John Angelos continues to remind us how awful he is

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Is the governor going to wave a magic wand and make dozens of available acres of land appear around Camden Yards? Is the governor going to somehow make a suburban stadium location happen? The Orioles don’t have the kind of leverage or options that the Braves had. I think the best negotiating leverage the Orioles have is the outstanding play of the team. A World Series parade would put the orioles in a much better position than a whining son of the owner. But in the end this is all noise IMO. the Orioles will sign a lease although it may not be for as long as the state wants and the Orioles will get some sweet heart stuff in the deal. But I think there’s a lot of treading water until Peter passes and the Orioles are sold. 

I thought when Peter passes his wife gets the team? I could quite possibly be wrong but I thought that would be the case. 

We can discuss the brilliance of Elias/Sig, all of our young talent like Adley/Grayson/Gunnar, Hyde’s leadership abilities, whether we have enough pitching, our lack of post season experience, yada yada yada … The #1 issue with this franchise that is an impediment that simply will not/cannot be overcome longterm is the Angelos plague.

I have chosen to enjoy this run however long it last and then when it’s gone and he has managed to inevitably rid us of all of our awesomeness, I will accept it and move on. 

It is what it is, there is nothing that we can do to avoid what’s coming but sit back and enjoy the good times while we can.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Why don't we look at the impact baseball ops actually has on the health of an organization? San Diego, New York Mets, New York Yankees... tons of payroll, not a ton of success. The Mets started the season with Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander in their rotation. How'd that workout? 

Sometimes I think people would rather have the San Diego Padres as their rooting interest because they spend a lot of money.

I'm no Angelos apologist. I'm a winning apologist... .and obviously, you can stack the deck when you're spending $300MM in payroll YOY. Yes, there are certain guys they should be serious about extending and I hope they do so very early on in their careers. 

I *do* believe that there is a difference in ownership structure, ownership slipperyness, and operating incomes amongst different markets. RSN's like YES & NESN are likely going to cost more to advertise on because you're reaching 8 times as many people.

It doesn't mean the Orioles can't compete (as we're seeing right now.)

I would much prefer an ownership group more interested in winning than making money every year. But I don't think that's necessarily a binary choice - if you're good, you're gonna draw. And you don't necessarily have to spend $300MM on payroll to be good (as we see now.)

It's been a long time since the Orioles were good for a protracted period of time, so it will be extremely telling how they approach extensions & arbitration. 

In the case of the Yankees I'd say 30 straight years in the playoffs = success. 

51 minutes ago, Os4days said:

He is the kind of owner who makes you not want to be a fan of the team any longer. I’ve been a fan of the Os since I was a little kid (having to put up with Peter and his antics) but John’s perspective makes me think twice about vesting any more time and emotion into the team.

We sit here this year having maybe the best turnaround in MLB history enduring 6 years of being the laughing stock of the league. I can kind of accept that we didn’t go out and get any higher priced players before the trade deadline and deciding to keep our farm system in place. Maybe we stay competitive for the next 5 years but then we see all of our core players (who by the way play hard and just seem like great guys) never being offered any type of long term contract and forcing them to leave and sign somewhere else. 

By the way how do you think the players and coaches feel about this interview?  

If they let adley walk I’m done until the team is gone from this crappy family 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

We will not be extending anyone. Best to internalize that now and come to terms with it as soon as possible. 

John Angelos is a terrible human being. 

The team is going to be sold when Peter Angelos dies. John, his brother, and his mother cannot afford to keep the team after estate taxes hit. 

As long as PA dies before these players leave in free agency, then new ownership can and will extend them. In my opinion, it's a waste of time to lament how terrible John is as a person and baseball executive because this team will operate much differently under new ownership, and that time will hopefully come within the next few years. Although he certainly is a terrible person and baseball executive.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

In the case of the Yankees I'd say 30 straight years in the playoffs = success. 

Yes, their deck is permanently stacked, obviously. 

Why is that?

Is it because the Steinbrenner family values winning at any cost or is it because they can run their business this way without losing money?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

We will not be extending anyone. Best to internalize that now and come to terms with it as soon as possible. 

If there are any warehouse insiders who have damaging information on John Angelos that would force MLB to step in to facilitate a sale of the team, I have one thing to ask.

What are you waiting for?

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah, what a buzzkill he is.

To be honest though I think the O's should prioritize team friendly extensions, which is something im not sure Boras will do anyway. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Is the governor going to wave a magic wand and make dozens of available acres of land appear around Camden Yards? Is the governor going to somehow make a suburban stadium location happen? The Orioles don’t have the kind of leverage or options that the Braves had. I think the best negotiating leverage the Orioles have is the outstanding play of the team. A World Series parade would put the orioles in a much better position than a whining son of the owner. But in the end this is all noise IMO. the Orioles will sign a lease although it may not be for as long as the state wants and the Orioles will get some sweet heart stuff in the deal. But I think there’s a lot of treading water until Peter passes and the Orioles are sold. 

They would have to sign a lease that would be long enough to pay off the bonds. Heard around at least 13 -15 years. That is if they want improvements made. Unless the state house rewrites the bill ,probably not happening, the Orioles would get very little in state money for stadium improvements.  Of course John could pay for stadium improvements himself.

Just now, Going Underground said:

They would have to sign a lease that would be long enough to pay off the bonds. Heard around at least 13 -15 years. That is if they want improvements made. Unless the state house rewrites the bill ,probably not happening, the Orioles would get very little in state money for stadium improvements.  Of course John could pay for stadium improvements himself.

Also the bill is specific to the stadiums located in downtown Baltimore. 

9 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

If they let adley walk I’m done until the team is gone from this crappy family 

It's most likely that they're going to either trade Adley or extend him. 

He'll be 30 in his walk year if they don't extend him prior.... a 30 year old catcher isn't going to get $300MM from this organization.