Hicks activated, Cowser optioned

MurphDogg

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because his numbers are unlucky (even if they still wouldn’t be good but would likely look similar to what Hicks has been the last month here before he got hurt). Because he’s young, learning and will get better. Because he’s inmensely talented. Because his P/PA would be the best in the league if he qualified. Because his arm strength is very high. Because he has basically dominated in the minors and has nothing left to prove and because his replacement blows and has basically been a bad player for much of the last several years.

If you hit the ball over the fence nobody is bringing it back. He isn’t driving the ball. He isn’t one hopping the wall. 

You say he is young, talented, and learning which are all true. Who cares about the future. Now is what matters. This isn’t about nothing left to prove, it’s about today. Hicks at most will be playing 3/4 days a week. 

This isn’t some final determination about Cowser it’s about what’s best right now for the team. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He has a 601 OPs in his last 89 PA. Since that initial time coming up, he has been terrible, both with the glove and the bat.

I'm not really buying that he's been terrible with the glove.  OAA says he's about average, and I'd probably agree with that.

Cowser has looked bad in the field at times too, and can't really play CF except in an emergency.  At least Hicks can play CF.

Even if you assume his slumping numbers are closer to his true performance, he's still been hitting like .180 OPS higher than Cowser.  That's the difference between Anthony Santander and Corbin Carroll.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

If you hit the ball over the fence nobody is bringing it back. He isn’t driving the ball. He isn’t one hopping the wall. 

You say he is young, talented, and learning which are all true. Who cares about the future. Now is what matters. This isn’t about nothing left to prove, it’s about today. Hicks at most will be playing 3/4 days a week. 

This isn’t some final determination about Cowser it’s about what’s best right now for the team. 

Yes, it’s about this season and Cowser will get better and be a better piece by the end of the year than Hicks.

Your argument would have something to stand on if Hicks hadn’t been really bad for most of his time here or been bad for a lot of the last several years. Why you ignoring this is beyond me.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hicks xBA/xSlug/xwOBa: 204/309/278

Cowser xBA/xSlug/xwOBa: 205/274/302

Hicks hard hit %: 30.1%

Cowser hard hit %: 42.5%

Statcast has Cowser as the faster runner and higher max exit velo.

Look at Cowser’s spray chart. Tell me he is exit velo data is legitimate. He has hit several hard ground balls to 3B and SS. I know the data you are citing, and I understand it. But you have to interpret that with what your eyes tell you. If Cowser had a tail, it would be tucked between his legs right now and there would be a puddle on the carpet. 

Just now, Jammer7 said:

Look at Cowser’s spray chart. Tell me he is exit velo data is legitimate. He has hit several hard ground balls to 3B and SS. I know the data you are citing, and I understand it. But you have to interpret that with what your eyes tell you. If Cowser had a tail, it would be tucked between his legs right now and there would be a puddle on the carpet. 

It’s all a SSS and means very little.

I don’t disagree that he isn’t driving the ball. I also don’t care and don’t feel it’s something he can’t get past.

You are all hanging onto this concept that Hicks provides value.  He really doesn’t, not for us. We have guys to fill the role that he can.

Even if you want to still send down Cowser, which I disagree with, you bring up Ortiz or Kjerstad. 

Everything this team is doing now has zero to do with winning tonight or tomorrow. It’s about winning in October, thus why Mateo is still here.

Come October, with another 7 weeks full of regular at bats, Cowser makes us a better team than Hicks does.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

If Cowser had a tail, it would be tucked between his legs right now and there would be a puddle on the carpet. 

I don't know what this means.

I personally don't think Cowser should have been sent down.  But I bet they're hoping that Hicks can catch lightning in a bottle again after being activated...similar to how he started here when we picked him up.  

Cowser's going to have his day in the sun, possibly in a few weeks again after rosters expand.  I believe he was a bit unlucky even though I hate the unlucky argument.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s all a SSS and means very little.

I don’t disagree that he isn’t driving the ball. I also don’t care and don’t feel it’s something he can’t get past.

You are all hanging onto this concept that Hicks provides value.  He really doesn’t, not for us. We have guys to fill the role that he can.

Even if you want to still send down Cowser, which I disagree with, you bring up Ortiz or Kjerstad. 

Everything this team is doing now has zero to do with winning tonight or tomorrow. It’s about winning in October, thus why Mateo is still here.

Come October, with another 7 weeks full of regular at bats, Cowser makes us a better team than Hicks does.

I agree with the thought process of let Cowser take his lumps now and he will be better in October making the team better. The problem is he’s not getting regular at bats with the O’s. So regular at bats in Norfolk or bench role with Baltimore, I don’t know what is better for his progress 

How many late inning, pinch hit opportunities will come our way in the playoffs?

Hicks will take a walk, which is easily his best attribute. He will work the count. He will give you a good at bat even if the result isn’t good.

Hes very similar to Frazier that way but Frazier is just a better hitter.

So, Frazier has that role. 

What role does Hicks have? Emergency CFer? Second pinch hitter? 

Is that a reason to keep him around?

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I agree with the thought process of let Cowser take his lumps now and he will be better in October making the team better. The problem is he’s not getting regular at bats with the O’s. So regular at bats in Norfolk or bench role with Baltimore, I don’t know what is better for his progress 

Well, that’s the other part of this equation..,Hyde just needs to play Cowser. I don’t mind him sitting vs the best lefties and I don’t even mind pinch hitting for him late in the game if a tough lefty reliever is out there.

But he should be starting 2/3-3/4 of the games and that is plenty for him And as he starts to hit and get more comfortable in the field, he can play more.

• Upvote 1