Who do we want to start Game One of the World Series?

Baltimorecuse

20 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

One thing I hear over and over is how smart Elias/Sig (our front office) are and how great they are at using advanced analytic. Bowden and Duquette were talking about that just this morning before they had Elias on. It was in reference to why they thought Flaherty was a good pick up for us and his effective use of the curveball yesterday. They both agreed that the Orioles analytics department is well ahead of were the St. Louis Cardinals are. Given the historical nature of how the two teams have operated over the last 25 years, I would say that is a tremendous compliment. 

Not to derail the thread...  But that's a significant compliment considering STL were early movers in analytics.

Baseball has always been a stats game, but it really started snowballing more mainstream when "The Book" (James, 1980) "Moneyball" (Lewis, 2002) came out years ago.  And it's basically only been since Elias was hired that there was any heavy investment in developing our analytics.  It's how TB has been so good at finding those diamonds in the rough.  The trend is moving from theory more and more toward applied science through Six Sigma/Lean/other decision-making techniques that get to the 'why' so that can be fixed/perfected...  Being 10-15 years behind the industry leaders is a pretty big gap.

STL is a class organization and have been competitive for years.  I'm not sure if they've had any key decision-makers or data analysts leave over the years, but they have traded away their share of talent too.  I wonder if the bill just happened to come due this year.  

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Not to derail the thread...  But that's a significant compliment considering STL were early movers in analytics.

Baseball has always been a stats game, but it really started snowballing more mainstream when "The Book" (James, 1980) "Moneyball" (Lewis, 2002) came out years ago.  And it's basically only been since Elias was hired that there was any heavy investment in developing our analytics.  It's how TB has been so good at finding those diamonds in the rough.  The trend is moving from theory more and more toward applied science through Six Sigma/Lean/other decision-making techniques that get to the 'why' so that can be fixed/perfected...  Being 10-15 years behind the industry leaders is a pretty big gap.

STL is a class organization and have been competitive for years.  I'm not sure if they've had any key decision-makers or data analysts leave over the years, but they have traded away their share of talent too.  I wonder if the bill just happened to come due this year.  

Didn't Elias get his start in STL?

From the outside looking in, the Cards org is in a little disarray. They lack direction. Remember the whole fiasco with Contreras earlier this season? They have two great but aging assets and decided to sell neither when there is nothing that shows them having more talent than CIN next year. The Reds have a superior system and superior advantage with young talent.

STL is concerned with how a "rebuild" would play in their market given that they have NEVER had to undergo one. Boston has a similar problem in my opinion. Though they have a better team than STL, it should be crystal clear to them that they are not in the same class/caliber as the O's and Rays. Just look at the difference in young talent at the Big League level and then look at how bigger the gap is in the minor leagues.

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I just watched a clip over on the MSN front page where a guy named David Matteh said the O's had no chance of winning the division.  I have no idea who he is.  

3 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I just watched a clip over on the MSN front page where a guy named David Matteh said the O's had no chance of winning the division.  I have no idea who he is.  

Anyone in this country can open his mouth and make a fool of himself.  

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Didn't Elias get his start in STL?

From the outside looking in, the Cards org is in a little disarray. They lack direction. Remember the whole fiasco with Contreras earlier this season? They have two great but aging assets and decided to sell neither when there is nothing that shows them having more talent than CIN next year. The Reds have a superior system and superior advantage with young talent.

STL is concerned with how a "rebuild" would play in their market given that they have NEVER had to undergo one. Boston has a similar problem in my opinion. Though they have a better team than STL, it should be crystal clear to them that they are not in the same class/caliber as the O's and Rays. Just look at the difference in young talent at the Big League level and then look at how bigger the gap is in the minor leagues.

Yes, as a scout.  And followed Luhnow to HOU from there.  Elias doesn't have math skills though to quantify the human side of things.  But he can guide what the inputs are from a scouting perspective to be number crunched.  

STL shouldn't have signed Contreras to replace Yadi.  Yadi was to STL what Cal was to Baltimore.  Not just anyone could replace Cal/Yadi.  Even moreso at catcher.  Yadi casts a big, unfair shadow for Contreras too.

I have to think Mozeliak has a plan.  Even if it looks a little chaotic now.  Boston-elitism is the tougher market.

If the O's consistently play .500+ ball, multiple playoff births, 3 WS appearances, and 1 ring over the next 20 years (like STL did over the last 20), is that a success?

15 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

It's close, but I'll take Bowden's analysis over Matteh's.  :) 

The only way the Orioles wouldnt have a chance to win the pennant at this point is if mulitiple starters go down.  And that could happen to any team at any time.  Even if we lost Gunnar Henderson we have enough prospects to cover for a while.  

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Yes, as a scout.  And followed Luhnow to HOU from there.  Elias doesn't have math skills though to quantify the human side of things.  But he can guide what the inputs are from a scouting perspective to be number crunched.  

STL shouldn't have signed Contreras to replace Yadi.  Yadi was to STL what Cal was to Baltimore.  Not just anyone could replace Cal/Yadi.  Even moreso at catcher.  Yadi casts a big, unfair shadow for Contreras too.

I have to think Mozeliak has a plan.  Even if it looks a little chaotic now.  Boston-elitism is the tougher market.

If the O's consistently play .500+ ball, multiple playoff births, 3 WS appearances, and 1 ring over the next 20 years (like STL did over the last 20), is that a success?

If we are EVER able to enjoy a period in time like the Cards or Bo Sox have had since the turn of the millennium, I think we would all have to consider ourselves extremely fortunate.

I myself have a much lower bar, just one single championship before I die would be sufficient. Let all the years of misery pay off at least 1 time. 😁