How disappointed will you be if we dont make any major moves, or ANY moves?

Roy Firestone

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You can't be disappointed if you didn't have any expectations.

I thought you guys would know better after the off-season we just had.  And while O'Hearn has been a fantastic pickup and Frazier hasn't been nearly as awful as we all expected, no one here can tell me that they're expecting Elias to be the guy to swing for the fences with a major move that nets us the established talent (aka a big name).

Until he does it, I'll remain skeptical.  And I am an Elias fan, a big one.  But I just think there's patterns to his game here that no one wants to accept.  Like I said, until he does it, I'm not expecting it.

It's one of the OH mantras...complain, complain, complain, never taking the time to pause and learn and understand about the very thing that you're complaining about.

Ima gotta be with Moose on this one.....specifically with regard to expectations and learning from what we've seen in the past.

I can tell you this much.....if there is/are trade deadline deal(s) made by the O's, the general consensus - as I've learned from the past here - is that 1) we won't be happy with who we got, and 2) we won't be happy with what it took to get whoever we got.  It's just the way it is......so, please prepare to be disappointed one way or the other.

26 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

See the lineup thread

Is that what it is???  I thought it was the Frazier/Mateo hate thread (just kidding guys, sort of)

It is funny how often we see, "Just bring up 'pick a name' from AAA so they can rake up here instead of down there", and three weeks later, there's a thread about why "pick a name' can't hit at the major league level.

I'm calling on @DirtyBird to please start calling for all of them to be sent back to AAA.  It worked for Henderson.....maybe it'll work for the other guys.  I'm mostly serious about this.....

I will be somewhat disappointed but more so if we don't win tonight. I don't like The Jays and I think we are a much better team. I'd like to see us get more pitching today but whether we do or not, will not alter my enthusiasm for this team and our long-term trajectory one iota! . 

I will be disappointed that he would fail to improve his team during the first trading deadline that he's had a legitimate deep playoff team. Everyone can see the shortcomings in the bullpen and in the rotation. 

At some point you have to move prospects for legitimate major league players that can make your playoff caliber team a World Series caliber team. 

I don't know what other teams are asking for and getting Fuji for Easton was a very good low cost (prospect wise) move, but that can't be the only move to the bullpen.

• Upvote 1

If we don't make any moves, will Elias publically give the fans an honest explanation why no moves were made?   What bothers me the most is when on his interviews, he made all these promises and then he dissappears when no deals were made.  Even if he tried his best, I still think the fans deserve an honest explanation on what happened?

9 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

If we don't make any moves, will Elias publically give the fans an honest explanation why no moves were made?   What bothers me the most is when on his interviews, he made all these promises and then he dissappears when no deals were made.  Even if he tried his best, I still think the fans deserve an honest explanation on what happened?

Elias did promise us "lift off", but didn't really define it.  Second best record in the major leagues after 6 mostly dismal seasons looks like "lift off" in terms of results, just not sexy splashes in the trade or free agent markets.

He did say last year that the market for free agent starting pitching was well beyond what he had calibrated, and I don't think he was going to hand out those insane contracts.  Many have turned out to be foolish, but Eovaldi and Eflin are certainly living up to theirs.

Also, last offseason, I think many on here were placing way more value on our players than any other GM in the majors was.  I doubt that Elias received any offers for our guys that he felt would improve our team in a significant way, and when that happens, you politely decline the offer.  The optics - in terms of splashes -say that he did very little last offseason, but not many of us can really argue with the contributions of both Gibson and Frazier this season, no matter how unpopular those signings were on here.

He has a method to his madness, and it seems to be working.  And I don't think he's going to be hoodwinked into a panic deal.....I think he's too smart for that.

So, if nothing gets done today, I doubt that he tells us that asking prices were way too high.  (In fact, I saw in MLB Trade Rumors this morning that the Padres asking price for Josh Hader if they traded him was very high, so there's just another confirmation of the market when some of us wonder why "we just don't go out and trade for him".

Not coming away with a bullpen arm would be absolute indefensible negligence. There's no other way to look at that IMO. I trust Elias 90% of the time, but this would be an abject failure of his duties as a GM going into a playoff race. Period. 

That said, I don't think it's very likely that he does nothing. That would honestly shock me. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I will be 73.7 % disappointed.  

Thanks for asking. 

My disappointment will go to eleven. 

Actually it’ll be more like a 3.   I’d like to see them get more pitching, but there’s not much out there and I don’t want to grossly overpay.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Actually it’ll be more like a 3.   I’d like to see them get more pitching, but there’s not much out there and I don’t want to grossly overpay.  

You don't look at this bullpen and have enough concerns to where a lack of any moves is disappointing? I have to disagree that there aren't bullpen arms available. We've seen plenty get traded already. It doesn't have to be a stud closer, just another Danny Coulombe-level guy. I think you'd be doing Bautista and Cano a disservice by not trying to supplement those guys. Fuji was a solid get, but there are still 2-3 guys in the bullpen that can't really be trusted in high leverage. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

You don't look at this bullpen and have enough concerns to where a lack of any moves is disappointing? I have to disagree that there aren't bullpen arms available. We've seen plenty get traded already. It doesn't have to be a stud closer, just another Danny Coulombe-level guy. I think you'd be doing Bautista and Cano a disservice by not trying to supplement those guys. Fuji was a solid get, but there are still 2-3 guys in the bullpen that can't really be trusted in high leverage. 

I actually don’t disagree with you.  I didn’t say my disappointment would be zero.   I’d be somewhat disappointed.  But the way I’m wired, I just follow the team we have, and react when a move is made.  I don’t spend my time anticipating what the team might do.  So, I won’t be that let down if nothing happens, though I’d prefer we go get some more pitching if we can.  And, I like the move we made already a lot, just as much (probably more) than if we’d made that move today instead of last week.  We’ve already made a good move to help the pen. 

• Upvote 2