OPACY Is Not Ready For The Playoffs

cboemmeljr

I was there last night also, and sat in section 332. I was surprised that I never saw a hot dog vendor in the stands, and no venders at all until the 6th inning. Having simple items like hot dogs available in the stands would take pressure off of lines on the concourse. Like the OP points to, I hope they get this sorted out by the hopefully extensive playoffs! 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of playoffs, any idea when we might host the 1st 2 games of the Divisional Series, assuming we get a bye? So far, all we know is the Wild Card Series will play out from October 3rd to October 5th. I’m thinking the 7th and 8th. This gives the Wild Card Series winner a day off and still allows for 2 weekend games for the higher seed. Never too early to start planning.

I can tell not many of you frequent games at Yankee stadium. Where the lines are every bit as bad, the food more expensive, and less palatable. It's a problem at any venue, go to a concert and stand in line for 30 minutes waiting to get a beer, etc.

1 hour ago, Feinbird said:

I was there last night also, and sat in section 332. I was surprised that I never saw a hot dog vendor in the stands, and no venders at all until the 6th inning. Having simple items like hot dogs available in the stands would take pressure off of lines on the concourse. Like the OP points to, I hope they get this sorted out by the hopefully extensive playoffs! 

Seems like someone could sell sodas at $6 a piece or beers for $10 (or whatever price as I don't drink) and make a healthy profit.

The orioles have a contract with concessions so your issue there is actually with Levy’s. I think the food quality this year is much better then it was under the previous vendor though. And as others have said the orioles just had a job fair, and it’s hard to hire temp employees right now. They at least seem to be aware they need to ramp up. Opening up more dates before and especially after games seems like an easy fix though.

For the food though, order a sandwich from ekiben or depasqualis or your favorite local sandwich shop, and take advantage of the generous food policy (try that at a ravens game, and their concessions are awful). Good for local business, good for your tastebuds, good for your wallet. It’s a win all around 

51 minutes ago, Malike said:

I can tell not many of you frequent games at Yankee stadium. Where the lines are every bit as bad, the food more expensive, and less palatable. It's a problem at any venue, go to a concert and stand in line for 30 minutes waiting to get a beer, etc.

According to this ,two teams did not  participate,the Orioles have the most expensive hot dog and second highest beer prices. They are tied in the beer prices with a few teams.

MLB beer, hot dog prices by team 2023: Most, least expensive stadiums
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2023/05/05/mlb-beer-hot-dog-prices-by-stadium-team-2023/11738342002/

16 minutes ago, seak05 said:

The orioles have a contract with concessions so your issue there is actually with Levy’s. I think the food quality this year is much better then it was under the previous vendor though. And as others have said the orioles just had a job fair, and it’s hard to hire temp employees right now. They at least seem to be aware they need to ramp up. Opening up more dates before and especially after games seems like an easy fix though.

For the food though, order a sandwich from ekiben or depasqualis or your favorite local sandwich shop, and take advantage of the generous food policy (try that at a ravens game, and their concessions are awful). Good for local business, good for your tastebuds, good for your wallet. It’s a win all around 

All the MLB  teams are allowing you to bring food in. Definitely much different then the NFL.How much you can bring in varies by team. 

Addressing the recent Orioles job fair, according to my sister ( usher supervisor at OPACY), it was strictly for Orioles game day staff.  Concession workers are hired by Levy's.

If I recall correctly, Levy was the concessionaire before Delaware North.  The bottom line is a company like Levy should know better, after all, these are the stadiums they operate in.

https://www.prosportscatering.com/

I am also being told that the self-serve checkout system is a part of the problem as well.

My original point was not to address the inconsistent food quality that has been much discussed this season or the prices.  It was to say that an organization that is supposedly all about the "fan experience" has to do better.  I am aware that you can bring food into OPACY (just like in the old days).  During the playoffs, only the "local fans" will bring food in.  The national stage is not a time for there to be significant delays or bottlenecks in food service.  

11 minutes ago, cboemmeljr said:

I am also being told that the self-serve checkout system is a part of the problem as well.

This is a problem.  I bought my food, it checked me out which worked just fine, and there was a guy standing there, probably getting paid $15-$20 an hour to watch the machine do it's job.  Not one guy for all four self-checkouts.  4 people for 4 self checkouts.

Now think about efficiencies and how they could better put those 4 people to use.

• Upvote 1

Obviously, it’s tough for either the ballpark or the concessionaire to staff up for a one-day attendance spike in the middle of the season.  On the other hand, with the high likelihood of sold-out playoff games in October, you’d like to think they could plan ahead for what will happen two months from now.  

As for me, the last three times I’ve gone, I’ve packed my own peanuts and a PB&J sandwich, and a bottle of water.   No food lines for me!   And the one thing you can usually get quickly is a beverage, whether alcoholic or not.  

• 4 weeks later...