Adam Jones to retire as an Oriole in a ceremony on September 15

SteveA

9 minutes ago, accinfo said:

There is no issues with Mike Mussina and the Orioles from Mike’s point of view.  Mike was inducted in the Orioles Hall of Fame and came down and was honored.  Mike’s brother and I sat at a game less than a month ago with Mark’s son wearing an Orioles #35 Mussina jersey rooting for the Orioles.    

Mussina also showed for the OPACY 30rh anniversary ceremony, participated in interviews, etc.   

The issue with Mussina is purely that there are a lot of fans that hold it against him that he left the Orioles for the Yankees.  I’m not one of those fans, but I understand that he’ll never be universally loved in Baltimore the way that someone like Jones is, even though Mussina was the far better player and was here for a decade.  

Edited by Frobby

5 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Mussina seems like a guy who just kind of wants to ride off in the sunset and live a quiet life. Not really an ambassador type. Isn't he a basketball coach in Williamsport, PA?

He was but he even retired from that.  His brother Mark took that over.  Mike liked coaching his own kids.  Your portrayal of Mike is correct he is a ride into the sunset guy.  

4 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Mussina seems like a guy who just kind of wants to ride off in the sunset and live a quiet life. Not really an ambassador type. Isn't he a basketball coach in Williamsport, PA?

Having been treated to Brooks and Palmer as broadcasters, he's the heir for me if he was ever interested.    I agree he probably wants zero, but I keep a small hope he one day might have a little taste for maybe half the portfolio Palmer does now.

And of course thinking about Palmer more lately, feel better!

I already know most of what Ben McDonald will tell me about peak Grayson Rodriguez, but have good interest hearing what's in that other brain.    Not to replace Ben - both of them together at the luncheon I thought were good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad Jones and the Orioles have gotten past whatever the bone of contention was between them.  It’s been great seeing Adam have a presence at the ballpark this year on occasion.  And he deserves that ceremony.  

I’d love to see Adam and Nick Markakis be induced into the O’s HOF at the same time.  They were the yin and yang of those 2009-14 teams.

2110!

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

I don't think a window opens until Peter passes, but the pinnacle detente for Elias to broker is Mussina.

The Sigbot's mastery of baseball I think has some kinship with Mussina's approach to the game.     And I believe I have a good guess who a Thomas Jefferson high school pitcher going to pitch at Yale in a certain era's favorite Oriole would have been.

He was able to swing getting him back for the OPACY 30th luncheon.

Sounds like a fun night to be in the yard to bypass any broadcaster concerns.

I hope that never occurs. Not a fan of Mussina.

Great news about Adam. He was a very active member of the community in Baltimore. He deserves it.

Edited by Jim'sKid26

4 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I hope that never occurs. Not a fan of Mussina.

Great news about Adam. He was a very active member of the community in Baltimore. He deserves it.

Hard for me to fault Mussina, I know it's not popular opinion, but he gave the team a very friendly 3 year deal for 7M per, despite the players union not being happy about that, then the Yankees offered him 10.5M more in total value. Both teams were trending in different directions and I don't expect a guy to be completely loyal, when you've already given the team you are on a really friendly deal then they low-ball you for the big contract. Plus, they want to win Championships, despite him not winning one, he did get to play for some in the WS and that is what most players want, to win.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Great news. Hope we will get to see some of the 2014 crew reunite. I'll try to tune in for the ceremony. Jones was a great Oriole and this is well deserved. Oriole HOF announcement as well?

Not sure if we will be able to watch the ceremony since that game won't be on MASN. They shouldn't have scheduled this ceremony for an Apple TV+ game.

12 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Not sure if we will be able to watch the ceremony since that game won't be on MASN. They shouldn't have scheduled this ceremony for an Apple TV+ game.

Apple TV is the devil. If they are trying to expose their brand to baseball fans this is not the right way. Android 4 life!

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I have to think that no one realized it wasn’t in MASN, though that also seems impossible. This could’ve been scheduled for any home game and they pick the one that won’t be shown, which is kinda classic Os now that I think about it. 

19 hours ago, Malike said:

Hard for me to fault Mussina, I know it's not popular opinion, but he gave the team a very friendly 3 year deal for 7M per, despite the players union not being happy about that, then the Yankees offered him 10.5M more in total value. Both teams were trending in different directions and I don't expect a guy to be completely loyal, when you've already given the team you are on a really friendly deal then they low-ball you for the big contract. Plus, they want to win Championships, despite him not winning one, he did get to play for some in the WS and that is what most players want, to win.

We have hashed this issue out in other forms. Please see @Tony-OH reply to this on the other thread as he articulates it much better than I can. Suffice it to say, Mu$$ina is not my favorite Oriole by a long shot. You, or whomever else as I am not specifically singling you out, can make what ever excuses you wish to make. It will not change my mind. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

We have hashed this issue out in other forms. Please see @Tony-OH reply to this on the other thread as he articulates it much better than I can. Suffice it to say, Mu$$ina is not my favorite Oriole by a long shot. You, or whomever else as I am not specifically singling you out, can make what ever excuses you wish to make. It will not change my mind. 

I'm not attempting to change anyone's mind. I'm merely stating that this wasn't some nefarious plot to screw the Orioles over, Angelos did it to himself.