Mac Horvath 2023

Just Regular

Horvath played 3B his sophomore year but OF his junior year.  It sounded like he was drafted as a RF who might be able to handle CF.  However, he’s started 8 games each at 2B and 3B and only 2 in RF.   Looks like his immediate future might be infield.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Horvath played 3B his sophomore year but OF his junior year.  It sounded like he was drafted as a RF who might be able to handle CF.  However, he’s started 8 games each at 2B and 3B and only 2 in RF.   Looks like his immediate future might be infield.

Why would you say that? I believe with Santander, Mullins, Hays have less of a chance to be here long term than our infield. Urias is Arb 1 and the rest of the infield is not even close to Arbitration.

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'm under the impression that he played where the team needed him. Versatile kid, but probably played OF because there were better infielders, not because he couldn't play infield.

5 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I've found it interesting how much second base he's played so far. I need to go back and watch some plays to get an idea of how he's doing there and at 3B.

2 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Why would you say that? I believe with Santander, Mullins, Hays have less of a chance to be here long term than our infield. Urias is Arb 1 and the rest of the infield is not even close to Arbitration.

From an org build perspective, your points are valid.  But he's not making projections; he's reporting the news/weather. 

Either way, I suspect they are prioritizing his IF reps just to maximize his value through positional flexibility.  The floor as an OFer is already there.