineup.   
    • What is ready?     Primary position C - the 60 players with the most PA in 2024 - the 40th best wRC+ was 81, the 50th best was 62.    Today ZiPS 2025 forecasts him for 86. I agree he would struggle, but some of my takeaway of the last couple years is the Orioles strategy of devising lesson plans in AAA to "fully" prepare a young bat for MLB pitchers is losing effectiveness.     He has triple the AAA games of Chourio and Merrill combined. I think in 2024 we saw him kept at catcher, so in time there's the real life stuff of Adley Rutschman and Samuel Basallo having meetings together, and getting them started and our pitchers used to throwing to Basallo sometimes helps the club's 2025 postseason capabilities. But sure, Roch will write a story in Sarasota he lacks James McCann's mastery of catcher defense, and for the initial 100 or 300 plate appearances he might be as bad as Judge or Holliday.      The Orioles will probably control his 2031 season for Arb3, if Elias can't leverage him to get club options for much of the early 2030's and  prominent MLBPA members like Ryan Mountcastle, Grayson Rodriguez, Jordan Westburg and others aren't so irritated by the Orioles and other clubs behavior the rules stay mostly the same.     I believe these are rather clearly the best players, even if a club hasn't optimized its $$$/WAR rate of return.
    • Agree 100%, If mike is talking about " ramping up the payroll" as a multi year process, then by the time you get 2 or 3 years down the road maybe not. If rubenstein is serious about winning and PA went to 160 in 2016 that shoul be at least what were spending next year. If not it's just an investment.
  • Popular Contributors