Playoff Pitching Staff

DirtyBird

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

After much thought, here's my guess:

Starters: Bradish, Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Mid/Long: Irvin, Wells, Flaherty

Late: Webb, Perez, Cano, Bautista

1 more spot (Baumann, Fuji, Baker, Hall, Means)

Good list. Tough call between Kremer, Gibson, and Flaherty but I think they got Flaherty to be a starter and I think Kremer is the best of the three. I think I would stick Gibson in the bullpen. He pitched two shutout innings for the Phillies last year so he should be comfortable with that role. 

Coulombe should be in the 1 more spot group. 

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So many unknown things, but I am thinking a 12 man staff.

4 starters: Rodriguez, Bradish, Gibson and Flaherty (We seem to favor veterans)

8 in the pen: Bautista, Cano, Coloumbe, Perez, Means, Kremer, Irvin, Baumann

My starters:  Bradish, Rodriguez, Kremer,  4th Means (if healthy, otherwise Flaherty)

Back end of bullpen:  Cano, Coulombe, Webb, Bautista

Middle/Long relief: Irvin, Baumann, Perez, Wells (again if healthy, otherwise Gibson)

Last slot in bullpen might be between Irvin and Gibson for long man.  Not sure how many long relievers we need in the bullpen.  If the O's use a lot of long relievers, they will have a quick playoff exit. 

The problem with keeping all of these guys who are generally starters is that you need guys who can work high leverage situations. But I guess you might be going with your best 3-4 high leverage guys every time - it's not worth saving anyone. I think instead the Orioles starters are not going to deep into games, and they're going to need a variety of arms to get by inning by inning.

I think Baumann makes it, along with Cano, Coulombe, Webb and Bautista for traditional relievers.

It sure seems like they are pushing Means for a spot, but it's still a bit of a road ahead to pencil him in. When others say it's too early to talk about this, I think guys like him and Webb are prime examples.

Bradish, Flaherty, Rodriguez, and Gibson I would think would be the rotation. Unless Rodriguez struggles and they'd rather use him in the 'pen. Insert Means. I just don't see them not going with Gibson unless he implodes.

Irvin will be the interesting one to me. Maybe they'll get that clubhouse dog he's pushing for and someone he'll have to take it for a walk during games. Kremer has to make it, but I don't know what his role would be. I'd almost rather Grayson be used in the bullpen and situationally. Flaherty out of the bullpen could be interesting if he's able to get his velo up by doing so.

For the last spot, it's a toss up between Irvin, Perez and Hall for me. Let the best man win. I'm probably dropping Irvin. Hall has 15 strikeouts in his last 6.2 innings in AAA. I don't trust any of these three.

Edited by dzorange

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Last slot in bullpen might be between Irvin and Gibson for long man.  Not sure how many long relievers we need in the bullpen.  If the O's use a lot of long relievers, they will have a quick playoff exit. 

I dunno.    Some of the October fun is when nerds and Sigbots get their way, and the world's best pitchers are hooked before third time through the order because the data doesn't care if you did good the first two times.

Rich Hill, Blake Snell, Dodgers Max Scherzer - some of the reactions are priceless.    Rich Hill gets in that last sentence for reactions, not world's best.

Game 1 - Grayson holds a 1-0 lead in the 5th inning, but now it is Batter Faced 19 so we have to bring John Means in.     It might be as good as that promo photo he had to do for his AAA bobblehead back in summer.

And Nick Anderson and Felix Bautista pitch every day until something gives.

I would like to see a team use a starter in the playoffs.  A team's first 3 hitters are often the best 3 hitters on the team.  Having a back of bullpen guy w/ elite stuff know out the other team's best 3 hitters seems like a good idea.  I haven't watched much playoffs recently.  I have to admit I am more an O's fan than regular baseball fan.  Has it been tried?

9 hours ago, dzorange said:

I think Baumann makes it, along with Cano, Coulombe, Webb and Bautista for traditional relievers.

I think Baumann is on the chopping block after today. They will probably option Baumann like they did Bryan Backer, then option Vespi, and bring up Hall and Coulombe. I could also see a possibility that Fuji is DFA in order to make room for Wells or Means.

As for the the bulk of starting pitchers, I think they acquired Flaherty just to help the team arrive in October healthy. But I think once we get into the playoffs, Flaherty's services might no long be required unless he proves to be more reliable and consistent than he's been the totality of this season.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ll tell you one thing: they can leave Baumann off the playoff roster so far as I’m concerned.  I don’t trust him at all when the chips are down.  

I'm completely winging it here, but it seems like he's not been very reliable lately... especially in tight scenarios.

Went back and looked. 7.71 ERA and a 2.00 WHIP. I think he's starting to feel the innings.

Way too early and some of this is probably wishful thinking but here we go:

If Wild Card:

• SP:  Bradish, Rodriguez, Means
  • RP:  Bautista, Cano, Webb, Coulombe, Wells, Perez, Irvin, Hall, Baumann

If Division Series:

• SP:  Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer
  • RP: Bautista, Cano, Webb, Coulombe, Wells, Perez, Irvin, Hall

I’m probably putting too much hope in Means being one of the top 3 pitchers but Irvin and Kremer make me nervous and Gibson and Flaherty have not looked good.  I’m also probably putting too much hope in Hall and Wells being dependable late inning options.

SP: Bradish, Kremer, Grayson, Flaherty

RP: Felix, Cano, Coulombe, Wells, Webb, Hall, Gibson, Means, Fuji or Perez.

The last choice is fully dependent on Means. If he looks good, he should be on the roster. If not, go with Perez or Fuji, depending on the need for lefties. 

I’m very skeptical that GRod will still be pitching in Oct.

Too many unknowns right now to answer this.  How does Means look and what is his role? Besides Wells, who else in the minors comes up for the pen and how do they look?

I would be very surprised if Gibson and Flaherty were not in the rotation, as of today.  

Would be surprised if they had more than 12 pitchers..could even take 11.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m very skeptical that GRod will still be pitching in Oct.

Too many unknowns right now to answer this.  How does Means look and what is his role? Besides Wells, who else in the minors comes up for the pen and how do they look?

I would be very surprised if Gibson and Flaherty were not in the rotation, as of today.  

Would be surprised if they had more than 12 pitchers..could even take 11.

I expect Gray Rod to pitch as long as the O's are playing.  This is dependent on him being effective of course.