Bullpen for the stretch run

RVAOsFan

I was a little confused and frustrated after 6pm today when there wasn’t a trade announced for a good bullpen arm.  There were plenty of relievers who were traded for reasonable asking prices so what happened?

After thinking on it for a bit I think I have made some sense of it. This afternoon it was announced DL Hall was headed back to Norfolk. I think Hall must have shown enough in Florida for the team to view him as the best bullpen option they could add today. When Means and Wells come back we should have some solid options.

So what do you view as our ideal bullpen for the stretch run?

Bautista, Wells, Hall, Cano, Coulombe, Fuji, Means/ a current starter

The thing that scares me about Wells in the bullpen is, you can shake off a HR when your a starter. You can pitch 3 or 4 more innings and keep your team in the game. But if you are the bullpen you can't give up taters. A HR and you have failed. There's no margin for error. Can he work around that?

I still think some number of Baumann, Perez, and Baker are in the mix, in that order. For now I think it's pretty much what we have now.

Bautista, Cano, Fuji, Baumann, Coulombe, Perez, Baker, Krehbiel

Pick between Wells and Hall if they are performing well. 

I am not really expecting anything out of Means this year. If he is back, best guess is it would be as a starter. 

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I still think some number of Baumann, Perez, and Baker are in the mix, in that order. For now I think it's pretty much what we have now.

Bautista, Cano, Fuji, Baumann, Coulombe, Perez, Baker, Krehbiel

Pick between Wells and Hall if they are performing well. 

I am not really expecting anything out of Means this year. If he is back, best guess is it would be as a starter. 

If Means goes into the rotation that should push someone out into the bullpen

Baker and Baumann have options. I can see them being sent to AAA as part of an up-down shuttle to keep fresh arms up. Maybe even Cano could get sent down, if he struggles, though he's not at that point yet. Perez has picked it up and with no options, I think he stays.

Mainstays: Bautista, Coulombe, Fujinami, Perez, Cano, Wells

Up-down: Hall, Baker, Baumann, Irvin, Akin, Krehbiel

39 minutes ago, G54377 said:

The thing that scares me about Wells in the bullpen is, you can shake off a HR when your a starter. You can pitch 3 or 4 more innings and keep your team in the game. But if you are the bullpen you can't give up taters. A HR and you have failed. There's no margin for error. Can he work around that?

Maybe Wells needs to go on 10 day IL for fatigue and come back and resume starting??? Maybe the rest may rejuvenate him???

47 minutes ago, G54377 said:

He's done it before.  No reason to think he can't pitch effectively in the bullpen once he comes back from his rest break.

26 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Not necessarily. Kremer and Grayson could go to AAA. I do think we are going to need to lose someone when Flaherty is added to the active roster. Could be Irvin. 

Was Bazardo on the 40-man?  I was assuming they DFA'd him to make room for Flaherty or whoever.  No?

3 minutes ago, justD said:

Was Bazardo on the 40-man?  I was assuming they DFA'd him to make room for Flaherty or whoever.  No?

I don't think the 40 man is a problem (Rom was on it). The question is who do they move off the active roster. Adding Flaherty would put them at 14 pitchers. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

Wells yes, but man I am not counting on Means or Hall one bit.  That seems like a long longshot 

Well, Elias apparently is because he didn't get any help from outside. They certainly know more about where those guys are than we do.