Kevin Brown

Srey

• 6 months later...
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I used to watch a ton of college basketball, but between the one-and-dones, the constant transferring and the professionalization of the sport with the NILs etc., I don’t find it nearly as compelling as it used to be.  

College sports are definitely in an odd spot right now.

On one hand, these kids should be able to leave if they want, as any student can but it’s also being taken too far.

And I’m good with the NIL stuff but I do think some level of regulation can be put on it.

Pitino recently talked about handling this like pro sports.  You sign a 2 year contract with the school and each of the power 5 schools operates on some sort of a “salary cap”

I think there is some validity to that.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

On one hand, these kids should be able to leave if they want, as any student can but it’s also being taken too far.

And I’m good with the NIL stuff but I do think some level of regulation can be put on it.

Pitino recently talked about handling this like pro sports.  You sign a 2 year contract with the school and each of the power 5 schools operates on some sort of a “salary cap”

That sounds fair and for the major schools, every kid should get something even if it's a few thousand.  It could be funded by the NCAA, major conferences and a tax on NIL.  The Georgia QB might have to survive w a couple less options on his Lamborghini.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Although I think Pitino's salary cap is about $2 million per team.   While he alone makes more than that to coach the team. 

Guess he only wants to limit players' salaries, not coaches.

And of course coaches have always had a "transfer portal" and never had to stay for the length of contract they signed if a better offer came around.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Turned on the Duke - BC game on ESPN just now.  Kevin Brown is doing the PBP!

I heard him do a game a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed. Oddly, I didn't catch that it was him immediately, but when he introduced himself again after a station break, I yelled to my wife to come in and see. 

That said, I'd LOVE to hear Ben McDonald do hoops games just for the laughs. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I heard him do a game a couple of weeks ago. I was impressed. Oddly, I didn't catch that it was him immediately, but when he introduced himself again after a station break, I yelled to my wife to come in and see. 

That said, I'd LOVE to hear Ben McDonald do hoops games just for the laughs. 

Don’t forget, Ben played bball. I wouldn’t be surprised if he could hold his own.

Edited by Sports Guy

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

Although I think Pitino's salary cap is about $2 million per team.   While he alone makes more than that to coach the team. 

And of course coaches have always had a "transfer portal" and never had to stay for the length of contract they signed if a better offer came around.

Here’s my dilemma: I want the kids treated fairly, but I don’t want an NBA minor league masquerading as “college” basketball.  I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that what’s best for the players may not be best for the fans.  I liked watching green freshman come in and make their mistakes, learn, mature and eventually develop into mature seniors who were leaders of the younger players, and who really felt loyalty to the institutions they attended.  Most might - gasp - even graduate, develop some lifelong friendships, etc.  The teams might even play like teams, not some random assortment of talented kids who have been thrown together for a short while.  Oh, and the teams might actually stay in one conference and develop rivalries with every other team there to one degree or another.

Now don’t get me wrong, I know some of this was an illusion at many schools.  I know lots of these kids were majoring in Underwater Basket Weaving, that professors were pressured to pass kids who were barely going to class, etc.   And I understand that it’s not really fair for the schools to make tens of millions, for the coaches to make millions and just leave for a better situation whenever they want, while the kids get nothing and are mostly stuck wherever they are.  But I’m just going to say it: for the consumer, the product was way better.  Much more fun to watch and experience.  

So, I’m not suggesting we can go back.  I’m just explaining why I don’t watch college basketball as much as I used to.  Simply put, it’s not as fun.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Here’s my dilemma: I want the kids treated fairly, but I don’t want an NBA minor league masquerading as “college” basketball.  I have sort of resigned myself to the fact that what’s best for the players may not be best for the fans.  I liked watching green freshman come in and make their mistakes, learn, mature and eventually develop into mature seniors who were leaders of the younger players, and who really felt loyalty to the institutions they attended.  Most might - gasp - even graduate, develop some lifelong friendships, etc.  The teams might even play like teams, not some random assortment of talented kids who have been thrown together for a short while.  Oh, and the teams might actually stay in one conference and develop rivalries with every other team there to one degree or another.

Now don’t get me wrong, I know some of this was an illusion at many schools.  I know lots of these kids were majoring in Underwater Basket Weaving, that professors were pressured to pass kids who were barely going to class, etc.   And I understand that it’s not really fair for the schools to make tens of millions, for the coaches to make millions and just leave for a better situation whenever they want, while the kids get nothing and are mostly stuck wherever they are.  But I’m just going to say it: for the consumer, the product was way better.  Much more fun to watch and experience.  

So, I’m not suggesting we can go back.  I’m just explaining why I don’t watch college basketball as much as I used to.  Simply put, it’s not as fun.  

Oh yea, the product isn’t what it once was. I would guess college football is the same but I don’t pay as much attention to it but all of this stuff is even worse for football.

It’s also why you see more and more upsets and more and more mid majors winning because those teams generally stay together for a while.  Guys develop in one system, under one coach and usually surrounded by a lot of the same teammates.

That said, the system was also always unfair to the athletes, so I’m glad they did things to change that.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Exactly. I was about to say that it’s interesting he wants to limit their earnings potential but doesn’t mention coach pay. These schools and coaches profiting off the backs of players and trying to give them as little of the pie as possible is disgusting. 

That said, college sports is almost unwatchable now. You can’t have the same level of interest with your team because the turnover is so high. Can’t watch guys develop or even know who’s on your team from year to year. They definitely need something but not an earnings cap. Unless, schools and coaches are taking a cap too.