Kevin Brown

Srey

13 minutes ago, thegardner said:

Brian Roberts was great on the broadcast again, wish he did more games.

I like Brian too and Ben even better, on par with Palmer though different. The thing about Roberts is, he talks fast and talks a lot, which gets Ben going and he gets excited and talks faster and more too, so it gets a little out of control and I find myself wishing there was a speed setting on the audio, cause it sounds like those guys are going about 1.25 to 1.5, to put a metric on it! :)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, now said:

I like Brian too and Ben even better, on par with Palmer though different. The thing about Roberts is, he talks fast and talks a lot, which gets Ben going and he gets excited and talks faster and more too, so it gets a little out of control and I find myself wishing there was a speed setting on the audio, cause it sounds like those guys are going about 1.25 to 1.5, to put a metric on it! :)

I like that Roberts provides insights from a hitting/fielding perspective while McDonald brings a pitcher's perspective.  They work well together and are ready to listen to.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, thegardner said:

Brian Roberts was great on the broadcast again, wish he did more games.

I thought Roberts was actually much better this year then in years past where he was ok, but seemed a little passive. 

Roberts might actually be a good backup to Ben when Palmer finally retires. Not a super fan of three man booths, but they were pretty good together overall.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I thought Roberts was actually much better this year then in years past where he was ok, but seemed a little passive. 

Roberts might actually be a good backup to Ben when Palmer finally retires. Not a super fan of three man booths, but they were pretty good together overall.

I typically agree, though the Mets booth has 3 and is the best in the game, IMO. 

I loved BRob talking about the difficulty of switch hitting.  I enjoyed hearing that when he was growing up, his dad made him alternate at bats R/L regardless of which side the pitchers threw from.  

I think BRob is better as the third man in the booth than there just with a PBP. Ben works well in a two man but also interacted nicely with Brian. They should try more three man like that for a bit to get the less experienced guys some work. Devo was terrible in his short stint last year but he’s a guy who could benefit from such an arrangement. 

15 hours ago, now said:

I was thinking the same thing when listening to them!  You could hear Ben just dying to get his two cents in, and was interrupting Roberts before he was quite finished.  But I actually did enjoy them working together, it just seems like with the pitch clock there's no way for two talkative color commentators to get in all their comments in between each pitch. 

1 hour ago, Otter said:

I was thinking the same thing when listening to them!  You could hear Ben just dying to get his two cents in, and was interrupting Roberts before he was quite finished.  But I actually did enjoy them working together, it just seems like with the pitch clock there's no way for two talkative color commentators to get in all their comments in between each pitch. 

True--and as with the guests they interview at length, the play-by-play kind of gets put into the background. I understand, they (like us) want to multitask during baseball's long spaces between the action, but come on: the action comes first and foremost.

• Upvote 1

I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 man booth w/ MacDonald and Roberts and wish they would use it more often.

BTW, is KB now always on ESPN2 Sunday night baseball? I don't remember the last Sunday MASN game he worked.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

I loved BRob talking about the difficulty of switch hitting.  I enjoyed hearing that when he was growing up, his dad made him alternate at bats R/L regardless of which side the pitchers threw from.  

Kevin just mentioned Santander breaking the Orioles switch hitting season home run record. Was a little surprised that #33 did not exceed 36.

And Palmer mentioned Brady Anderson told the Orioles to grab Santander in the rule V draft, Anthony reminder Brady of Victor Martinez.

@funfacts