The starters’ innings thread

Frobby

This is just a place to track how many innings Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez and Wells rack up compared to previous highs. 

Kremer pitched a career-high 134.1 innings last year, 125.1 in the majors and 9.0 in the minors.  He is at 132.0 now and should top his career high next time out.

Bradish threw a career-high 145.1 innings last year, 117.2 in the majors annd 27.2 in the minors.   So far this year he’s at 126.2, 121.2 in the majors and 5.0 in the minors.

Rodriguez threw a career-high 103.0 innings in 2021.  This year he’s passed that at 122.1 innings, 81.0 in the majors and 41.1 in the minors.  

Wells threw a career-high 119.1 innings in 2019, before having TJ surgery.   He’s now past that at 120.1 innings, 113.2 runs n the majors and 6.2 in the minors.  

I’ll plan to update this as the season progresses.   But, I think it’s good we added Flaherty and that Irvin is now in the rotation as well.   Kremer, Bradish and Rodriguez all look really strong right now, but can they each make another 7 starts and pitch in the postseason too?  As to Wells, he was already showing fatigue when he was put on the IL.  I hope we’ll get some effective innings from him down the stretch, but they’ll probably come in relief. 

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

Elias has said multiple times that there is no scientific evidence that innings limits prevent injuries, so I'm thankful that there doesn't seem to be any sort of hard cap.

That said, I'm sure they'll be monitoring these guys closely as well.  We already saw them be pretty quick to pull the plug on Wells and give him a little reset.

Just another reason why Means coming back could be a big boost.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them go with a 7-man rotation with a Means/Wells piggyback once rosters expand.

12 minutes ago, DoobyDoo said:

Bradish pitched in the minors last year as well. He threw 27.2 innings in the minors in addition to the 117.2 in the majors.

Not sure how I messed that up, as I’m well aware he pitched in the minors last year. He had a 5 inning rehab start this year, too.  I’ll go back and fix the OP.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I did not realize that GRod was already at 122 innings.

He definitely looks very strong but how many more innings do they give him? 

I didn’t see him going past 150 innings this year but it looks like he will blow past that.

If he keeps throwing 6-7 innings per start, he'll be at 150 by mid-September.

Would you really not let him pitch in the playoffs because he threw 170-ish innings in the regular season?

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If he keeps throwing 6-7 innings per start, he'll be at 150 by mid-September.

Would you really not let him pitch in the playoffs because he threw 170-ish innings in the regular season?

I think it depends on how he looks.

I wouldn’t even consider endangering his arm if he is showing any signs of fatigue.

Next year is when the issues would likely crop up.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think it depends on how he looks.

I wouldn’t even consider endangering his arm if he is showing any signs of fatigue.

Next year is when the issues would likely crop up.

I guess I'd consider it if he got really bad results at the end of the year, or his fastball was topping out at 96-97 in the first inning, or something like that.

24 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Elias has said multiple times that there is no scientific evidence that innings limits prevent injuries, so I'm thankful that there doesn't seem to be any sort of hard cap.

That said, I'm sure they'll be monitoring these guys closely as well.  We already saw them be pretty quick to pull the plug on Wells and give him a little reset.

Just another reason why Means coming back could be a big boost.  Wouldn't be shocked to see them go with a 7-man rotation with a Means/Wells piggyback once rosters expand.

I think the only guy they monitor is Grayson. 

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I guess I'd consider it if he got really bad results at the end of the year, or his fastball was topping out at 96-97 in the first inning, or something like that.

Velo, mechanical changes, leaving the ball up a lot, etc…if a pattern emerges, you shut him down.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

They are already manipulating Wells innings.

That’s because he was sucking and was clearly tired. That’s because his history tells you he breaks down.

I wasn’t clear what I meant…I think GRod is the only guy they consider completely shutting down. Everyone else will end the season when the team does.