Angelos wanted two year lease extension

Going Underground

13 hours ago, SouthernBird said:

I have lived in Nashville my entire life, and YES, it has been exploding for the last 10-15 years. We will get a team, that is a given.

Has there been any talk in Nashville about building a major league quality stadium, where it would be, what it would cost, etc.?   Do you think the local populace has the appetite to fund what it costs to build a top quality stadium and develop the area around it in a way that would maximize attendance?

I see that the local AAA draws pretty well.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has there been any talk in Nashville about building a major league quality stadium, where it would be, what it would cost, etc.?   Do you think the local populace has the appetite to fund what it costs to build a top quality stadium and develop the area around it in a way that would maximize attendance?

I'd say yes they have the appetite .. but how big is it?

https://frontofficesports.com/nashville-passes-2-billion-titans-stadium-sets-record-for-public-funding/#:~:text=It will be a potential,and Personal Seat License sales.

Think how nice it would be if we had even a halfway decent owner.  Just an average one.   Angelos is just the worst.  Really always gives you pause in the back of your head as to how good the Os will ever be long term with him owning/running/ruining things. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think the Titans just spent a lot on a new stadium. 

On 8/11/2023 at 1:05 PM, LookitsPuck said:

He's not going to be able to move the team to Nashville. He'd be encroaching on the Reds, Braves, Cardinals, White Sox, Cubs, and Royals. I don't even think that Nashville would get an expansion team because of this. Vegas was super easy for the A's because...who the heck are they encroaching on? 

Just remember how much hellfire Peter Angelos brought on the Nats coming to town. And that's *1* team being encroached on (I suppose the Phillies could have argued, too). Imagine 6.

Yeah, but Manfred is trying to end those regional tv territories and end the ridiculous blackout rules.  So TV rights for teams located hours away will have no impact on expansion.

20 hours ago, accinfo said:

Corn is 100% correct.  40% federal tax on all property value over $13 million.  Plus at least 10% from the State of Maryland.  The IRS and State of MD won’t finance that.  Just assuming $3 billion that is $1.5 billion due.  I don’t see anyway they can come up with that money with the exception of taking on partners  by selling off parts of the Orioles.  Also baseball would have to approve them as owners.   I don’t see anyway that is happening because they have no other significant income stream.  There will be plenty of people who would like to own this team with much deeper pockets.

I think this is why Angelos is so desperate to build this entertainment district.  He needs the cash (or collateral on which to borrow) to pay the inheritance tax.  I don’t know how they can afford the tax without liquidating their largest asset (the Orioles).

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, btownoriole said:

I think this is why Angelos is so desperate to build this entertainment district.  He needs the cash (or collateral on which to borrow) to pay the inheritance tax.  I don’t know how they can afford the tax without liquidating their largest asset (the Orioles).

Yeah, hopefully the state holds firm and doesn't give him extra funds so he cant hold onto the O's.

The last thing the O's need is JA owning the team for another 40 years.

Inheritance and estate tax issues only will come into play when Georgia passes away.   Federal estate tax and Md inheritance tax is exempt when passing property between spouses.    That is of course if she is to receive the property in PA's will. 

https://marylandtaxes.gov/individual/estate-inheritance/estate-inheritance-tax.php#:~:text=0.9% tax on the clear,property passing to other individuals.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SouthRider said:

Inheritance and estate tax issues only will come into play when Georgia passes away.   Federal estate tax and Md inheritance tax is exempt when passing property between spouses.    That is of course if she is to receive the property in PA's will. 

https://marylandtaxes.gov/individual/estate-inheritance/estate-inheritance-tax.php#:~:text=0.9% tax on the clear,property passing to other individuals.

Really so we could still easily have decades of JA ownership before the inheritance tax is enforced? 

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, she is 80, so I doubt it is decades.

She’s actually a very nice and classy woman, at least based on the way she seemed(was around her once or twice) and what her reputation was back when I was with the Os. 

Otoh, if she is on John’s side, maybe she has turned to the dark side..or somehow Lou is even worse.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

She’s actually a very nice and classy woman, at least based on the way she seemed(was around her once or twice) and what her reputation was back when I was with the Os. 

Otoh, if she is on John’s side, maybe she has turned to the dark side..or somehow Lou is even worse.

I have no insight into her character, or any of the Angeloses for that matter, other than how they publicly present themselves.

I'm not wishing any ill health, etc. upon Georgia or Peter for that matter.

I'm just pointing out that she is 80 years old, and is unlikely to live for decades.

This was in one of the Baltimore Sun articles. I forgot to post it at 5am. Actually would probably forget to post it at 5pm.

What a drag it is getting old and no mothers little helper.

From the same guy who said ,we don't want any rock and roll concerts at Camden Yards,the hooligans will ruin  the field.

Ironically, the idea of developing the area between Camden Yards and the Ravens stadium came up in 1997, but was “bitterly” opposed by the Orioles, as The Sun reported at the time. The stadium authority wanted to develop the area as an “urban entertainment complex” of shops, restaurants and other attractions. But the Orioles said that would compete with and diminish Camden Yards.

Then-Gov. Parris Glendening urged the stadium authority and the Orioles to work together.

Team owner Peter Angelos, John Angelos’ father, responded with a four-page letter, saying that was a “grossly inappropriate” comment and reiterating, “We will not support dropping a shopping center between the two stadiums.”

The area between the two stadiums remains, then as now, surface parking.

• Upvote 3